It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

They Warned Us ! Solar Superstorm 2012 = Disaster

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Sky and Telescope Magazine has given us fair warning.
Is anybody listening???

September 2, 1859 solar storms wreaked havoc on telegraph lines worldwide and produced
auroras nearly to the equator.
---------------------------------------------------
A 2012 solar storm direct hit = disaster.
I can see large numbers of Gulfstream business jets landing at Denver International Airport
around November 2012. Head for the underground bunkers! Buy Gold!
-----------------------------------------------------
A long power outage would disrupt transportation, communication, banking, medical care,
financial systems, government services and NO WATER because no power for the water
pump motors. The resulting loss of services for weeks, months or YEARS in even one
region of the country would have enormous national and international repercussions.
------------------------------------------------------
Our best option: Shut EVERYTHING off and go dark BEFORE the huge solar flare
hits Earth. After the storm passes and it will, then turn everything back on.

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 11:23 AM
link   
OMG - how many threads do you think are like this on ATS atm..... Seriously.

You cant claim ignorance, 2012 is all over this site. To be honest it's getting to the point of a joke on this site. You and all the other 2012ist's. I tell you what, go out and do some real research, find some evidence then come back and shock us.... till then i will ignore these threads.

I dont speak for all, i know but come on, try to be more productive with your time.

I am starting to think 2012 is ggonna come and go and all those people with jsut look to the next significant year to target.

We all remember 2000 ( Y2K ) right.... What happened? Nothing!

I remember before that, apparently in 1997 the world was supposed to flood after all the ice melted.... still waiting.

If anything we are gonna hit another iceage before the entire world's coastlines are flooded.

Focus on something real!

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 11:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Havick007

It's not MY research.
The 2 guys who wrote the article in Sky And Telescope Magazine have done all the work for us.
All you have to do is read.
---------------------------------------
It may also be a good idea to stop shooting the messenger.

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 11:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Eurisko2012

It may not help to turn things off.
During the 1859 solar storm that you mentioned, telegraph operators disconnected their batteries from the lines after the power surges began. They were still able to send messages without having the batteries connected. This is because the storm caused induced currents in the telegraph lines.

The same thing will happen if a solar superstorm occurs now. Currents will be induced in any conductors, although the longer the conductor is ( transmission lines, motor windings) the bigger the problem may be.

edit on 7-1-2011 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 11:30 AM
link   

I don't think the poster is trying to present a gloom and doom prediction, but yet useful astronomical information that may come in handy if true. Never attack someone just cause there trying to share information, whether it's true or not. I do agree with you about all the bad predictions on this site, but info is info and do what you want with it but I do know that attacking the messenger is not the way to make things better.

Interesting post

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Eurisko2012
Is anybody listening???

Yes. Everyone is listening.

I can see large numbers of Gulfstream business jets landing at Denver International Airport

What does buying gold have to do with a solar flare?
How is gold going to help you survive?

A long power outage would disrupt transportation, communication, banking, medical care,
financial systems, government services and NO WATER because no power for the water
pump motors. The resulting loss of services for weeks, months or YEARS in even one
region of the country would have enormous national and international repercussions.

As a survivalist, I feel the need to help people.
Not create panic.
But, this thread has panic written all over it.

Either way, it won't be until 2012, so in that year...
You can yell: "The Sky Is Falling! The Sky Is Falling!"
Then take all your gold and try to survive off it.

Sheesh.

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 11:36 AM
link   

Something else to consider - turning everything off will not save everything. Some things may survive that way, but my bet is electronics are done no matter what in that situation. Think of RFID tags. They're not powered. They use the pulse given to it from an external source to transmit a small bit of data back. Now think of your unpowered iPhone as a big RFID device. Now hit it with an extremely intense EM pulse. Chances are it's still fried. Most processors have a tolerance of MAYBE half a volt.

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by butcherguy

It may not help to turn things off.
During the 1859 solar storm that you mentioned, telegraph operators disconnected their batteries from the lines after the power surges began. They were still able to send messages without having the batteries connected. This is because the storm caused induced currents in the telegraph lines.

The same thing will happen if a solar superstorm occurs now. Currents will be induced in any conductors, although the longer the conductor is ( transmission lines, motor windings) the bigger the problem may be.

edit on 7-1-2011 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

You should drop by a Barnes and Noble and buy a February 2011 issue of Sky and Telescope.
The 2 guys who wrote the article cover everything. It's very well written. The high voltage
transformers are the big problem. I see everybody running to Home Depot for a small
gas generator but then having a hard time buying the gasoline to fill it up.

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 11:38 AM
link   

I 'm not sure of what the true threats are on solar storms or any of the hype on 2012,but the way I see it if it was such a big threat why aren't the companies making preparations for it to insure we are ready for the worst case scenario?Either they want us to be knocked back to the dark ages or the chances are really low.In any case I'm prepared as much as one can be,with food and water and other essentials.I just hope as the time comes nearer the truth of the matter will come out.

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 11:40 AM
link   

what will that do?

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by an0maly33

Something else to consider - turning everything off will not save everything. Some things may survive that way, but my bet is electronics are done no matter what in that situation. Think of RFID tags. They're not powered. They use the pulse given to it from an external source to transmit a small bit of data back. Now think of your unpowered iPhone as a big RFID device. Now hit it with an extremely intense EM pulse. Chances are it's still fried. Most processors have a tolerance of MAYBE half a volt.

I just want to save the high voltage transformers.
It would take years running around to replace them all.
The USA would tear itself apart by then.
Once the violence starts, it's hard to say when it would stop.

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Turning kit off is not enough, its needs protecting - properly!

Think some should have a read of this if they have a spare few minutes:

www.faradaycage.org...

Also did you know that a Microwave is an effective lower end Faraday cage (as long as its still plugged into the main - well here anyway as we have a ground on our circuits). If this is what we have coming (I don't know either way) then by taking a look at the 'Faraday' cages/box's etc. could give us a bit of a fighting chance of protecting our delicate electronic equipment. It doesn't take much to make a hardened cabinet, but could save us all a load of grief should and event happen in the future.

Just Sayin

edit on 7-1-2011 by StarTraveller because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Either way, people need to learn the ability to live WITHOUT electricity.
It's a skill that can save your life.
Period.

Oh but no. They are still too busy watching TV and reality shows.

The problem with the entire 2012 scenario will be panic.
Too many people procrastinating about preparedness and not enough 6 P's.
Prior
Planning
Prevents
Piss
Poor
Performance.

Sorry mods for the curse word but its part of the P's.

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by indigothefish

what will that do?

It would save the High Voltage Transformers. They discuss that very option in the article.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm not sure the rest of the world would follow our lead.

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Is anybody listening???

September 2, 1859 solar storms wreaked havoc on telegraph lines worldwide and produced
auroras nearly to the equator.
---------------------------------------------------

Do you know what the sad part about that is. In order to prepare our electrical infrastructure to withstand a direct hit, all we need to do is install ground resisters in between each transformer. Easy, Cost effective, and can be done in a short time. Why is this not being done ...... Politics ..... If this solar flare happens, and it looks like all the signs are their for increased solar activity, the governments are letting it happen. .I can promise you if that's the case, then this is my message to the higher ups, if they let this happen, and leave the rest of us to fight, beg, kill and grobble amongst ourselves, don't think your cushy underground bunkers are going to protect you from "we the people" .....
edit on 7-1-2011 by VI0811 because: oppsy

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 11:48 AM
link   
reply to post by havok

Well, i wouldn't go that far.
Truth be told we have the "technology and the means" to recover.
There is no need to join the Amish way of life.

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by TWILITE22

I 'm not sure of what the true threats are on solar storms or any of the hype on 2012,but the way I see it if it was such a big threat why aren't the companies making preparations for it to insure we are ready for the worst case scenario?Either they want us to be knocked back to the dark ages or the chances are really low.In any case I'm prepared as much as one can be,with food and water and other essentials.I just hope as the time comes nearer the truth of the matter will come out.

I think you would need food and water for at least 1 year.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stay away from major cities.
They would be the first to fall.

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 11:55 AM
link   

No it's not about 'joining the Amish'.

It's about knowing how to survive without electricity.
If we get a solar flare large enough to destroy our own magnetosphere...
Which is what they are talking about in 2012...
It will cause more destruction than a few hours without power.
Your talking a total collapse of our entire power grid.
Maybe even pole reversal which in turn would completely render AC voltage useless.

Either way, skill sets are more valuable than anything that uses electricity.
Or money.

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Look i know all your doing is passing on other research and posting news, that's fine and what this site is all about. But do you think we need another 2012 threat - thread.

Look i am last person to normally try and put down a thread, i really am, look at my post history k. I am the last person to put down other post's but lately the quality of thread and news has been less than fantastic.

To top it off 2012 threads have gone up over 10 fold and as per the subject matter i am sure they will keep growing but as i said. There are much more things you could put your time into.

Even now as i write this reply i am wasting 5 minutes of my time so this will be my last reply.

Look, just serach 2012 in ATS search, this as per many other will be buried in a sea of 2012 threads and when 2012 comes and goes with nothing but a new years party in 2013 then all this will be wasted and productivity.

But hey if the world does end i will be thinking of you and your contribution and give you a post internet shout-out

edit on 7-1-2011 by Havick007 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 12:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Havick007

The article in Sky and Telescope just came out now.
The article is about 5-6 pages and they both cover what we can do to not only survive but
lead the way.
------------------------------------
Unfortunately, i can see some governments looking at this "event" as an opportunity to
basically reboot the Earth.
Walking into their underground bunkers with the "limited resources" excuse.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join