It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK THREAT LEVELS FOR TRANSPORT INCREASED

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 08:22 PM
link   
Have been reading about this for a few days and resisted posting in the hope that there would be at least something to justify the actions.
Nothing really to add.
Over the Christmas/new year was at 3 UK airports and flew to Ukraine.
I noticed unprecadented security presence.
In fact at Boryspil airport in Kiev they was checking almost all baggage AFTER arrivals using scanners and 12 staff in the process.
In the UK they maintain no immediate info to suggest an attack is imminent-yet the rating is critical.
One level down from imminent.
My thoughts are that they dont want the airline industry to suffer more losses after the volcanic ash and snow lately.
Gov relies heavilly on taxes from the industry.

here is a link-although reported by UK media,the US have picked up on it.

online.wsj.com...

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 08:43 PM
link   
I'd keep an eye and ear out for training excercises going on. That's when things get risky.

History repeats itself and maybe this rise in the threat level is to prompt preperations for an event rather than prevent one.

Be safe folks.

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 08:55 PM
link   
i travelled from heathrow T5 in the uk to france and back over the xmas period, and the security was no different to usual.. in fact it was pretty slack compared to what your explaining, i didnt see anyone checking bags, other than the usual xray of hand luggage, in both countries and on both journeys.. to be honest i didnt actually see that many customs officials at all, other than the general ones at passport control and when you go airside. (body and bag xray)
i didnt even have to take my shoes off.

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 07:23 AM
link   
reply to post by martin3030

Currently the threat level to the UK is at severe, the second highest level meaning a attack is highly likely based on current intelligence. This warning system is part of the CONTEST stagey and is issued by JATC who collect intelligence on the threat of terrorist attacks against the UK to advise government and issue a threat level. As a result of this government bodies such as the police, fire and rescue, NHS, local counsel’s, and even the military and business’s prepare for possible attacks including airlines.

What JATC don’t do for obvious reasons is tell us is specific intelligence that directs the threat level. It is possible that just now the security services have a few ongoing investigations indicating that there are terrorist groups in the UK who have the intent and recourses to carry out a terrorist attack on UK soil and therefore an attack is “highly likely”. But for obvious reasons they are not going to post on their website “the threat level is sever because Omar down the road has just got back from Pakistan and has 4 tons of industrial fertiliser in his shed and a couple of detonators.” Also the threat level is always higher at this time of the year, more people travailing, more targets, bigger public gathering and psychological significance means that an attack is more likely, and that is without access to JATC’s intelligence.

Also in your thread you said the threat level was “critical” this is not true, its “Severe” overall. A few days ago the threat level to the London transport net work was increased but not the overall threat level to the UK which remains at Severe. You also said there was a level above “critical” you called “imminent” this is not true, the highest level is critical meaning that attack is imminent.

You said you thought this was because it benefited the Airlines having a higher security level, which is not true. It costs Airlines more when the threat is sever, impacts on their overall shear price, might even put off passengers form flying if they think they are about to be blown out of the sky. I remember after the volcanic ash could in the UK an airline boss saying that the threat level was hitting possible airline profits because of the additional resources that have to be implemented to respond to this threat level.

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 07:33 AM
link   
Just stay scared people! If there was any genuine, real or palpable threat to our safety they would not be announcing the security changes to the public. As long as you are constantly scared about everything, all is fine.

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by ProudtobeEnglish

Thank you for your corrections on the threat levels-I was very tired when I posted as it was late.
My comments about the airlines were that in the last year or so the industry has been devastated with heavy losses due to the volcanic ash and snow,plus industrial action.
By increasing its focus on airports and main transport hubs,it is obviously going to worry lots of people taking flights in and out of the UK
Therefore I was meaning that the last thing the country needs is more damage to the industry-and an attack on an airport or flight would be a major coup for the terrorists.
Following the London bombings a car was found parked at Luton Train Station which is very close to Luton Airport-it is thought that the london bombs were put together in Luton-and more were found in the car.
There is always Police at Luton with machine guns and sniffer dogs-they routinely patrol 24/7

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 12:58 PM
link   
reply to post by martin3030

I think you meant to reply to the poster above me

I'll get you a coffee

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Thanks white with 2 sugar please

new topics

top topics

join