It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Normal Today, Cancer Tomorrow: How Cancer Can Develop Overnight

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Normal Today, Cancer Tomorrow: How Cancer Can Develop Overnight

www.the-scientist.com

Without warning cancer can arise from a single catastrophic chromosomal event involving tens to hundreds of breaks in the DNA that are haphazardly pieced back together, researchers reported in the January 7th issue of Cell.

"This paper explains how cancer can form in a relatively short period of time."
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Most cancers develop slowly, after mutations accumulate over time. But about 2-3% come out of nowhere, "as a single, cataclysmic affair." Given how common cancer is, that 2-3% translates into a big number.

"In most cancers, a handful of mutations are accumulated over time, gradually evolving into a more aggressive form," said Peter Campbell, blood oncologist at the Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute and lead author of the study. But in some situations, he adds, cancer can come out of nowhere, leaving its victim little time for treatment.

…the group argues it's highly unlikely that catastrophic rearrangements occur as separate, sequential events, the traditional view of how cancer forms, but rather as a single, cataclysmic affair. While the phenomenon seems to occur in only a small percentage of all cancers - just two to three percent - the researchers argue it's actually a substantial amount of cases, given the prevalence of cancer. Furthermore, they estimate that chromosomal breakdowns may account for up to 25 percent of bone cancers.

The researchers recommend looking at radiation as the cause of this "cataclysmic" chromosomal damage.

Other scientists point out that many things in the modern world can wreak havoc on our DNA, and could be responsible: from chemical exposures to burns, electrical currents and infections.

Some suggest that only people who are "genetically susceptible" end up with cancer. Others point out that the level and frequency of exposure are all critical, as well as the "burden" on the immune system at the time of the "cataclysmic chromosomal event."

...I'm just glad to see the cancer research focus shifting back to looking at the environment.

www.the-scientist.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 12:29 PM
link   
Rapid onset of any ailment is generally tied to exposure to a new environment or a change in the current, along with something being ingested.

The decided stupidity of our medical instiutions would be baffling if it were not for the profit gained from treating, rather than curing those ailments. Magic pills and endless treatments are far more lucrative than preventing onset.
edit on 2011/1/7 by sbctinfantry because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 01:13 PM
link   
reply to post by sbctinfantry

The decided stupidity of our medical instiutions would be baffling if it were not for the profit gained from treating, rather than curing those ailments. Magic pills and endless treatments are far more lucrative than preventing onset.

How absolutely true.

And everyone is programmed to look for the "Magic Bullet."

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 01:17 PM
link   
reply to post by soficrow

Just imagine what they can do with a mobile phone if they target you and they can use mobiles as weapons.

This most defintely is something they will do in future to people they hate. They will in effect be able to create any disease they want in you and destroy your life.

These people do not see themselves as murderers, just positive thinkers, lol.

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by soficrow
How absolutely true.

And everyone is programmed to look for the "Magic Bullet."

Case in point :

Flouride -

To inform the public about the real risks and inability to regulate dosage would cause the immediate cessation of all operations related to and profiting from its use. The manufacturer would be out of business, the brokers out of business, the servicemen out of a job, and the only person benfiting financially would be the taxpayer who foots the bill the entire way. The taxpayer also benefits by not being poisoned on a daily basis, again the only beneficiary. Big Pharma and Big Health lose on cancer, bone, and flourosis treaments.

Case is rested. Money brokers lose, common man wins. That is why we search endlessly for the treatment or figurative cure, as opposed to preventing the issue altogether.

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 01:31 PM
link   
reply to post by sbctinfantry

Money brokers lose, common man wins. That is why we search endlessly for the treatment or figurative cure, as opposed to preventing the issue altogether.

Ah yes, Prevention. Wotta concept.

But now that you mention it, what really grinds me is this new focus on genetics and lifestyle - and blaming the victims!

The money brokers pump us, our food and our world full of poisons, then tell us we are personally responsible for our health!?! That it's our lifestyle and personal choices, or else a genetic susceptibility that's making us sick!?!

What a load.

...All they've done is take the corporate legal defence strategy for fighting liability, and turned it into public health policy.

It's more than heinous.

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Basically what I got is that scientists are now starting to accept that evolution happens both gradually in baby steps and in huge changes in the blink of an eye. If radiation causes our dna bonds to break in a cascading effect, then I think all we have to do is traceback earth's most susceptible moments in history and chart that against the fluctuations in solar, galactic, and cosmic sources of radiation. I think we evolve relative to all the waves we come in contact with.

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by unityemissions
Basically what I got is that scientists are now starting to accept that evolution happens both gradually in baby steps and in huge changes in the blink of an eye. If radiation causes our dna bonds to break in a cascading effect, then I think all we have to do is traceback earth's most susceptible moments in history and chart that against the fluctuations in solar, galactic, and cosmic sources of radiation. I think we evolve relative to all the waves we come in contact with.

Incorrect. That type of mutation is not feasable. The general theory is that mutations happen on a largely individual basis, and are either bred in or out. The conclusion they are drawing, is that due to radiation and other DNA effecting compounds or viruses, some mutations can occur after you are born.

General mutation (evolution) is defined currently by the recession of the human jawbone. The reason we have our wisdom teeth removed is generally accepted to be because we do not require so many teeth and thus, a smaller jaw to hold them. Teeth have not caught quite up with jaws and thus requires surgery.

This new theory of mutation is held when a person is exposed to a DNA altering retrovirus, chemical compound or large doses of radiation. Cancer is the prime result of this mutation.

Both theories co-exist.

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Hey soficrow, Have not seen you in a while.. How are you.. Anyway I think this is something you maybe interested in.

It turns out there are cancer agents in the water supply, Who knew eh?
Cancer Water: 10 Cities Threatened by Chromium-6

I was thinking about cancer a while ago, and thinking if it was a big thing back in the day. 40's 50's so on.. I started talking to old people who lived in those eras, I was quite surprised the majority of older people who lived in these times can not remember many if at all any cases involving someone who had cancer. Someone told me well you know it was known people could get cancer back then, but i do know people have died from it in the 40's and up, but it wasn't a crazy big number like it is today.. I am curious to wonder why it is more higher that people die today of cancer than back then.

Anyway.. I think we are fed cancer agents our whole lives, I think some of us are just lucky to not get it.. I don't think smoking not smoking, exercise, getting fat, whatever is the blame, I just think it is a matter of luck is all.

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThichHeaded
I was thinking about cancer a while ago, and thinking if it was a big thing back in the day. 40's 50's so on.. I started talking to old people who lived in those eras, I was quite surprised the majority of older people who lived in these times can not remember many if at all any cases involving someone who had cancer. Someone told me well you know it was known people could get cancer back then, but i do know people have died from it in the 40's and up, but it wasn't a crazy big number like it is today.. I am curious to wonder why it is more higher that people die today of cancer than back then.

Anyway.. I think we are fed cancer agents our whole lives, I think some of us are just lucky to not get it.. I don't think smoking not smoking, exercise, getting fat, whatever is the blame, I just think it is a matter of luck is all.

You should also look into Harris County's water (my county) being radioactive over the allowable limits, and also having that information suppressed for decades by cooking books.

I also have spoken to my elders, the last of which died of cancer. She made the best Italian food, and couldn't recall anyone who was of adult age in her adolescence dying of cancer, and she had very clearly seen a sharp increase in persons being diagnosed with cancer over the years since.

I also agree that we are fed cancer agents, but I go farther and say we are injected with, breathe, bathe, drink, and touch them on a daily basis. Remember BPA? Drink and touch right there. The lists go on and on.

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 07:32 PM
link   
reply to post by ThichHeaded

There are so many "cancer-causing agents" in our food, water, air and environment that it's a losing battle just trying to update the list.

About 10 years ago when my Mom was dying of cancer I drove my moving truck up from Santa Fe, New Mexico. Took the scenic route, off the Interstates, and tried to make it a fun trip for my daughter. Talked to a lot of different people along the way. They all said the same thing,

"NObody ever used to get cancer. Now every second person has it."

The stats came out a few years ago, and yep, 1 of every 2 men will get cancer, and 1 of every 3 women.

Cancer is now considered a "chronic disease" - and along with diabetes, obesity and cardiovascular disease - it's pandemic: worldwide.

...Obviously, there's an infectious component, and equally obvious, contaminations in our food, water, air and everything else help to trigger it.

:end rant:

top topics

join