It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Big Companies Set For Best Fourth Quarter Profit Ever

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 09:56 AM
link   

Big Companies Set For Best Fourth Quarter Profit Ever

www.huffingtonpost.com

Profits at S&P 500 companies are expected to have increased 20 percent between October and December, Bloomberg News reports. It would make for the best fourth quarter since Bloomberg started keeping records in 1992.

Big companies got a boost from rock-bottom interest rates, which have allowed them to hoard cash rather than use it to add jobs. In the third quarter, the most recent period for which such data are available, companies increased their cash holdings 7.3 percent best since 1956.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 09:56 AM
link   
This makes me feel like a cog in a nicely oiled machine.

Or better yet, like a drone bee.

In a world like ours is right now, with so many people out of work, poor, at food banks and homeless shelters, in need... how can companies be so flush and doing so well?

With the tears, sweat, and blood of the poor, hungry, and oppressed people that they are exploiting...

I feel so disheartened right now, as I don't know what feasibly it will take to stop this mad machine of corporate greed from feeding off all the people it does.

www.huffingtonpost.com

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 10:08 AM
link   
reply to post by thegoodearth

Much of corporate America has been collectively holding their breath.

With more balance of power now in US government growth and investment will be more attractive to them.

If you want to see Americans get back to work, and to see real not fabricated economic growth this should be good news for you.

Fiscal responsibility in government, smaller government, fewer regulations and lower taxes will mean real growth and opportunity for all of us.

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by thegoodearth

This makes me feel like a cog in a nicely oiled machine.

Or better yet, like a drone bee.

In a world like ours is right now, with so many people out of work, poor, at food banks and homeless shelters, in need... how can companies be so flush and doing so well?

With the tears, sweat, and blood of the poor, hungry, and oppressed people that they are exploiting...

I feel so disheartened right now, as I don't know what feasibly it will take to stop this mad machine of corporate greed from feeding off all the people it does.

www.huffingtonpost.com

In short, they are getting more production out of fewer employees. They sacrificed the people they felt they could, made an example of them, and have now turned to you, me, and all the rest of the employed and basically stated, "You should feel lucky to have a job, that person was more qualified, but I see something special about you. Here, take on his duties also, and I will get you a little extra time off."

Its a win-win in their eyes. They pay fewer people to get the same amount of work done. Imagine if 2 people got let go from every single department at every single company (basically what has happened). Then look at the cost of keeping each person employed through the year. (AVG ~$50k USD, incl benefits, vacation, sick time, etc). So they save $100k in each department per year, just by letting 2 people go. The others in the dept will pick up the slack, because they dont want to be next.

We are being lead by fear. Its quite simple to do.

new topics

top topics

join