It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Missing Marine arrives at US Beirut embassy

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2004 @ 03:20 PM
link   
A Lebanese-born United States Marine who went missing in Iraq and was reported at one stage to have been killed by militants is safe at the US embassy in Beirut, his family and US officials say.

US State Department spokesman Richard Boucher said 24-year-old Corporal Wassef Ali Hassoun had been picked up in Beirut after making contact, but gave few details.

"We were able to go get him this morning," Mr Boucher told reporters in Washington.

"He made contact with us."
A Lebanese-born United States Marine who went missing in Iraq and was reported at one stage to have been killed by militants is safe at the US embassy in Beirut, his family and US officials say.

US State Department spokesman Richard Boucher said 24-year-old Corporal Wassef Ali Hassoun had been picked up in Beirut after making contact, but gave few details.

"We were able to go get him this morning," Mr Boucher told reporters in Washington.
"He made contact with us."
www.abc.net.au...

Sanc'.

posted on Jul, 8 2004 @ 09:42 PM
link   
Glad he is safe...but I wonder what he was REALLY up to. Sounds more than a little suspicious to me.

posted on Jul, 8 2004 @ 09:56 PM
link   
how does an immigrant become a US Marine anyway? Does any of this sound funny to you? I can't see why they would release him and none of the others. Could he be a suiside marine or sent here by the bin laden, saddam groups?

posted on Jul, 8 2004 @ 10:03 PM
link   
I remembering hearing when he was first "kidnapped" that the terrorists would probably treat him worse than the other hostages because he was in the US military. kind of like a traitor to Islam. BUT that sure didn't prove true. While I know immigrants from Mexico enlist in the military and do well...I think it is strange for a middle easterner to enlist and then be sent right into the thick of things over there. They need to do some real digging into his background.

posted on Jul, 8 2004 @ 10:05 PM
link   
There are many immigrants who volunteer for service. This man is an American citizen and a marine. He had already served one tour in Iraq and was currently there on his second.

We should, at the very least, give him the benefit of the doubt on this and wait until all of the facts are in.

posted on Jul, 8 2004 @ 10:08 PM
link   
This is a very strange story no matter how you look at it. While I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt I said before and I say again...he has alot of answering to do. Nothing about any of his story makes any sense.

posted on Jul, 8 2004 @ 10:09 PM
link   
you are right there. nothing about this makes sense. US Marine or not.

posted on Jul, 8 2004 @ 10:20 PM
link   
It also does not make sense to desert your post, make a video in which you are being threatened with having your head cut off, then release a statement that you've been executed and then later retract that statement.

My hope - my hope, is that this man got too close to some of the Iraqi people and was kidnapped. Some of those people wanted to make an example out of him, but others wanted him released. And his release was the result of "cooler heads" prevailing.

While I agree that there are alot of questions to be answered, my enduring optimism insists on innocent until proven otherwise.

posted on Jul, 9 2004 @ 09:30 AM
link   
I'm sure what happened is he made an agreement with his captors to provide intelligence in the future - thus becoming a double agent. This possibility should have been foreseen by the CIA interrogators in charge of debriefing him...you would hope...

posted on Jul, 9 2004 @ 09:02 PM
link   
This whole thing gets wierder and wierder.

There are alot of foreigners in the US armed forces. There are many who dont even speak English, so a foreigner in the armed forces is not so odd.

Just this paticulkar situation gets wierder and wierder.

posted on Jul, 9 2004 @ 09:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Brian0U812
I'm sure what happened is he made an agreement with his captors to provide intelligence in the future - thus becoming a double agent.

Then his captors really aren't the smartest then are they? Do they think that this guy who has just come off one of the strangest episodes of the war is going to have ANY intelligence to give them? He is going to be the LAST person to know ANYTHING!

posted on Jul, 10 2004 @ 12:16 PM
link   
it is really strange KSmith69 it mean you didnt know before there is a lot of people from any race in this globe have becoming a US millitary even to the top ranking to USA BRIGADEIR GENERAL
well according to my record.
there is one strange but who care about it anyway it happen during the second world war when the US ARMY fight the JAPANNESE ARMY but the japannese people in the USA fight for USA in europe to bring down the NAZI ARMY

posted on Jul, 12 2004 @ 09:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jalengrma

Originally posted by Brian0U812
I'm sure what happened is he made an agreement with his captors to provide intelligence in the future - thus becoming a double agent.

Then his captors really aren't the smartest then are they? Do they think that this guy who has just come off one of the strangest episodes of the war is going to have ANY intelligence to give them? He is going to be the LAST person to know ANYTHING!

posted on Jul, 12 2004 @ 09:28 AM
link   
[edit on 12-7-2004 by Brian0U812]

join