It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Drill Close to Reaching 14-Million-Year-Old Antarctic Lake

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 07:28 PM
link   
As posted in another thread that I made by mistake without realising the existence of this one..

I'm predicting extremely alien species of fish and other aquatic life, and also on a giant level compared to what we have here on tera firma poor eye sight, no color diversity, and possibly giant in size..

As also linked to previously, here's another article from Wired discussing the levels of oxygen saturation in our environment during the cretaceous and jurassic periods and its impact on insects and plant species.

I wonder what predators will look like, and what their prey will look like too.

As stated previously, We have the need to explore the furthest reaches of our galaxy, when there are still places on this earth that man has not conceived the ability to venture.

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 07:50 PM
link   
The Vid sounded good, until I heard the presenter say:

"We evolved" from Microbes.

LMOA.

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 08:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by aoi3610
The Vid sounded good, until I heard the presenter say:

"We evolved" from Microbes.

LMOA.

Where do you think all life on earth evolved from?

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 08:41 PM
link   
Posted in the other thread about this, and now realized that this is the "active" thread.

Copy/pasting my other post here:

Originally posted by DamaSan
Vostok...

Isn't that where the strange magnetic anomaly was discovered, deep UNDER lake Vostok? Anyone remember that? About 2 or 3 years ago, there were reports that a geo-imaging satellite found a magnetic anomaly way under the lake, and thought that it was either some sort of man-made structure that would have to date farther back than we have record for... or some country is violating the Antarctic Treaty with a deep underground facility.

Gonna have to look for sources on this one... it was one of those MSM stories that popped up one day, and was never talked about again just a few days later.
edit on 7-1-2011 by DamaSan because: spelling

www.bibliotecapleyades.net...

www.enterprisemission.com...

greyfalcon.us...

www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 7-1-2011 by DamaSan because: added links

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 08:46 PM
link   
And they shall awaken the dread Cthulhu, who lies dead but dreaming in R'lyeh....

sorry, couldn't resist.

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by jazz10
reply to post by anon72

Theres going to be a massive discovery thats earth changing here.

something seems to be delicate and important enough to wait for. Must be very important. 8 Yrs? What was the event that took place that caused an 8 yr wait?

As for the 50 times higher oxygen levels reminds me of the film The Abbys when theyre breathing oxygenated water.The cube? Wasnt there a tale of a cube that was of massive importance and could create life or was a key? I cant wait to see whats discovered, what ever it is im sure this will be mentioned straight away in media.

Plant life releases O2. Plant life breaths in CO2. My question is: What's releasing the CO2?

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 09:01 PM
link   
I've been curious about Lake Vostok for awhile now, I for one can't wait til they break through. Unfortunately I think we all know that if something Earth shattering is discovered down there, we'll never hear about it.

Ok, conspiracy angle out of the way, for me I'm most excited about how this will impact how we eventually explore Europa. This is a great test run on how to get through the ice out there without contaminating the water below. I didn't watch the videos and I skimmed over the posts so I apologize if I'm repeating, but I believe I saw somewhere that Jim Cameron's brother is working on a vehicle that will explore Vostok and eventually go to Europa, this is exciting.

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 09:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by EricLintScD
Fascinating and foolish at the same time, you don't know what unknowns could be down there, something that could even make humanity extinct! Yes may sound stupid but you really dont know.

The real problem is that this lake is the earth's BOB for armeggedon and we are cracking it open. So much for the Earth coming back after the enxt wipeout..

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 10:04 PM
link   
This is incredible!!! i cant wait to hear what they find!!!

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 11:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Onet Wosix

very interesting vid indeed! thanks for putting that up there~!

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 11:58 PM
link   
Okay, as fasinating as this might be, I'm really starting to get confused here. The article states that the Lake has basically been entombed for 14 million years. Now if that's the case and scientist state that "civilasation" has been around for 12 thousand years, then where do all of the ancient, unexplained maps date from that show Antarctica as a land bearing continent and not ice covered?

Links to just a few threads discussing the maps-

This one is specifically about Antarctica-
edit on 8-1-2011 by geo1066 because: sp?

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 12:23 AM
link   
Key to the bottomless pit?
Yikes, and away...

-PS

I've a bad feeling about this as well. We seem to have a convergence of unusual events happening globally. And now we can add this to the mix.

"That cold ain't the weather - that's death approaching...."
-"30 Days Of Night"

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 12:23 AM
link   
reply to post by geo1066

Without being too "pun-tastic", we may literally be on the tip of the ice berg as far as possible human evolution is concerned..

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 02:32 AM
link   
50x more oxygen???

They might find something 50x bigger, meaner, more terrifying down there than the biggest we have on the water/surface, of course, living and breathing...

Unfortunately, the moment it breaks to the surface, it will die from suffocation as it has not accustomed to 50x less oxygen.

Or something emerges from the hole with bat wings and with incandescent glow, saying "I have conquered!"
- From the record deep drill incident at Kola Peninsula, USSR
edit on 8-1-2011 by ahnggk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 03:07 AM
link   
This is by far my new favorite topic and i will be doing some heavy research into Vostok.

Granted when I say heavy i only mean setting in my recliner searching the internet as it is much too cold there for my taste

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 05:39 AM
link   
reply to post by jazz10

please separate Transformers from reality

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 06:10 AM
link   
perhaps the lake should be renamed Pandora

as in Pandra's Box and all the world's ills getting released

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 06:10 AM
link   

Fascinating and foolish at the same time, you don't know what unknowns could be down there, something that could even make humanity extinct! Yes may sound stupid but you really dont know.

I would look the other way around.What could be down there(if anything) could extinct because of the discovery.
Organisms that live in a enviroment sealed off for 14 million years can be very sensitive to the earth's enviroment as it is right now.

It is fascinating and i wish i could be there when they finally reach the lake.It would be like an alien enviroment for us humans,with "alien"organisms.

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 07:12 AM
link   
I think this is an exciting opportunity for science to prove that they can sample this lake without contaminating it. The prospect of contamination has been the main stumbling block with this venture but the method they are employing seems pretty good. This would also serve as a good practise run for an exploration of Europa. I just hope they don't get to "gung ho" and f### it up.

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 07:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phantom traveller

I would look the other way around.What could be down there(if anything) could extinct because of the discovery.
Organisms that live in a enviroment sealed off for 14 million years can be very sensitive to the earth's enviroment as it is right now.

It is fascinating and i wish i could be there when they finally reach the lake.It would be like an alien enviroment for us humans,with "alien"organisms.

Yes, this can be looked at either way... either there's something down there that we could cause to go extinct or that could cause us to go extinct. Either way, it does seem foolish to remove a barrier that was put there naturally. IMO we should wait for nature to remove the barrier. We humans, in our rush to understand, can be so foolish sometimes to actually believe that we can control anything thrown at us. Fact is, there are things that we do not understand and that we could not control. This is one of them.

For the scientists to purport that they have developed a method to sample without contaminating the lake is a guess at best. It is foolish.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join