It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

EXECUTED man gets pardon..

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 12:14 AM
link   
DENVER — A mentally disabled man executed more than 70 years ago has been pardoned in Colorado.

well they are a little late!!! lol .. we sure do have one messed up legal system don't we? i wander what his family thinks about this? if anyone has any similar stories i would like to see them, just to see how often this kinda
thing happens in our world. here is the story.

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 12:31 AM
link   
Of all the reason against capital punishment, this one is the most compelling.

If you put aside the emotion and the need for revenge, you will see that capital punishment is permanent.
If a person is later found to be innocent, it cannot be reversed. In this case who is responsible for the murder of the person convicted? At least with a life sentence, the person can be released and the truly guilty are still kept away from society.

I have read of several cases where DNA has found people innocent of crimes that were committed before DNA was a accepted science in the justice system.

I always worry a bit when I hear about prosecutors that have close to 100% conviction rate, to me this means that some innocent people were put away, not everybody that comes to trail is guilty. The founding fathers set the system up the way they did to try and avoid this.

With all the information we hear about our corrupt justice system (I speak about the USA), do you really think we should trust a person's life to the system in the condition it is in at this time.

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 12:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Dreamwatcher

well said, this is one messed up world we inhabit for sure .

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 12:50 AM
link   
I actually see this story as a positive. It doesn't erase the mistake made, nor the family's pain and shame that they had to endure. It doesn't change anything except providing long-overdue vindication for a family's honor (even if the crime was forgotten through time.)

The most important thing is that the pardon is an admission by the government that government makes mistakes. That really is something that has become rare these days, and perhaps someone inside the judicial system will remember this pardon; A reminder to tread carefully through the law, because they might make a mistake.

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 12:53 AM
link   
reply to post by blamethegreys

always good to see the positive
i hope it gave the family piece of mind

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 12:59 AM
link   
This is just one of the reasons I go back and forth on the death penalty. Man is fallable and to play guessing games with someone's life is not something I would want to do.

I have a list here en.wikipedia.org... of those "Ooops" moments made by our court system/government.

I think most of these cases involved police that wanted to close the case quickly and somewhat queitly. It really is a shame and surprising how often it happens.
edit on 8-1-2011 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 01:13 AM
link   
I consider this a positive thing.

This Governor admitted that they made a mistake and this man should not have been executed.

I sure haven't seen any other state official do something like this before. Innocent people have been executed many of times through out the history of our country, but you never hear a state official admit that the state did wrong.

This to me is the governor showing the family that they were wrong and in a way apologize.

I give this a thumbs up in my book

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 01:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Kangaruex4Ewe

thanks for that link! it really is a shame to see all the innocent people go down for something and then get cleared when it is to late and the gov. suffers no consequence...

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 02:00 AM
link   
reply to post by oswego

No consequence at all. You or I take someone's life wronglyand suddenly we are looking at either capital murder or at the very least manslaughter.

The government does it, and it's an "ooops", a check (maybe), and an "oh well. you have to crack a few eggs to make an omelet."

Funny how they get to play by a whole other set of rules...

edit on 8-1-2011 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

top topics

join