It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Pledge of Allegiance BANNED!

page: 1
13
<<   2  3  4 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 10:27 AM
link   
www.fox8.com...

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I know this isn't quite "new" news, but it's new to me. The Pledge of Allegiance is banned in public schools?
Apparently it's been going on for a number of years...
One person on a blog site i was reading, said her school 30 years ago didn't do it either.
I know when I was in school we said it EVERY morning. We also sang the "Star Spangled Banner"

This is unbelievable, If I had kids, I would really want my kids to say it, and I would make a big deal about it to the school too if not.

Is there a conspiracy to diminish American Pride?
Or..Do some people SERIOUSLY get offended by the word "God"?

Either way its just wrong, because America was founded under God. Are they going to take it off the dollar bill next? Remove everything public that pertains to God?

I feel a major problem in the U.S. is just that, Lack of American pride, and Not believing in a power greater then ourselves. Taking some pride in America would probably resolve a lot of issues currently happening. If people are offended by it, then don't participate. but it should Not be banned.

(It's up to the individual district and city, if they choose to say the Pledge of Allegiance)
edit on 7-1-2011 by Mastermook because: (no reason given)




posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 10:34 AM
link   
I think banning it may be a bit harsh, but I know in some places it is enforced- that is totally wrong. There was a discussion about children being forced to recite this not long ago. This isn't about pride, how could children being made to recite something be an indicator of pride, when they don't know the greater meaning or inplications behind what they are saying? Surely pride is about making a well informed conclusion that what you believe in is right and just, not being told what to think and say from an early age, so that it becomes instilled in your persona. That's called brainwashing- children should be taught to think critically and independantly, not have their beliefs dictated to them.
edit on 7-1-2011 by ScepticalBeliever because: (no reason given)


+6 more 
posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 10:40 AM
link   
They could of course just roll back the pledge to remove the "under god" thing, then voila...fixed.


The Pledge of Allegiance of the United States is an oath of loyalty to the national flag and the republic of the United States of America, originally composed by Francis Bellamy in 1892. The Pledge has been modified four times since then, with the most recent change adding the words "under God" in 1954. Congressional sessions open with the swearing of the Pledge, as do government meetings at local levels, meetings held by the Knights of Columbus, Royal Rangers, Boy Scouts of America, Girl Scouts of the USA, Fraternal Order of Eagles, Freemasons, Toastmasters International and their concordant bodies, other organizations, and many sporting events.


I think we should roll back to the 1942 version


"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

If it worked for the greatest generation, then it works for me.

Else, they should add another bit in if its all about progress to allow for paganism, atheism and agnosticism. Also maybe to describe a more realistic view of America

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the corporate republic for which it stands, one nation (with asterisk next to Texas), under God, or several gods, or perhaps just some really advanced alien races that came here long ago, or just evolution because we have alot of evidence for that which counters biblical understandings which at the current moment is the main theme for the Gods which we subscribe to in todays society, not that there is consensus as to which gods this is, but lets not split hairs, indivisible, With liberty, or conservatism, depending on which is in power at the time, and justice, unless they are labelled a terrorist, sex offender, drug dealer, drunk driver, or mexican, for alot."

That should sum it up...



posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 10:40 AM
link   
I'm not against the pledge of allegiance per se. But I do believe we should remove God from it. And we should remove it from the dollar bill as well. There is a difference between removing it from everything public and making it a mandatory part of patriotism. It's possible to be a patriotic american without worshiping God. I do it.



posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 10:41 AM
link   
reply to post by ScepticalBeliever
 


I don't know about how far they are enforcing "saying" it, but I do know, when I was in school we had to stand in respect for the flag and for our country, not necessarily say anything. Let's not take what we have and where we live for granted. It most definitely is about Pride and Respect. If kids don't learn that early, then who gives a darn about the country, and it can burn for all anyone cares. It's just the beginning of a greater picture.



posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 10:46 AM
link   
I am unsure as to why kids should be pledging allegience to ANYTHING. This should be an adult thing. Kids are not generally aware enough about what the words they are saying mean. Most of them do not truely understand what it means to pledge ones allegience to something.



posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 10:46 AM
link   
Red Skelton called it many years ago.




posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 10:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Mastermook
 


America, the republic, and all that the flag stands for has been lost to corporatocracy and psuedo-fascism. Training children to mindlessly recite something without showing them the disconnect between the original intent of a bunch of words strung together by a christian socialist, and baptist minister(look it up), and what America has since become is irresponsible.

Besides, pledges and oaths in a "free" country, seems contradictory to me.
edit on 1/7/2011 by eNumbra because: (no reason given)



posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 10:50 AM
link   
when i was in school if you didnt want to recite it then you just stayed your ass in your seat.

even the ashiest kids still stood up and said it, they just skipped the "under God" part.

this wasnt even a decade ago.



posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 10:58 AM
link   
reply to post by OldCorp
 


What happens when the arabic word for God becomes more popular...lets just change it again to say Allah instead of God


That should burn you conservatives up a bit...

Day Tuk err God!
=rabble rabble rabble=

To me, they might as well add "tooth fairy" or "santa". makes just as much sense.



posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 10:58 AM
link   
reply to post by eNumbra
 


enjoying freedom granted by that society, whilest at the same time rejecting said freedom/society, is just as (if not more so) contradictory.



posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Since I am an Ethical Planetarian, such things that retain national identity are more a hindrance than a benefit, for having such nationalistic behavior institutionalized enables a divide to affect conquer situation.

I would not forbid it, but I would not encourage it either.



posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by eNumbra
reply to post by Mastermook
 


America, the republic, and all that the flag stands for has been lost to corporatocracy and psuedo-fascism. Training children to mindlessly recite something without showing them the disconnect between the original intent of a bunch of words strung together by a christian socialist, and baptist minister(look it up), and what America has since become is irresponsible.

Besides, pledges and oaths in a "free" country, seems contradictory to me.
edit on 1/7/2011 by eNumbra because: (no reason given)



Right, so we should not accept what this country was supposed to be about, because the word "God" offends a minority of people. God has been a part of America since it's creation. Secondly, other measures can be taken, other then Banning the pledge of allegiance to your country.
Like I said in the post, if people took more pride in country, maybe, just maybe, things wouldn't be as bad as they are in a "cooperate fascist" America.
It's funny how peoples egos can be so big that, they believe in themselves before anything else, including their country, and their "creator". Because none of us didn't just magically appear out of thin air. One way or another, we were created.



posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 11:03 AM
link   
reply to post by RelentlessLurker
 


I'm rejecting freedom by refusing to participate in an oath of loyalty, that soft brainwashes children?

Right. Let me just go put on my brown shirt and knee high boots.


Originally posted by Mastermook
Right, so we should not accept what this country was supposed to be about, because the word "God" offends a minority of people. God has been a part of America since it's creation. Secondly, other measures can be taken, other then Banning the pledge of allegiance to your country.
Like I said in the post, if people took more pride in country, maybe, just maybe, things wouldn't be as bad as they are in a "cooperate fascist" America.
It's funny how peoples egos can be so big that, they believe in themselves before anything else, including their country, and their "creator". Because none of us didn't just magically appear out of thin air. One way or another, we were created.


We don't do the pledge as adults. Children do it; children lack the critical thinking ability that adults have.

That's the problem.
edit on 1/7/2011 by eNumbra because: (no reason given)



posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 11:07 AM
link   
I don't see the problem with banning the pledge. Who cares? I certainly don't. I don't have pride in this country because it doesn't matter to me. It doesn't benefit me at all to express pride in this country because I lied to myself every time I was commanded to participate. If people can't realize that asserting the biblical god in their pledge is a bare assertion fallacy due to the lack of evidence for his existence, then banning the entire pledge will fix the problem. Knowledge is more important than beliefs.



posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 11:10 AM
link   
reply to post by eNumbra
 


correct. if it had been for any other reason(like the God thing) you might have a case.

its not all that much different from people who use the first amendment,only to trash the first amendment.

im not saying you dont have that option, im just calling it what it is.

contradictory.



posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 11:11 AM
link   
Good. I never said it when I was in school, I would just stand (because you had to). I dont pledge allegiance to this country, in fact I plan on giving up my citizenship here when I am able to afford to gain citizenship to my country of choice (the cayman islands), so why would I pledge my allegiance? We were all born on earth, now reason to pledge your allegiance to a country just because your born there.
edit on 7-1-2011 by CREAM because: (no reason given)



posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 11:12 AM
link   
no wonder i'm all screwed up!

that god dam pledge of allegiance, i knew it!

which is funny coz i can say GD as freedom of speech but in the pledge god is a no no.


twisted much?



posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by rogerstigers
I am unsure as to why kids should be pledging allegience to ANYTHING. This should be an adult thing. Kids are not generally aware enough about what the words they are saying mean. Most of them do not truely understand what it means to pledge ones allegience to something.


Neither do I.

Personally - - I'd rather they pledge to Humanity and Protection of this planet.



posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by CREAM
Good. I never said it when I was in school, I would just stand (because you had to). I dont pledge allegiance to this country, in fact I plan on giving up my citizenship here when I am able to afford to gain citizenship to my country of choice (the cayman islands), so why would I pledge my allegiance? We were all born on earth, now reason to pledge your allegiance to a country just because your born there.
edit on 7-1-2011 by CREAM because: (no reason given)
I'd like to move to Australia or maybe somewhere in Europe. Any country that has less religious people is good enough for me.




top topics



 
13
<<   2  3  4 >>

log in

join