It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Australia Joins Controversial US Missile Plan

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2004 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Australia and the United States have signed a pact to develop a controversial missile defense shield. President Bush made the project a priority after the terrorist attacks in New York and Washington in 2001. But critics have questioned its cost, viability, and Australia's need for such a system

john

www.voanews.com...

posted on Jul, 8 2004 @ 01:09 PM
link   
I think somebody should tell Mr Bush that the cold war is over

There is no need to have missile shield against nuclear missles, who's going to fire them at us Russia? no way, they are now our friends and allies
China, they don't have the offensive capability to invade the western world

who else is there?? nobody that's who

posted on Jul, 8 2004 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by UK Wizard

There is no need to have missile shield against nuclear missles, who's going to fire them at us Russia? no way, they are now our friends and allies

The missile shield aka "son of star wars" is ment to protect against a rouge nation threat. It would never defend aginst Russia etc. To many missiles to intercept. Why would any nation want that protection? Once the X-Band radar emplacement is build in England the ability to intercept launches from the ME. This is not an attempt to fight the cold war over again. Also, I firmly believe that the money spend in R&D for this project will make its way to the civlian sector like GPS did etc.

posted on Jul, 8 2004 @ 01:31 PM
link   
it's called the future. from now into the near future nations that are now our allies could be our enemies or nations already our enemy could develope nuclear capabilities.

posted on Jul, 8 2004 @ 01:46 PM
link   
Quote from source,

QUESTION:
A question to Mr. Rumsfeld and Senator Hill. On the joint training facilities, could you say how many troops you envisage using that, how much money the United States intends putting into these facilities, what sort of training you're proposing, and whether it involves any pre-positioning of American military equipment in Australia?

Thank you.

SENATOR HILL:
Today, we've agreed the concept, we've indicated certain bases within Australia that will require upgrading to a standard that we would like to see for the future that would be also useful to the United States in joint training. We will now develop specific projects in relation to that upgrading, which will go to both governments over the next few months.

and...
(Hill) But as you would be aware, Singapore, for example, uses Australia's training bases and maintains training stocks in Australia as an economic way in which to do business. But the U.S. will determine what it needs in order to maximize the advantage it can get out of these training facilities and we would wish to be supportive because we believe it's a useful contribution we can make in our joint interests.

NOW for the punch line...
SECRETARY RUMSFELD:
Nothing to add.

MR. BOUCHER:
Okay. Thank you very much, ladies and gentlemen.

ENDS

www.minister.defence.gov.au...

Sanc'.

posted on Jul, 8 2004 @ 09:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by UK Wizard

Wow you are way too naive let me name some just for you China N. Korea Iran and possible other rouge nations so for you to say it is not needed is way to naive and retarded wouldn't you like to have it just in case instead of being caught off guard and helpless.

[edit on 9-7-2004 by WestPoint23]

posted on Jul, 9 2004 @ 03:09 AM
link   
Those rouge nations have excellent counter terrorism units. The basically storm the location, throw in a flashbang, fire mascara and foundation at people and totally end up making them all look like Martha Stewart. It's so humiliating they just surrender.

I believe they based a computer game on them called Rouge Spear.

new topics

top topics

join