It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I'm starting to lose my faith in God and Jesus.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 11:14 PM
link   
Faith is in general the persuasion of the mind that a certain statement is true.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 01:21 AM
link   
reply to post by FeedTic

The word of God says where two or more are gathered in my name, there am I in the midst. It also says, seek ye
first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things shall be added unto you.
The Lord also says, "never will I leave you nor forsake you. It is also written, do not put the Lord your God to the test. so could it be that your requests are out of the will of God? praying for the wrong things in the wrong way? putting your situation in God's hands ad then when the answer doesn't turn out to your favor, you try to work it out your way? Please don't forget the God whom you serve is the very God who created the whole universe and everything in it. Were you there when he designed the stars and placed each planet in its place according to his will? Do you know the measurements of each galaxy or even how many blades of grass there are on the earth. Well he does, and He hasn't forgotten you He has had his angles charge over you! your every footsteps are ordered by God. Don't forget the punishment that Jesus Christ endured for you and the blood he shed for you that day on the cross! He became a curse in His fathers own eyes so you can skip the flames of Hell.
He did all of that for you,so the question should be to yourself, have I taken up my cross daily? do I live a life thats pleasing to God? Remember His ways are not our ways and His thoughts are not our thoughts.
and Stay encouraged because in the end times God will separate the wheat from the chaff.
I will pray that the lord keep you closer than before and more focused. Don't lose heart for your fist love!
God bless you! Jesus Loves you!

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 01:31 AM
link   
God or any other type of Deities is not real. Get some common sense people it is just impossible for something such as God to exist.
You might be thinking "oh, what does this person know?" well i actually went to catholic school for a while when i was little (I am now 18) but in the past about, 4 years or so i have come to the conclusion that there is no such thing as God.
And if there is an after life like Heaven or Hell or whatever you believe in, there is no way anyone could know for sure.
I am an Atheist/Agnostic.

Sooo on my time on earth I am going to live life to the fullest cause this is the only life I have to live.

By the way.... i don't discriminate against people who do practice a religion. I am just putting my two cents in.

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 01:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by FeedTic
I have been a Christian since I was 6 years old. I'm now almost 40 and I just don't see how God helps anyone. I mean I pray, my wife prays, and other people I know pray, but the prayers are randomly answered. The bible says that when two or more people come together and pray for the same thing that the prayer will be answered. In my experiences the prayers are hardly ever answered.

I know that there is always an out for the faithful. "It wasn't God's will" or "It will be answered in God's timing not ours." How convenient. I bet I could pray to the Sun and get the the same answers.

Anyway, I'm at a crossroad. Do I continue the path toward God, or do I turn away and follow my own path. I bet I get the same results either direction.

Is anyone else at this crossroad, or have been there? What did you do? What caused you to take the road that your on?

I hope this was the right forum to post this. If not, Mods please move. Thanks.

Before we get started, I'd just like to say: First time, long time -- woop-woop! Salutations, greetings and all that good stuff!

Now though, to the OP... God Bless him...

While people can most certainly be Christians in their younger years, the defining event of a Christian's spiritual growth and redemption is when he or she is born again. This effectively grants them the gift of being absolved of all their sins in thanks to our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ's selfless and wholly loving actions throughout his life amongst us.

With that said, it seems you're missing out on or forgetting one key piece of information here. The Holy Spirit. Indeed, it would most certainly be highly unlikely for you to even find yourself in this predicament in the first place should you have already found it indwelling within you.

As for the whole prayer thing, you're definitely not quoting or remembering from the Bible. Sure, whenever many people come together under the unity of prayer for something greater than themselves, it's a good thing. A beautiful thing, even! And it's most certainly heard by God as every prayer is heard by God. But as for it automatically becoming granted due to the two or more fervently praying Christians within the prayer team? Unfortunately no, this is not how things actually work.

Everything in our lives happens for a reason. While you may feel like you've been neglected and not taken care of as of late, this certainly doesn't mean you have to go the other way. To take the darkened, fate-sealed path heading directly to... well, you know.

Indeed, I must admit, you've already showed tremendous bravery and a thirst for salvation by even thinking of making this thread in your current state. This is good, of course, but it does mean that there is probably -- presently -- a very fierce and violent behind-the-scenes battle for your soul. Only one side can win and they're both doing whatever they can to try and influence you into choosing theirs. Whether you finally decide to make whole your physical, mental and spiritual core by being invoked with what amounts to Jesus Christ riding shotgun inside of you each day is ultimately up to you. But I have a feeling that since I just happened to be here -- albeit practically half-asleep -- and was able to grumpily fight off the urge to just say forget the whole thing and go to sleep... that your time has finally come.

While the specifics of what you say are inherently personal and private to you, just know that all you need to do is ask for forgiveness and that all your sins be washed away due to the supreme sacrifice Lord Jesus Christ so lovingly made for all of us. That you know and believe in your heart that Jesus Christ is the true Son of God and He did die on the cross, only to be resurrected three days later to fulfill the prophecies regarding His human life should also be stated in some way -- even if it's without words and teary eyes...

Regardless of the path you choose, I'll be hoping and praying for you. And for everyone on this board, as well. My apologies if I came off to anyone a bit too strong in my first post, but I felt the situation was warranted.

Good night, be safe and God Bless!

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 01:56 AM
link   
positive vibes are always good...

I hope the OP gets some hope and enlightenment from this thread

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 03:22 AM
link   
"God" is such a loaded word. People's ideas of God come from man made religion. Religion designed to control. No need to lose faith, just change it a little. The great thing is God is unchanging, it's just our understandings and perceptions that change.

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 03:30 AM
link   
I too have came to crossroad and stared upon the abyss.
I found no useful answers there.
I will not tell you which direction to take.
I can tell you what i found.
Greed, self-interest, bigotry, love, self loathing, and hate. (other things were there in my abyss of which i will not speak)
Each I had to weight in my heart.
I almost would rather take my chances anywhere else than stare upon that face again. I did not find god there was only myself alone.
My results.
I now have more understanding and love of myself. Then I started working on the whole God thing. I hope this helps (sending love).
edit on 8-1-2011 by Ubeen because: (no reason given)

edit on 8-1-2011 by Ubeen because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 03:58 AM
link   
God is not here to pray to.
God is here to get to know.

Peace 2 all

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 04:09 AM
link   
reply to post by catrynaaa

God or any other type of Deities is not real. Get some common sense people it is just impossible for something such as God to exist. . .
. . .And if there is an after life like Heaven or Hell or whatever you believe in, there is no way anyone could know for sure.
I would have to say that the only thing that is real is God. Do you think you are real, or anything else you see around you? What makes you real? Nothing material. There is no material when you look at it closely. There is energy momentarily serving as a particle, then it goes its way, followed by another energy wave that takes its turn acting like a part of your body. The fact that you are a soul keeps your personality in existence, and that is maintained constantly by God.
There is an afterlife and I know because I died and went there, and then God brought me back. That is a little unusual but something that did happen, even though it is supposed to be impossible. But, nevertheless I am here as a witness to this place where you go when you die. That is not the first or the last miracle I have experienced, but one among many. I don't have an answer to why more deserving people are dead while I am alive but not something for me to worry about but to make use of what I have right now.
I don't understand how people do not have faith and I probably had to develop a dependency to survive almost from birth from stuff they did not have a treatment for years ago and had to rely on God for my daily survival. I became keenly aware of the connection to God for life and maybe some people have never had to live that way and just take life for granted, which is a terrible oversight.

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 04:48 AM
link   
reply to post by FeedTic

God is not obligated to hear one's prayers if they are living in unrepentant sin. That's one possible scenario. There are many possible reasons for prayers falling on "deaf" ears. I have quite the different experience, my prayers usually have a positive outcome. What exactly are you praying for?

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by FeedTic
Yes, really. I was always more mature than my age. Always a step ahead of my classmates. I understood what it meant to be a Christian. I've lived my life trying to be faithful to God. Trying to discern what God wanted me to do.

Now, I am starting to question his existence. I've always believed the Bible was the inspired word of God, but now it seems to be bogus. It says that with the holy spirit in us that we can even raise the dead. Have you ever heard of someone raising the dead lately?

I asked because I was 4 years old when I was led into the "ask Jesus in your heart" prayer. I lived my life just like anyone else, the only difference was where I spent my Sunday mornings. This is the greatest problem of the Christian church of the last 100 years. False converts are filling the pews and the church is being judged by what they do, that is why most people view Christians as hypocrites. It wasn't until I was 25 years old that God slapped me awake and I became born again, and a true follower of Jesus. The Gospel message has been turned into a "feel good, have a better life now" message, which is a lie straight from hell. We are all going to die, and stand before the Lord. We have all broken His commands and sinned. Either we turn from our sin and repent, and trust in Jesus taking our punishment on our behalf... or we represent ourselves in court and receive what we deserve HELL.

After coming to an understanding of this, how could I be discouraged if my prayers aren't answered, or life isn't going my way. When we lost our 1st child, I will admit, it was rough, but God got us through it. The natural reaction was to ask God why? He does not have to give us an answer, and I am fine with that, remember God's response to Job when he asked why? When bad stuff happens we should look in the mirror because all of this evil exists because we sin, and are descendants of the original sinners. Man brought this mess, but God will fix it in the end.

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 10:32 AM
link   
reply to post by NOTurTypical

I'm sorry, but I doubt that your prayers have a statistically significant positive outcome. Prayer in general doesn't work. And one of the many reasons that it's obvious is that different people who believe in different deities think that praying to their deity works when they've met the right criteria, yet they don't think it works for the others who are praying to different deities.

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 10:57 AM
link   
reply to post by madnessinmysoul

Why on Earth would you feel it necessary to comment on my personal experiences?

Virtually everything I can recall praying for has had a positive outcome, except one particular request. Sometimes people don't realize that God's answer to their prayer could be "no". I can say without a doubt my experiences are nothing like the OPs.

edit on 8-1-2011 by NOTurTypical because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 12:53 PM
link   
reply to post by NOTurTypical

Why? Because this discussion needs counterpoints.

And I can say, though with possible doubts, that you may be unconsciously selecting the positive examples while ignoring possible negative outcomes, as most people tend to do. We unconsciously select with a certain bias in our memories, so I'm not accusing you of doing anything different than what I do when I think about my own life. Hell, I'm sure I've done it myself today, though I wouldn't be able to pinpoint when.

Though I must also deem it fit to ask: why does God say no so often? If God can cure cancer, and a righteous individual asks for cancer to be cured or for a cure to be discovered now, why does it not happen? And once more I must ask, why does God not heal amputees?

The concept of prayer seems...bogus. I've yet to see any defense of it. And I'm not going to say that it's a point against theism, as I don't really think the concept of god/s is tied inherently to the concept of god/s that answer prayers.

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Im constantly amazed how many people live in fear of "hell" yet they have no idea if it exists or not...

Why live in fear of a fairy tale, i just don't understand. Do you people fear the boogyman as well? How about Dark places like closets?

Im fully convinced Hell is nothng more then a fear tactic used for years to control people, it has no logical basis what so ever...similar to the Devil. As if hes waiting for me in Hell so he can stick me with a pitchfork.

Can't people clearly see it was a fear tactic used by the church, read the references to Hell in the bible!! The book was written so long ago, some people still thought the world was flat and we could fall off of it if we traveled to far. And of course, "the earth is the center of the universe"

Can't you see the rediculousness of the idea....?

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by rebeldog
reply to post by ACTS 2:38

i forgot, you a christian.. unable to confront any issue.. divert, insult, answer a question with a question.. so, tell me why won't you respond to any of my questions to you..

I know, you are a typical never been anywhere, done anything, seen anything put of your fish bowl.. i tried to give you the benefit of doubt.. how foolish of me, you can't directly attempt to answer my questions due to their being -no answer you can come up with. further proof that christians are morons- having the intellectual age of years old with limited reasonong ability..

KRISTOS/KRISHNA? ZUES/JESUS? ETC ETC.. TAOISTS? HINDUS? come on..where have you lived outside of the US? how many different places in the US? ever been in combat?? ever worked for our govt?? any govt?? fishbowler.....

First off if I did offend I apologize, secondly I do not divert or insult that is the tactics of a person who has nothing to bring to the discussion.

You see your second paragraph is exactly what you claim I did. Yet you do not know If this is true.
I have been to 43 of the 48 continental united states of America, all across lower Canada, and into Baja California, I have Gold mined both placer and hard rock for 3 years, excavated for a living for the past 6 years, study daily the fact of creation and the implications of the lies of evolution through the purchase and reading of public indoctrination text books.

I have been in construction all my life, as an electrician, plumber, and now for the last 20 a general contractor.
Never been in the Armed Forces, yet I give all my respect and backing to everyone who has does and will ever selfishly devote their time to protect this nation.

Though I do have public service in my history;
I have for the last year and a half had to pick up side work with a Funeral Home picking up the deceased.
And for two years now I have been a volunteer Fire Fighter, and am in a 10 week coarse training to be a First Responder.

I was born in Michigan, lived there some, Chicago some, California for 10 years as a child and adult, but grew up 6 grade - graduation in Carriere Mississippi. Now on Coastal Oregon for the last 22 years.

I would say I do live in a Fishbowl, it is a large tank though.

Now I will go back and answer your questions.

edit on 8-1-2011 by ACTS 2:38 because: hmm

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by coyotepoet
"God" is such a loaded word. People's ideas of God come from man made religion. Religion designed to control. No need to lose faith, just change it a little. The great thing is God is unchanging, it's just our understandings and perceptions that change.

When you say religion is here to control is that, because you do not like the rules?

Like where does right and wrong come from? Your claim that God is unchanging is spot on, so if God is unchanging and mans perception does then where would we look to see that we have deviated from the plan that God wants us to follow, willingly.

There are misconceptions of what religion is if you are saying say a Joel Olsteen type which gets up and claims all kinds of stuff that is not of the word then yes,
but if you are saying that people who like the original church in the book of Acts where you are to be humble, defend the word, love everyone, hate all sin, lay on hands and pray, people of the same mind gather together then no.

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 01:46 PM
link   
reply to post by rebeldog

Your question
"""""""""tell me einstein, who ever prayed to die of a disease, be abused, raped, starved, imprisoned, poor,??

oh, so we are like god... immature, incapable of forgiveness, malicious, vengeful, jealous, insecure about "himself" (requires worship), unfair, petty, never got over the apple of knowledge adam and eve thing.. by the way i guess we are all inbred then. """"""""""""

In a simple answer, NO.

Yet God is not the one that broke the sin, man did and God did not devise all the evils that man does to each other the Devil and Man have come up with this.

And yes God did create us and he has the right keep or to destroy us. Just as a potter does with his creations

To elaborate;

God created us perfect, without any genetic defects, designed to live forever.

Since he created us we are his, like you are the offspring of your parents.
You have the ability to do the will of your parents just like God's will also.
If you as a child did something wrong in a normal setting there would be a punishment / reward system for your actions.

God told Adam, who told Eve God's one simple requirement, DO NOT EAT of the tree in the middle of the garden or you will surly die. Guess what this is why we die now, soon that will all change back to the way he originally designed us.

Your physical mind does not believe, yet your spiritual soul knows. It is that you have terminated conversation with your spirit.

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 04:39 PM
link   
reply to post by ACTS 2:38

see you just proved your lack of higher IQ.. god created us perfect?? really?

then how did man make a mistake if we were perfect?? would a perfect creation, created by a perfect being EVER be anything other than perfect? obviously you don't listen to yourself..

perfection is perfection, making anything that isn't perfect shows the creator as NOT PERFECT.. kinda like a parent blaming a kid for their behavior.. wouldn't the parent be responsible for the "childs" actions? hmmm

i know, i know..

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 04:45 PM
link   
reply to post by FeedTic

Hi, I see you have so many responses, but I am new and before becoming a member wanted to respond to this one. I have just come back to Jesus after a very long hiatus of trying it w/o him. The Church really screwed me up in who Jesus was/is and why I left the Church to study on my own. Needless to say, I didn't believe in Jesus at all but only the NT for a very long time. I thought I had it, as far as Yahweh was concerned, although it left me a little flat. I tried really hard to find my spirit in all of this over the years but no one could ever get me to accept the "lie" of Jesus. Accepting Jesus was like accepting all the other lies the Church told. Accepting Jesus was torture because all these church people were very different than I was and did so many pagan things I wondered if they ever read the bible themselves. Needless to say I got thrown out of a lot of churches and made even some enemies with the congregation because I let my beliefs be known. I was an outcast anyway which is the other reason why I left.

Long/short: I got myself all mixed up. I lost everyone in my life. Everyone was deceitful and lied even when they knew I realized they were lying...family and everyone! All I was was lies everywhere in everything. One day, this past week, I called out for Jesus like I had never called out for him! You know what he said? All this time you have wanted me to validate all the lies. These lies were meant for your death. I could not validate lies as if they were truth. Come to me. I want to validate you for who you really are...in a manner of speaknig Jesus said this to me. At that moment I understood who Jesus was...The Truth. Where He Has Been. Inside of me waiting to until I was able to see the Truth of who He is so that my life could be enveloped in HIm. Since that day I have been much happier than I have been in forever. I was going to commit suicide. I wasn't supposed to be here today but I am.

Sometimes we think of God as if he belongs in our pocket and we can take him out as we please and then put Him away until we need Him again. We call on Him for our support but we don't understand who we are in Him. So if we lack that understanding of who we are in Him, there is no Him and He won't appear in our lives.

Blessings...Love, love, love YOU

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join