It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Drill Close to Reaching 14-Million-Year-Old Antarctic Lake

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 11:54 PM
link   
I really hope they know what they are drilling into, some are claiming it is methane gas, yeah mate just about there, break open the vodka. kaboooooooom whooooooooooooooo there goes Vladamir into outer space

Just for the record anyone know how many countries have bases at Antartica, more the point why some of these countries with very little money have, always baffled me,anyway take a look at the link

Antarctica bases

edit on 7-1-2011 by auswally because: (no reason given)

edit on 8-1-2011 by auswally because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 12:00 AM
link   
I would put my money in the pool of no life, but plenty of preserved fossils.

Just doesn't seem plausible based on how they imagine the quick onset of the ice happened.

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 12:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by plexus

I believe what will happen and what should happen, is it should be considered along the lines of an Inter-National Park or a Living Museum of some kind.. Imagine if we do discover new species, and we are able to one day visit them.. or perhaps bring a couple back for our own zoological societies..

If there's nothing conspiratorial under there, then it could likely become a World Heritage Site, a project of UNESCO. If there are ancient ruins, or ET's, or Nazis...then we won't hear anything more on Vostok.

Here's World Heritage Org's page:
whc.unesco.org...

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 12:12 AM
link   
If they do find life there, I hope they search Europa and if no life is found, we can genetically engineer any bacteria found in Vostok to survive on the moon. Now that is a pretty amazing though, far cooler than killing us all with GMO Corn!

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 12:14 AM
link   
Thanks for the article, I have never heard about this before reading here tonight, I find it fascinating! I will most likely spend most of the rest of my night reading about the lake. Star and flag, please keep your thread updated, this will be big news!

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 12:15 AM
link   
reply to post by sbctinfantry

down with GMOs. grow heirlooms friends.

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 12:17 AM
link   
I was getting confused here. Figured it out. Two threads, same title. Can they get combined?

www.abovetopsecret.com...&addstar=1&on=10271849#pid10271849

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 12:21 AM
link   
If it can happen i'd be happy, I didn't realize until it was too late

I intend on staying with this topic for weeks and months to come hopefully, and will update with any salient information acquired.

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 01:35 AM
link   
What are they really looking for ?? Core samples of what ?? Lots of money time and effort !! In such a remote location...

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 04:21 AM
link   
reply to post by UmbraSumus

Thanks for the post, it was an interesting documentary. The probes only the size of a washing up liquid bottle... i'm worried that it's going to get gobbled up by some nessie sized sea monster down there :O

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 11:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Yukitup

Hmm... a bug not seen for 14 000 000 years wow. Better find some 14 000 000 year old mold to make some ancient penicillin.

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 12:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Terrormaster

Horray! Cthulhu rises again! May he wreak havoc on all who would dominate the world! Hehe... Cthulhu loves you, folks, in a sandwich!
I wonder however, is it wise to violate such a pristine lake with our contaminated drills and probes? What will really be the impact of our fiddling with a lake that hasn't seen the light of day in thousands, or hundreds of thousands of years...It is a wonderful discovery, but delicate.

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 01:10 PM
link   
To not explore would be folly, and to explore would have consequences. The documentary offered one insight into how it could be done, but I think that in the end we will have to get hands on the lake to learn the most about it. Inevitable contamination will occur, but hopefully there can be pristine samples salvaged before that occurs.

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 07:30 PM
link   
reply to post by auswally

cheers for that, precisely what i was looking for

and yeah, only so long can you go under the guise of atmospheric and geological research, besides the oceans our snow caps are some of the most unexplored regions on earth and considering the freaks of existence we do acknowledge today, it can only make me very excited for what could still be out there

top topics

<< 1   >>

join