It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Congress Approves Concealed Weapons Bill

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2004 @ 12:43 PM
link   
July 8, 2004

WASHINGTON - Off-duty and retired police officers would have the right to carry concealed weapons in any state under legislation the Senate approved by voice vote Wednesday and sent to the president.

john

thomas.loc.gov...

story.news.yahoo.com.../ap/20040708/ap_on_go_co/concealed_weapons&e=4

posted on Jul, 8 2004 @ 12:59 PM
link   
This is a step in the right direction towards returning our rights back to us. I'd like to eventually see this extended to citizens who take gun safety/training classes as well. I am all for a background/fingerprint check for a CCW permit.

Gun control doesn't stop crime, it only increases the value of the black market for weapons.

posted on Jul, 8 2004 @ 01:11 PM
link   
A national CCW program would be kind of nice, and probably would be a little bit easier to administrate since it wouldnt have different requirements and parameters from one state to the next. Also has another interesting benefit that I've heard of in my home state of virginia at least; as long as you have a valid CCW you arent requird to go through the normal waiting period for some guns, though I have yet to confirm this yet with any legal people.

posted on Jul, 8 2004 @ 01:13 PM
link   
alternateheaven, what you heard sounds right. florida is also the same way -- no three day period if you have a ccw. still have the background phone call for each purchase but no cooling off period.

should have stayed in florida. ny is very strict but i'm lucky that my extended in-law family has connections in two counties.

posted on Jul, 8 2004 @ 01:21 PM
link   
Huh!?!?! I would have thought that was already the way it was. Maybe not for Retired but certainly for off duty cops. I mean those guys don't go anywhere without their 'Trusty Side Arm' do they??? I was under the impression that they did everything but swim and bath with their piece at their side. I have no doubt that all of them shag with that belt on at least part of the time!!!

I think this is good. Also, as someone else said, hopefully this will trickle down into the civilian populous more too for those with training. I mean we can't just have all the Criminal Slags of Society out there armed while the rest of us are all helpless for God sakes!! Either we are allowed to shoot back or we have to institute a full out Police State. I am not for the Police State so I say get your training in and take the steps needed if you must!!

posted on Jul, 8 2004 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by mOjOm
I think this is good. Also, as someone else said, hopefully this will trickle down into the civilian populous more too for those with training.

What good is training? Everyone invloved in a DUI homicide had "training" on how to drive. Handgun training is what...how to not miss? Oh I feel much safer now.

Especially knowing retired cops are packing. Since they're always such good level headed guys.
Sorry, but I've known some of these country cops, and had a particularly violent alcoholic cop step dad. I mean I look around at people I know, and just see how they act without a gun. Getting in fights over looks, punching walls when they get angry...the road rage alone makes me want to NEVER let these people near a gun. People have tried to run me off the road before for no reason. I've seen guns flashed on the road several times. SO WHY IN THE HELL WOULD I WANT THEM TO HAVE A LEGALLY CONCEALED HANDGUN? So I can get a gun too to protect myself from them? What a crock.

I've had a legally owned firearm pointed at my head by a friend before. He was drunk, but let me tell you...the fact he had training and owned it legally didn't make me feel any better about it. We obviously talked him down, but what would have happened if I had a gun on me too? Someone wouldn't be here. That's for sure.

You know rifles are great. Everyone I know has three or so. And I'm well aware handguns are here to stay, and know people that keep them under their bed (and/or car seat illegally). But why we need to walk around with them on us like the Wild Wild West is beyond me.

The NRA is just wrong there. Assuming that's the point of this legislation...to move us closer to total 24/7 armament.

posted on Jul, 8 2004 @ 08:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by RANT
What good is training? Everyone involved in a DUI homicide had "training" on how to drive. Handgun training is what...how to not miss? Oh I feel much safer now.

No, I'm talking about training beyond just target practice. Along the same lines as how most people Trained in Fighting or Hand To Hand Combat learn when, why, and how to use it and better yet ways of not having to do so responsibly. Sure some are A-Holes who sometimes do, but most don't.

Also, the DUI homicide folk would have been more dangerous had they been drunk and not had the drivers training in combination. Their problem was not having 'Drunk Idiot Training' that would hopefully kick in and make them walk their sloppy ass home.

Especially knowing retired cops are packing. Since they're always such good level headed guys.
Sorry, but I've known some of these country cops, and had a particularly violent alcoholic cop step dad. I mean I look around at people I know, and just see how they act without a gun. Getting in fights over looks, punching walls when they get angry...the road rage alone makes me want to NEVER let these people near a gun. People have tried to run me off the road before for no reason. I've seen guns flashed on the road several times. SO WHY IN THE HELL WOULD I WANT THEM TO HAVE A LEGALLY CONCEALED HANDGUN? So I can get a gun too to protect myself from them? What a crock.

Well, once again I understand what you're saying. However, some drunken jerk off who can't control himself, Cop or not shouldn't have a weapon. I would hope that such things would be included in the policy making rules, but who knows. Maybe I shouldn't assume others have that kind of intelligence.

You do however bring up a good example though that can work both ways. Maybe people who have something to prove and choose to do so by flashing their piece around would think twice about doing so if they weren't the only ones around able to whip out such Power Toys. I mean it's not as if getting a gun is all that difficult if you're some jag-off loser who does want to use it as a substitute for intelligence, courage, etc. Hell, I can get you a gun with a couple of phone calls and I live in a small town in Central Cali. So perhaps since I already know that every 13 y/o moron can get one at school of whatever. I just might feel ok if when he pulled it out acting tough, 12 other civilized, intelligent and certified civilians could instantly put him in check. If he also knows that them he might leave his bang bang at home or just stuck down the front of his pants.

I've had a legally owned firearm pointed at my head by a friend before. He was drunk, but let me tell you...the fact he had training and owned it legally didn't make me feel any better about it. We obviously talked him down, but what would have happened if I had a gun on me too? Someone wouldn't be here. That's for sure.

I get ya. People like that. Once again, ex, retired or what ever cop or not, shouldn't have access to weapons based simply on them being F*CKED IN THE HEAD. I was assuming that such things would be takin into consideration already. Obviously a bad assumption on my part.

You know rifles are great. Everyone I know has three or so. And I'm well aware handguns are here to stay, and know people that keep them under their bed (and/or car seat illegally). But why we need to walk around with them on us like the Wild Wild West is beyond me.

The NRA is just wrong there. Assuming that's the point of this legislation...to move us closer to total 24/7 armament.

I do agree with you there. Handguns serve no purpose but to kill people. I see what you're saying. I'm also not saying it should be Wild Wild West either. Having my Uncle who is a Retired Marshal or My Friend who is Ex Military Sniper (who does have a permit BTW) I actually have no worry whatsoever of their ability to contain themselves. Should it ever arrive however that they needed to, I'd might be glad that the Idiot flashing his Gat at my all gansta style & sh*t wasn't the only one with such capabilities at hand.

I've had the occasional Road Rage Loser flash his gun at me too. Even when they are the ones causing all the trouble no less. That is not someone who I'm talking about that should be allowed a weapon either. (Even though they are the ones who have them) I wasn't even allowed to point a rubber band gun at someone when I was a kid cause my Dad let me know real quick it's not a game EVER, so don't even make like it is when you're joking. It created a habit of never even joking about such a thing. Personally, someone who points a gun like that as a joke is not suited to carry a pocket knife let alone a gun. The difference is that someone who understands the responsibility the way I'm thinking of it, only points or pulls a gun unless they are planning to use it. Doing so though also means that you have a Great Respect for such things. The words 'A healthy Fear of God(Gun)' comes to mind if that makes sense.

new topics

top topics

join