It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

High-tech messages from the grave

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2004 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Inventors usually try to come up with things that will change people's lives. But Robert Barrows is hoping to make an impact after their death. He is patenting video-equipped tombstones to let cemetery visitors watch messages from the dead.

Barrows, of Burlingame, California, has filed a patent application for a hollow headstone fitted with a flat LCD touch screen (US 2004/85337). It also houses a computer with a hard disc or microchip memory that allows the deceased to speak from the grave through a video message.

They might just relate their life stories, says Barrows, or worse: they could confess to lurid indiscretions. "It's history from the horse's mouth."

The tombstone would draw its electricity from the cemetery's lighting system. And to avoid a grave's soundtrack clashing with the one next door, people can also listen through wireless headphones.

More: www.newscientist.com...

Perhaps morbid, but quite an interesting idea if you could control the theft and vandalism. And you thought that tombstones were ridiculously priced before.

posted on Jul, 8 2004 @ 02:30 PM
link   
interesting idea, but as you've mentioned...lots of $$$ and imagine the theft rate of touch-screen tombstones

posted on Jul, 8 2004 @ 02:35 PM
link   
if we wanna prevent theft, why not hire a couple of zombies and ghouls to guard the cemetaries?
i know an humble vampire who could be their leader.

posted on Jul, 8 2004 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Would make for some good ideas in a horror movie. Im not sure about having these things in graveyards but indoor crematories would be good.

posted on Jul, 8 2004 @ 03:05 PM
link   
I don't even want to know what Dubya's will say when he's passed away - lol

I wonder who would pay for repair services...next of kin?? Seems like one more method of other people making money off of you after you die

posted on Jul, 8 2004 @ 04:54 PM
link   
i have put some thought into this,you could have a hole cematary with
touch sceens and one big computer to work it all and befor you die
pay 50 bucks a month in inavance for how long as you want.
or you could have a web site, say your kid is five and you have cancer
you could leave a video for all of his bithdays and other videos that are inportant.also pics. imagene wacthing video of you greatgrand father3 or 4
just a few ideas does it seem creapy to you

new topics

top topics

join