It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Illinois pols want to raise state taxes by 75%.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 10:42 AM
link   

SPRINGFIELD (AP) — Top Illinois Democrats have agreed to push a plan that would temporarily boost income taxes by 75 percent and double cigarette taxes, Senate President John Cullerton said Thursday.

Illinois’ personal income tax rate, now 3 percent, would climb to 5.25 percent for four years under the plan Cullerton outlined. After that, it would drop to 3.75 percent.

That means someone who now owes $1,000 in state income taxes would owe $1,750 at the new rate, then $1,250 after four years.

I don't know about anyone else, but it appears that Illinois is leading the way to something that won't be good for anyone. What state is going to follow next? Is there any end to the increases? When is enough, enough?

The full story is here
chicago.cbslocal.com...

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 10:45 AM
link   
The logic escapes me. They are in debt. So, instead of not spending so much, they make people give them more money.

Where is Robin Hood when you need him!?

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 11:19 AM
link   
I'm in Illinois...and I really don't hear many people whining about this other than ME!

I live in a town of about 20K people. There is NOTHING here..no real jobs other than service jobs..the coal mines have all but dried up..there is hardly any manufacturing..

I don't know what people are thinking? I don't know how much is enough to push them out from in front of the tv??
I think people have grown tired and lazy. People are just in denial that anything will have a direct effect on them.

We are trying to move...it's just so hard right now. Our house isn't selling so we have to wait.................................

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 11:25 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Isn't Illinois ridden with unemployment and poverty? then how taxing the reminding working force is going to help at all.

Let no forget that the implementation of Obama care is going to call for tax increases in every state as states are to face billions of dollars of cost just to get the program started, along with most unemployed and poor been able to file for Medicaid that is pay by the states.

I see trouble heading Illinois way, here in Ga the state is going to repeal Obama care due to budget deficits.

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Reply to post by marg6043

It's not going to help.

The thieves are making sure they pillage every last cent they can before the either leave willingly or get run out by an angry mob.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 11:33 AM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

Well the last thing I heard about Illinois was the angry mobs in the streets and the unemployed fighting for miserable jobs, like one job for over a thousand applicants.

But then again, the economy is doing "Great" and everything is peachy in Wall-street.

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 11:42 AM
link   
It's so simple it hurts.

Local guys. Homeless would be best. Surrounded by friends as to prevent zionists and lobbyists from getting in.

One term.

Sounds harsh, but basically they'll be under shotgun, a ring of shotguns. If things go well, the shotguns will be turned outward. If not so well, turn them inward.

Then they start the simple process of changing the 'laws' back such that a homeless person can homestead.

This will destroy corporate techno-fascism. This will allow the simple man to exist.

It means throwing away all the progressive crap that began since circa 1913. It means allowing freedom, growing your own food, doing what the F you want on your land, and not paying through your orifice to thieves and the new police state. It means being allowed to look out for yourself with no bloodletting. It means clean water, and woe for those who fracked it up.

It would be a simple matter of reading the Constitution, but not through a zionist lens.

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Thanks all, for your replies.

I'm not from Illinois, my wife is. And we definitely don't want to live there. People that we do know, are moving out in droves.
In the article, cigarettes are going up, when they are the most expensive in the whole country. That will just push people to buy elsewhere and look for work elsewhere. But it is an Obama state with a strong UAW footprint.

As california has been a great experiment for liberals, Illinois will be for the new Obama regime.

I feel for those who reside there.

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 11:53 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

So if they were actually going to use the money to help the state get out of debt, then I might agree with it, but what will end up happening is that the government officials will give themselves a raise spend even more than they are taking in, and get the state into a deeper debt, I have seen this before.

Oh and in 3 and a half years people will be so used to paying it that when they vote to make it permanent the sheeple wont even notice.

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 11:58 AM
link   
I sent a letter to governor quinn today. you guys should too.

link   
reply to post by thewholepicture

Actually in order to start the implementation of Obama care they need an initial budget just for that, to do this in many states that are strap for money and have huge deficits they either repeal the health care bill or increase taxes.

Like I say already in other threads the economy is going to be linked more than people think on the Obama care here in GA is going to cost 1 billion dollars to get started and this coming from the state along.

Open you eyes and see what is behind the tax hike.

link   

That's what drives me nuts. They won't alter state spending, they will just think of another way to justify it.

Once taxes increase, it takes more than a weak promise to get them down again.

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 12:00 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

Personally? I think Illinois will be one of the first states to receive a "bail-out" from the government, just in terms of using federal dollars to purchase state funds.

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 12:01 PM
link   
We got transfered to Il a few yrs ago.. we HATE it. The economy is terrible and the welfare is plentiful.. just a deplorable state. This 75% increase is no news.. its been inthe works since early last year.. and no one here seems to care! I guess its fine if youre on welfare.. its not going to effect you here. Im sick of this place. My property value is so bad within the last 3 yrs that we CANT move and get transfered.

Il is a craphole.. a criminal democratic cesspool.

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 12:02 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Can anything good come from Illinois?

Here's the thing about taxing tobacco...they now have the 'technology', read 'data collection', to find out that you went elsewhere for your pleasure, and will punish you. These morons, these greed infected dolts, have the nerve to sniff through your out of state (not simply 'online') purchases, retroactive to 2004, and do intend to tax them. There simply is no bottom to their fascist intent.

Let these ones be the first to be run out on a rail.
edit on 7-1-2011 by starless and bible black because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043

Actually in order to start the implementation of Obama care they need an initial budget just for that, to do this in many states that are strap for money and have huge deficits they either repeal the health care bill or increase taxes.

Like I say already in other threads the economy is going to be linked more than people think on the Obama care here in GA is going to cost 1 billion dollars to get started and this coming from the state along.

Open you eyes and see what is behind the tax hike.

So in other words, I was right in saying they are just going to spend more instead of paying off a state debt.

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 12:04 PM
link   
I live in Illinois.

We need a large Federal Corruption Task Force to climb up the butts of every politician with a finger on the purse strings.

Researchers at the University of Illinois-Chicago tallied the price of corruption to state taxpayers: at least $500 million a year. Based on prosecution costs and estimates that 5 percent of state contracts go to the politically connected, that equals $109 per family. The total is enough to pay the average salary for 8,214 public school teachers.

www.bloomberg.com...

The painful irony is that it is the same corrupt pols that are choosing to stick it to honest taxpayers rather than cease stealing.
edit on 7-1-2011 by maybereal11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 12:05 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

The federal governemnt has been bailing out the state with unemployment extentions for the last two years in record numbers is just that the public doesn't pay attention to this, the federal governemtn also gave 1million dollars to those states that were a littler bit ansy to vote for the health care reform because deficit problems, but when you see how much it will cost to implement Obama care inicially it seems many states are going to take it out on the tax payer at state level, because the promise they did and how they sold their souls for a vote and 1 million dollars in briberies.

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 12:06 PM
link   
The state with higher taxes will continue to see population decreases and the states with lower taxes will continue to grow. I feel bad for those who are not able to relocate

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 12:09 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

Illinois's issues are not HCR. That is a real reach. The budget crisis was there before the economic downturn, HCR etc. and it was worsened by the financial crisis. Just the facts of it. Going on about HCR doesn't make sense in this context.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join