It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oh, the Canadiens are going for our businesses!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 04:38 PM
link   
I am surprised no on has posted this information yet. It seems Canada must be in the pockets of the Corporations. They have lowered their corporate tax rates to 16.5%. Hmmm, that is less than half of the US Corporate tax rate.

Oh those evil Canadians. They have sold out to the corporations.

Canada has lowered their Corporate Tax Rates to 16.5%

American lefties typically gaze northward with envy at Canada's high taxes, socialized medicine (never mind the waiting lists and Canadians fleeing southward for quick access to technology unavailable at home), and higher-density, mass transit-dependent cities. But The Canadians have figured out something that eludes American progressives: taxing corporations is a silly way to raise revenue for the state, as it hinders job creation, Phred Dvorak writes in the Wall Street Journal:

"Canada's government says the cuts and other business-attracting measures should bring more investment to the country. Economists say it's tough to figure out what the actual effects of such moves are, though some companies say Canada's relatively low taxes and stable financial and regulatory environment swayed their decisions to move operations and capital north."

Yeah, I wonder what the US will do? Will they file sanctions against Canada?

Oh well, things are CERTAINLY GETTING INTERESTING!

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 04:45 PM
link   
A reasonable tax rate evil? I think not, sounds good to me. Let this be an example to the united states. You realize small business owners like myself have to option to form a corporation, its not like this is just helping the fat cats, its helping the little guys out to. Still not as good as the cayman islands, no income taxes there, nor property taxes as it should, and they still do just fine.

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 04:52 PM
link   
The Canadiens are a NHL team from Montreal
GO HABS GO

but Canadians are .. well Canadians
lol

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 04:55 PM
link   
The stable Canadian banks are stealing all your finance!
www.msnbc.msn.com...

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 05:06 PM
link   
reply to post by saltheart foamfollower

Canada slashes corporate tax rate to 16.5%

That's too funny. I heard that on CNN the other day. We "slashed" our tax rate from 18% to 16.5%

It was almost half the USA rate to begin with.

Only thing is, that our economy is sitting still, because the US economy is still in the toilet. Our politicians are coming on the news telling us, that even though it looks like our jobs might be slowly coming back, that they need the US jobs to come back before we can be confident about our job market.

They're also telling us to save our money and pay down our debts, in case the US tanks again.

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 05:33 PM
link   
reply to post by saltheart foamfollower

The way I see it is the Canadians are trying to entice businesses to set up in their back yard. I say good on them.
Canada Is a wonderful country. Although facing the same kind of police state situation as the UK and the other commonwealth countries I feel they can get over this.
I personally have never met a Canadian I did not like... Sure there are exceptions but that is the general world view as far as I have gauged .
If it was not so cold in the winter I may even move there

Regards

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 05:41 PM
link   
Thanks for the comments. If you do not know me, I was being facetious or sarcastic which ever descriptor you would like to use.

I have a question for our resident tax increasers, if corporate taxes are lower in say Canada, and they are higher in the US, could that have an effect on say prices of.................. medical? I mean, we all know the corporations pay directly the taxes correct? They do not just pass them along to the customers, or DO THEY?

Yes, the current corporate tax rates in the US are at around 35%, depending on income level. Now, if you add in the state corporate tax rates which vary from 0-10%, you could have a 45-49% corporate tax rate.

Oh well, this could not have anything to do with the flight of companies away from the US could it?

Noooooooo, it must be something else.

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 05:48 PM
link   
When the economy tanks welcome to the american fire sale.

Are we crying that we are losing another company to a foreign country on our own continent?

canadians are still not from the usa can we trust they will open auto plants in america, or canada?

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Our personal taxe rates have also been lowered.
Canada doesn't have to be subdued per se, so they aren't going to crush us down the way (IMHO) that they are going to smash the US.

The elites like to sit on the side lines and watch the fun, and we have some very nice rowing clubs and wine stores here, and the banks aren't so unstable.
( during the Civil War the Washingtonians with their parasols and picnic baskets went to watch Johnny Reb get his, then got over run in the rout)

you know the CN Tower has quite a view across the lake.

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 05:54 PM
link   
Don't think of it as Canadian's stealing your business', so much as getting back at you for the 80's!

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by saltheart foamfollower
I have a question for our resident tax increasers, if corporate taxes are lower in say Canada, and they are higher in the US, could that have an effect on say prices of.................. medical? I mean, we all know the corporations pay directly the taxes correct? They do not just pass them along to the customers, or DO THEY?

Yes, the current corporate tax rates in the US are at around 35%, depending on income level. Now, if you add in the state corporate tax rates which vary from 0-10%, you could have a 45-49% corporate tax rate.

Oh well, this could not have anything to do with the flight of companies away from the US could it?
Noooooooo, it must be something else.

Ouch. USA Medical.

That's a whole other mess down there.

Thankfully, we've had medical up here, for decades.

canadians are still not from the usa can we trust they will open auto plants in america, or canada?

We have an auto plant or 2 in Ontario. We could definitely use more....

Our personal taxe rates have also been lowered.

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 06:18 PM
link   
Another perspective is lower tax rates in Canada, help existing American owned companies to be profitable in Canada.

top topics

join