It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So you want to head for the hills?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 01:35 PM
link   
If the SHTF and you want too get out of the big city's, if you can, were to go? the hills? think again, do you know how to make a lean too, look of food, hunt, fish and trap,know what too eat when there is no game, plants berries and yes bugs, is the farmer/ land owner going to to help you or kill you for trespassing, is the game safe to eat fish elk deer, bear? do you know how to cook/trap beaver snake rabbit possum, squirrel, and skunk? do they have rabies? do you know the sings of rabies? can you live off the land and know how to do the above then by all means head for them hills, and stock up on seeds, corn, wheat, beans, do you know how to grow them take care of them? see what your zone is and go from there, how far up in too the hills do you plan on going, are you ready for deep snow? do you have snow shoes? do you plan on running or make it the rest of life up there, build cabin tilling the soil raising game food/ cows deer chickens do you know how to milk that cow? clean a chicken, or skin a deer, elk or bear. First aid how to splint the broken leg /arm treat a gun shot wound, snake bite.
So do you think you are ready for them there hills?

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 02:02 PM
link   
reply to post by bekod

Mostly.

Whats your point tho? That most of ATS are ignorant to this? I think you're in for a surprise.

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 02:12 PM
link   
reply to post by badw0lf

this is for them that think it is going to be easy grab BOB and go, not really knowing what the Hills woods are like, and have not thought it through, did not think this out, let say you make it out of the city up too the hills it dark cold now what do you do, and to make it real interesting you have kids with you, and they are the unruly type, so what is you plan of action? and to really add to the mix an EMP was used so you batt's are dead, and say it was spring time 70Deg F in the city 20 Deg F up here in the hills. are you prepaid for what is in store for you?

edit on 7-1-2011 by bekod because: word corection and added info

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by bekod
If the SHTF and you want too get out of the big city's, if you can, were to go? the hills? think again, do you know how to make a lean too, look of food, hunt, fish and trap,know what too eat when there is no game, plants berries and yes bugs, is the farmer/ land owner going to to help you or kill you for trespassing, is the game safe to eat fish elk deer, bear? do you know how to cook/trap beaver snake rabbit possum, squirrel, and skunk? do they have rabies? do you know the sings of rabies? can you live off the land and know how to do the above then by all means head for them hills, and stock up on seeds, corn, wheat, beans, do you know how to grow them take care of them? see what your zone is and go from there, how far up in too the hills do you plan on going, are you ready for deep snow? do you have snow shoes? do you plan on running or make it the rest of life up there, build cabin tilling the soil raising game food/ cows deer chickens do you know how to milk that cow? clean a chicken, or skin a deer, elk or bear. First aid how to splint the broken leg /arm treat a gun shot wound, snake bite.

First. The idea of running for the hills and living off the land is absurd.
Second. If some SHTF scenario happened you will notice that most of the self proclaimed survivalists would all run for the wildernes and they all have the same "OMG everyone is going to kill me" mentality. So they would run for the hills and kill each other. Scavenging in the wilderness would not be a long term solution, with the ammount of people that would be doing this animals would be over hunted making hunting nearly impossible. So you would have to grow your own food which you did touch on. But if you were going to grow your own food it would be much easier to do so at home in your backyard. Tools would around and you could always take some from the guys that abandoned their homes and left their hoe, fertilizer and other gardening tools in their garage.
So while the survivalists are all shooting each other living in huts and off of things they packed in their rediculous bug out bags im at home using their stuff.
edit on 7-1-2011 by Kayzar because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Finally someone with some common sense!
I had this same conversation with a friend that said he would head for the hills.

Personally, I think places like the coast would be better since sea life seems to be alot more
abundant. If inland, near a large river or lake.

I think a bug out bag is great to have, but mostly for getting back home... not long term.

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 02:46 PM
link   
reply to post by SnakeShot

Well if a tsunami hits, your #@*?ed! I don't think the coast is a smart idea.

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 02:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Kayzar

ok so you think you can grow food you live in NY NY, all cement and pavement were is the soil, central park right? now you have the packs to look out for rape gangs thugs, and coyote, yes look that up, yes i am pointing out all the flaws and misconceptions stay home dig not in the city not if you really want to survive the city is the worst place to be, i am not saying sell you home condo or move from the city for this might not happen in our life time, if it does be prepared, do not get caught with your pants down! Think things out, most of use have been camping up in the woods hills but some have not seen out side of a city all there life, ok skiing trips and a boat ride out on the lake do not count. I mean out door under the stairs, no 5thwheel or RV i mean park you vech and hike in or hike all the way in form your down town home to the camp site 50 miles one way. i doubt i could do that my self to day, but i would try if i had too, what i am getting at is know your spot like the back of your hand less to figure out when you get ther the better off you will be. m y self yes i have 3 pick spots one is were i am at know 2 are bug out place, food water shelter nice bit of land for farming, and with in 3 days walk with BOB.

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by youthsavior
reply to post by SnakeShot

Well if a tsunami hits, your #@*?ed! I don't think the coast is a smart idea.

Flawed logic... You could say that with anything.
What if there are wildfires? Then you would be screwed in the hills
What if there are devastating rains? Then the hills have mudslides and you die
What if an A-bomb drops right where you are standing? Then you are dead

The whole survivalist idea is based around the fact that you survived whatever event there was.

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by bekod

Running for the hills is only gonna be beneficial if you have a plan, supplies, transportation and are ready. Personally, I'd probably ride an atv or dirtbike somewhere, with a short supply of food and supplies and ride around and back into towns and cities to get whatever else i need. I think it's best to use them as a hideout and shelter and not to count on them and nature. Also, cities aren't necessarily the worst place either. There are massive amounts of supplies, food, clothes, etc. however they'd be more prone to chaos, death, destruction, quarantine, etc. Don't bash people for running to the hills because you'll probably end up there!

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 02:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Kayzar

Very true indeed! I'm not gonna argue that one! But really when it comes down to it, if something goes down, i'd feel safer in the hills.

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 02:57 PM
link   

reply to post by Kayzar

ok so you think you can grow food you live in NY NY, all cement and pavement were is the soil, central park right? now you have the packs to look out for rape gangs thugs, and coyote, yes look that up, yes i am pointing out all the flaws and misconceptions stay home dig not in the city not if you really want to survive the city is the worst place to be, i am not saying sell you home condo or move from the city for this might not happen in our life time, if it does be prepared, do not get caught with your pants down! Think things out, most of use have been camping up in the woods hills but some have not seen out side of a city all there life, ok skiing trips and a boat ride out on the lake do not count. I mean out door under the stairs, no 5thwheel or RV i mean park you vech and hike in or hike all the way in form your down town home to the camp site 50 miles one way. i doubt i could do that my self to day, but i would try if i had too, what i am getting at is know your spot like the back of your hand less to figure out when you get ther the better off you will be. m y self yes i have 3 pick spots one is were i am at know 2 are bug out place, food water shelter nice bit of land for farming, and with in 3 days walk with BOB.

The city is not the worst place to be i alread covered that, all the people that are convinced that people will just run around killing eachother will all be doing what you are doing. So people like you will get killed by people like you.
You can grow food in NYC but in NYC you are pretty much screwed.what would devestate the united states but leave NYC not in rubble?
edit on 7-1-2011 by Kayzar because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 02:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Kayzar

this too is the roll of the dice does it does it not, will I will I not, one has to have hope courage, and the will to survive.

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Kayzar

I do not want to kill any one!!!! got that, but i will defend my self one does not have to kill you know just disarm, but yes there are that will kill.That is why in the city it is not a good idea to stay do you know who your neighbors are who there friends are, do they have over night visitors, do you know there names? would you what there back or they yours, would you put your life in there hands, i live in small community were we all know each other, some i trust, some i know and yes we look after each other, some i say hi too and leave it at that, and as such we all have a plan, we will defend what is ours, but out side is welcome to come, as long as they are willing to do there share, cut wood cook/ hunt/ gather/ teach there skills or learn and are not violent and are civilized.

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by youthsavior

lol... I think I would take a chance if it came to surviving day to day.

Where to go will all depend on where a person is at... obviously no single answer. If in a big city, anywhere else will probably be better.

btw... I HIGHLY recommend a book called- Patriots: Surviving the Coming Collapse.

edit on 7-1-2011 by SnakeShot because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 04:21 PM
link   
I feel bad for city dwellers.
There will be so much chaos.
People don't understand what will really take place.
You guys need to realize that it will be worse than you think.
Did any of you experience the LA riots?
I bet not a single one of you did.

I did. For 6 hours.
I was just a kid.
It's a dog-eat-dog world.
That wasn't even remotely close to a SHTF moment.
That was over police brutality.

But, it's okay...
Just keep thinking that everything will be fine.
That's exactly what some of the store owners did back then.
The ones that boarded their businesses up are the ones that are still there.

See, I'm not running to the hills.
I live in the hills.

On purpose.
I had a choice to live in the city.
For the most part, I just don't like the constant rush of things.

I am in no hurry and I like it that way.

It's easier to make fun of people who prepare than it is to realize you missed the train.

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 05:10 PM
link   
reply to post by havok

Did any of you experience the LA riots?
I bet not a single one of you did.

Horrible bet. LA is one of the most populated cities in the world. ATS is one of the most popular conspiracy sites. Chances are there are MANY people here that lived through the LA riots, you are not special.

I did. For 6 hours.
I was just a kid.
It's a dog-eat-dog world.

Give yourself a cookie you lasted 6 hours in a riot that lasted 6 days. Property dammage was crazy but only 53 people died.

But, it's okay...
Just keep thinking that everything will be fine.
That's exactly what some of the store owners did back then.
The ones that boarded their businesses up are the ones that are still there.

It will be okay, for the most part those riots were in minority neighborhoods. So statistically as long as you don't live in a minority area then you should be fine.

I had a choice to live in the city.
For the most part, I just don't like the constant rush of things.

I am in no hurry and I like it that way.

It's easier to make fun of people who prepare than it is to realize you missed the train.

Nobody is making fun of anyone and "the hills" is not any safer than anywhere else especially in california. When is the last time you heard of a fire demolishing 1000 acres of a city? The term "run for the hills" is so clichet that many many people will do it. Fires will start and without fire departments you will just have to wait it out.

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 06:43 PM
link   

To quote Heinlein:

“A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.”

I've yet to die gallantly though.

If some event happens, there are more than a few of us not trapped in cities, and who are prepared for a number of things.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 10:35 PM
link   
Wrong thread.
edit on 21-1-2011 by Gainsayer because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 10:47 PM
link   
I get where you're saying but also disagree to an extent. Yes it's great to learn about the wild before heading on into it but humans deserve much more credit. When one who's run to the hills to get away from stress etc. they already have the ideal of the sort of drive it takes to act upon intuition and NOT over think any of it. Life is becoming more and more stressing with these damn laws to imprison people in their own self. The first 40 days are the roughest as the ego is alive, and raging. It's also about how long it takes to get back in tune with nature. Humans are right now, a virus to Mother Earth (most) because all we do is take take take. Going back into the wild you have to give give and give for 40 days before you can get back in tune with it, the use it how the animals use it. Before you get in tune, you can't use mud to heal wounds. After you get in tune, you can. The first 40 days, you keep moving, hunt fish, small game, and deer WHEN need be to eat, filter water at every stream you get to to keep hydrated and dig up beside a tree to sleep, making the fire close by. When people are put to stress, they can achieve so much. Nature is not to be feared. If it's your time, it's your time. When # starts flying, you're not going to ask yourself 'how do I build this trap or shelter?' you just do it instinctively. People over think and that's what gets them killed.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 11:40 PM
link   
Hillbillies already there may take exception to intruders.

Lots of folks going to be surprised if the SHTF. And little of it good.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join