It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Drill Close to Reaching 14-Million-Year-Old Antarctic Lake

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 02:43 PM
link   
reply to post by St Udio

I have to say that your reply was the best one.

Hands down.

And, unfortunately, most accurate as to what I believe will happen.

Peace

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 04:07 AM
link   
This thread's been fascinating! Whatever's found there, it'll be really interesting I'm sure.

It would make my day if it was Atlantis though! Although on second thoughts that could be either a good or a bad thing I suppose, if it indeed does exist.

I can't wait to see what we learn from this!

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 06:57 AM
link   
i wonder if they will allow people to come and get bottled water from there. i bet that water would make you de age and regress all states of ease that are of discomfort.

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 10:48 AM
link   
Wouldn't suprise me if this is the part in the bible regarding the key to the abyss, after seeing what we've done to the planet god knows what else can happen.
But there's another clue as to its relevance because why do I get the feeling that this must be opened on a certain date? And also other locations of the angels that are bound that are to be released for a specific hour?

I also have an inkling that this location could be a pretty interesting in regard to the hollow earth theory?
This will be a massive catalyst for change and discovery however it could also turn out to hold something that we unwittingly release.

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 11:13 AM
link   
In keeping with the recurring movie theme "The Thing"

One could imagine a soon to be seen headline.

"It came from 14 Million BC"

Actually good for them. I can't wait to see the data. This is amazing.

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 11:31 AM
link   
s&f op

also awesome videos, thanks guy

I hope it isn't a reservoir for folks who may dwell on the inside of our planet.

I in no way condone this tampering.

So, inner earth dudes, those comrades down there with the auger, that's their deal, i just found out about your reservoir like literally 5 minutes ago, I'm with you guys, they shouldn't be dipping straws in your juice.

Hopefully it's not full of aquazombies or disease

maybe its full of skittles?

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ausar
i bet that water would make you de age and regress all states of ease that are of discomfort.

or it would kill you.

either way someones bound to take a sip sooner or later

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 10:06 PM
link   

either way someones bound to take a sip sooner or later
reply to post by vermonster

With Russia/Putin. The "someones" may not be given a choice in the matter.

If they find something big-the will stop at nothing to preserve it. That is why I was wondering if any US folks are along for the ride.

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 02:08 PM
link   
reply to post by anon72

Imagine if they find Life (and not only micobes) in that frozen abyss.....

What on other moons and planets in our solar system?

Io, Callisto, Europa, Titan, Rhea, Enceladus, Ganymede, Iapetus, Thetys, Dione....... MARS, VENUS?

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Onboard2
Yes, it is fascinating. I'd be interested in their findings. I was watching a documentary last night and earth has had six extinction events and the last one was 65 million years ago, if that's accurate.

What documentary was talking about 6 ELEs? I'm curious to know. I'd love to watch that show.

Thanks in advance!

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 07:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Arken

You make an excellent point about the other moons out there.

Maybe that is why Russia is so into it-for bigger plans elsewhere.

Something else, why isn't there US reps there-if there aren't? I don't believe Russia has claim rights there. Do they?

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 10:34 AM
link   
I have been gone from ATS for a couple months, and come back and see this interesting thread.

I don't know whether to be excited or worried. They are tapping into something millions of years old, that they will be examining a frozen sample of. frozen samples do thaw even if just the outer layer thaws, and who is to say if there are microbes that they would not be in the outer layer, and who knows how fast they would reproduce, if in fact they even exist. Then again in a less rich oxygen atmosphere, would they even survive (I sure hope not), if they do indeed exist.

On the other hand it would be interesting to find perhaps vegetation, of some sort, in the sample. Or even a bug from millions of years ago, but again, would it be possible that they could be contaminated by a disease that this world has not seen in millions of years?

Like I stated I am on the fence as to whether be excited or worried.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 10:39 AM
link   
reply to post by AlienCarnage

Something that old would be totally alien to our world and also our immune systems. Just hope nothing nasty comes of this

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 10:40 AM
link   
Something like that time capsul should be treated as fragil as possible. Who knows what microbes are present within that can become airborn again I hope they are treating this with utmost care. 14 mill. yr. is a long time and if things are alive in there wow large or small.
S&F op good find.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 09:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Blue Shift

I was just thinking of that exact movie, might find the little grey guys base
joking aside would be intereting if they do find any life down there

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 02:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by vermonster

maybe its full of skittles?

I just smacked myself in the forehead for not thinking of this,

But seriously 14 million year old skittles?

GROSS!!!

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 02:29 AM
link   
The only way I can see to keep microbes from releasing into the air would be to pump water down after the drill and let it freeze before breaking into the actual lake itself.

For the water to not be frozen would it not have to be salty?

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by geo1066
...The article states that the Lake has basically been entombed for 14 million years. Now if that's the case and scientist state that "civilasation" has been around for 12 thousand years, then where do all of the ancient, unexplained maps date from that show Antarctica as a land bearing continent and not ice covered?

That's an incredibly astute observation -- and a great question!

I suppose that one answer could be that we've mapped it during one of the periodic warming periods that the planet has undergone which resulted in a thawed Antarctica. However, this theory would seem implausible in light of the amount of ice currently accumulated on the southern continent. Could 4+ kilometers of ice accumulate in 10-12 thousand years??

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 01:47 PM
link   
You do raise a great question/point.

Which leads me to think that not all of the things we believe to be true are.

I would put my money on the most recent intel instead of old stuff----just for the tech advances we have had.

I think the point about it being salty water or not.

I think it will be frozed solid-all the way to the bottom. no water.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Yukitup

Originally posted by geo1066
...The article states that the Lake has basically been entombed for 14 million years. Now if that's the case and scientist state that "civilasation" has been around for 12 thousand years, then where do all of the ancient, unexplained maps date from that show Antarctica as a land bearing continent and not ice covered?

Could 4+ kilometers of ice accumulate in 10-12 thousand years??

Actually I think that it's very plasible. In light of our global climate extremes as of lately and Antarctica is the coldest continent, let's just put a number out there-

How about 12 inches of snow every day which is..
365 feet per year and a kilometer is .62 miles and
a mile is 5280 ft so
a kilometer is 3281 feet or
3281 days of 12 inches of snow which comes out
9 years to accumulate a kilometer of snow or
36 years for 4 kilometers thick....wait

But we are talking ice here-
It takes approximately 1 foot of snow to make 1 inch of ice so let's start over-

365 inches of ice per year
@30 1/2 feet of ice per year or
.009 kilometers per year which would make it
111 years for a kilometer of ice....Alright, now we got it

The Answer is-

It would only take 444 years to acumulate 4 kilometers of ice at 12 inches of snow per day

That would make the maps more plasible but thier dating of the lake I would think is a little outta wack,

Now if it only averaged a half an inch per day, that's still only 10656 years

wiki.answers.com...

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join