It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I'm starting to lose my faith in God and Jesus.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 04:22 PM
link   
reply to post by FeedTic

I was at that crossroads although I reached it early on in my late teens. At the time I wanted to strengthen my faith so I decided to read more of the Bible hoping it would answer all the questions that the pastor and my parents couldn't answer. I ended up with more questions, the Bible turned out to be far more self-contradictory than I had ever expected during my years as a Christian. Eventually I drifted into deism and then a sort of new age pantheism. I'm an atheist now.

I recommend researching other religions as well as arguments for and against the existence of god(s). Knowledge is power and you should always strive to think for yourself, if there is a god I doubt he would punish someone for questioning and looking for the truth.

Good luck

edit on 7-1-2011 by Titen-Sxull because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by rebeldog
reply to post by ACTS 2:38

real convenient you answered this most immaterial question i posted,, please elaborate on my other reply questions if you will..

please understand that i WISH it were all true.. i DO consider you a brother, i care so much about people i try to "save" them from the corrupt mindf--k christians are under, you sound like a very compassioante person like myself..

to people fighting each other to help each other.. irony, no? i merely post questions to anyone with an open mind.. "god" is purposefully being an ineffective communicator, as it is the communicator's responsibility to modify their approach to being understood by those those are communicating to. to intentionally allow all the people over time to kill each other because "god" couldn't simply restate "his" message in a clearer manner proves the assinninity of the whole religion mumbo-jumbo..
example..
imagine a river filled with hungry piranha, and your job was to get across it. Only I was the only one who knew where the bridge was. expected you to get across, told you there was a way across but you say "what, i didn't quite catch that" "can you elaborate a liitle bit on where the bridge is" i respond "....." but hey if you get eaten swimming across don't worry, that was my plan

i belive their is a CREATOR of some sort..

So as a creator you wish he would change his approach to communicate with us who rebel against his standards in which he wants us to live by at our choice.

It is in your opinion that he allows us to kill each other and the the devils doing, because we devise evil it was not created.

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 05:22 PM
link   
reply to post by FeedTic

we tend to think of God as the bearded father on a throne of clouds but other schools of thought have their own way of describing God. When you ride the wave of life, which has troughs and crests, you will experience a variety of things but the most important thing to understand is that it is part of your eternal journey to get closer to the creator. maybe...

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 05:38 PM
link   
A Christian since 6 years old? Not that I am calling you a liar, but at the age of 6 you realized that you are a sinner and have broken God's laws and deserve an eternity in hell, and that Jesus being the good God that He is, came to earth as a human, lived a sin free life, and died to take the punishment you deserve, and offers forgiveness if you put total trust in His sacrifice and not in any of your works, really???

In retrospect, I thank God for unanswered prayers. I often operate off of my own selfish, short sited wants, and am ignorant to the grand scheme. Romans 8:28 doesn't mean that all things happen for my good, or what I think is good, but rather good with respect to God's master plan.

I am having a difficult time understanding your dilemma as a professing Christian. As a Christian, one must have a relationship with Jesus. Are you saying that you don't believe He exists... meaning you lack a relationship with Him (implying you are not a Christian) or are you saying that you know He is God, you are willfully turning your back on Him, and going your own way because you are not getting what you want?

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 06:00 PM
link   
reply to post by FeedTic

Don't lose hope! Jesus IS the son of God! He WAS crucified and He did raise from the dead 3 days later. When you pray know who you're praying to! GOD ALMIGHTY! When you get an answer to a prayer, remember who answers it! GOD ALMIGHTY! Thank Him and humble yourself before the Lord! God is not a vending machine, nor is He silent. His voice is like a whisper and His heart is full of love! If you are busy with your own ambitions and your own desires you won't hear His voice. Bless you brother and I pray that your faith is renewed!
edit on 7-1-2011 by freedish because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 06:13 PM
link   
reply to post by superluminal11

Anyone questioning their faith right now should look to Wayne Dyer - if ever there was a Christian Guru - he is it.
Conversations with God is another series of books by Neil Donald Walsh who explains it all, which ever religion you follow.

At the end of the day -We are All One and constant study and meditation will lead you in the end to this conclusion. We are all Creators but this has been kept hidden from us.

Please tell me anything bad in the world that wasn't caused by Man?

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 06:20 PM
link   
I don't want to tell you what to do, rather I will share my experience. When I hit the crossroads, I dropped the dogma but maintained the spirit in my heart. After watching Joseph Cambell, a scholar in international myth, something he said resonated with me and that is god is a god of a thousand faces, appearing through one's familiar vernacular. Additionally I expanded the notion and now I have a similar view to the Taoist and the tao as well as the Native American "spirit in all things." I see god more as a force than an entity, but this is just my opinion.
Follow your heart....

Peace,
spec

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 06:26 PM
link   
One can believe in what ever one chooses but if you don't WALK THE TALK then what is the point . When St Peter meets you at the top of that Staircase and asks you - "what are your beliefs so I know where to slot you in" and you tell him your beliefs - he will say "Prove it" ----- CAN YOU DO THAT - Can you show him what you did? What your actions were?
Actions speek louder than words to those around you!

Thoughts lead to Words which in turn lead to Action. Guard your thoughts and the rest will automatically be guarded!

It's no good being like a sports fan - when your team is winning you give your full support and faith in the team
but when they're losing you withdraw it. That's not Faith.

Study leads to knowing which is different from belief. When you believe something to be true - you can't know its true until you experience it yourself - that is knowing and no person can know it for you. No person can tell you what to know.
Look deep within and you will find all the answers that are needed for your stage in the evolution of YOUR Soul.

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 06:34 PM
link   
reply to post by FeedTic

Relax and do something else for a while. You can sort this out for yourself like we all do. In the meanwhile stay away evangelical christians if you want to regain your ability to think rationally.

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 06:45 PM
link   
reply to post by FeedTic

Let me share with you a bit about how I came to be as I am now, an agnostic atheist.

I started out as a quite devout Roman Catholic, raised in the Church from birth, baptized within walking distance of my current residence (in fact, I pass the location every time I walk to the bus stop). I stayed this way until I was about...15-16. What changed? Well, I started to really answer questions. I mean, I always questioned, but I started to realize that the answers weren't adequate.

It all really started to unravel when I read the Bible. It really only made me doubt Catholicism, which isn't based so much in the Bible, but then I also started to doubt the Bible-believers when I realized the book is self-contradictory, sometimes within the same chapter of the same book (see Exodus 33 and tell me whether or not Moses talked to God face-to-face).

So I decided to become a declared 'agnostic', not really knowing what it meant. I thought it meant 'undecided', when it really just means 'not knowing' and can apply to monotheists, polytheists, atheists, deists, pantheists, etc. I then investigated as many belief systems as I could find out, eventually sort of settling on a form of atheistic Buddhism (no deities, not no spirituality).

Of course, I then started to see that I was just trying to cling on to the vestiges of spiritual thought, not realizing exactly how contradictory it all was. After about a year, maybe a year and a half, I had gone from devout Catholic to agnostic atheist. And that's where I stand now. And it's not like I'm that way because I'm closed minded, or hate God, or had a bad experience, etc...I just don't see any reason to accept any claims of any religion on this planet. I still remember the first time that I said aloud "I don't believe in God"...and it was obviously in bed on my own in the dark because I was kept up by these thoughts. I was so afraid at that point, but when I said it...it was like a weight lifted. Like...I was finally being honest with myself.

So if you're having trouble with your doubts, and want some advice from a friendly atheist that won't push you one way or another (I believe theism vs atheism vs whatever else is up to the individual, I'm just here to answer questions and provide material that you are free to read or not read), u2u me.

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 07:01 PM
link   
There was a line in a movie I saw that said: "God answers all prayers. But sometimes the answer is 'no'."

In other words, we lowly humans can't get upset and think 'OMG GOD DOESN'T EXIST BECAUSE HE'S A BAD LISTENER AND IS IGNORING ME!".... God can do whatever He wants. This is his world, we just live in it.

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 07:25 PM
link   
reply to post by ACTS 2:38

i forgot, you a christian.. unable to confront any issue.. divert, insult, answer a question with a question.. so, tell me why won't you respond to any of my questions to you..

I know, you are a typical never been anywhere, done anything, seen anything put of your fish bowl.. i tried to give you the benefit of doubt.. how foolish of me, you can't directly attempt to answer my questions due to their being -no answer you can come up with. further proof that christians are morons- having the intellectual age of years old with limited reasonong ability..

KRISTOS/KRISHNA? ZUES/JESUS? ETC ETC.. TAOISTS? HINDUS? come on..where have you lived outside of the US? how many different places in the US? ever been in combat?? ever worked for our govt?? any govt?? fishbowler.....

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 07:51 PM
link   
reply to post by FeedTic

Don't count on God to help you with anything. If God exists, it is a selfish prick that demands praise in return for nothing.

Only you can make things happen, only you can help your family members. So get out there and take charge in everything occuring around you and fix them yourself. One thing religion does, is reduce the strengthening of your character because you lean on an imaginary being to "guide" you through things. So as I said before, start doing things on your own now, or with your wife, with utmost aggression and dedication.

edit on 7-1-2011 by Somehumanbeing because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 07:59 PM
link   
I believe in a God, prime creator, a supreme being, what ever you want to call the being who put the forces in motion to created life and the universe, but I just don't subscribe to any religion. I was raised catholic and I was an alter boy. I became skeptical about religion after seeing how hypocritical and controlling all religions truly are. I would rather just try to live a life of respect to the human race and the environment. I've just met too many church going people that are just down right mean, and priests and preachers that are bigger sinners than their flocks. Too many know it alls, who don't even know themselves what awaits them on the other side.

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 08:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by kingofmd
A Christian since 6 years old? Not that I am calling you a liar, but at the age of 6 you realized that you are a sinner and have broken God's laws and deserve an eternity in hell, and that Jesus being the good God that He is, came to earth as a human, lived a sin free life, and died to take the punishment you deserve, and offers forgiveness if you put total trust in His sacrifice and not in any of your works, really???

Yes, really. I was always more mature than my age. Always a step ahead of my classmates. I understood what it meant to be a Christian. I've lived my life trying to be faithful to God. Trying to discern what God wanted me to do.

Now, I am starting to question his existence. I've always believed the Bible was the inspired word of God, but now it seems to be bogus. It says that with the holy spirit in us that we can even raise the dead. Have you ever heard of someone raising the dead lately?

Maybe I should keep my faith in a creator, and just stop reading the Bible. Maybe the Bible is where all of my trouble started.

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 08:44 PM
link   
Give a man fish and feed him for a day.....

Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime.....

Give a man religion and he will starve to death praying for fish.

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 08:50 PM
link   
I once thought there was a God and a son of god and all that.. until i actually switched to a Catholic school and started learning about it and having to go to church and all that and that's when i kind of realized hey.. I can pray to him all i want hes not giving me anything or doing anything to help me out in life so he must not really be there and with all the good things ur suppose to do ur still not getting any help with problems back for it. so that's when i kinda started seeing it as some old kind of conspiracy thing to try and get people to believe in something to get them to be better. And when you think about it..it's kind of true they tell you to go to church everyday and have a wife and kids and do bad things and what not..Yet everything thats good in life seems to go against what that they have to say... So the way i see it is... # happens not for any reason just people being in the wrong place at the wrong time and things like that.. But really its Your choice to believe

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 09:12 PM
link   
reply to post by FeedTic

What did I do? Well, I realized how absurd it is and immediately became an atheist, just like that. Even if the biblical god was real, I still would not worship him (not anymore). Just read the old testament and imagine how you would feel as you witness him murdering millions of people and advocating rape, slavery, deception, childhood indoctrination, sexism, homophobia, favoritism, infinite punishment for finite "sins", etc. Just go where the evidence leads and listen to your mind; listen to yourself, not your heart. Your heart just pumps blood and nothing more, but I'm sure you know that all emotions come from your brain. Basically, just do whatever the hell you want. No book can rightfully tell you that something is true without any evidence to support it.

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 09:42 PM
link   
I believe its good to have fait in something. However... One of my main opinions is that there are soo many different types of religion world wide that have different gods that are "the god". If there is a Jesus or God then how can there be others, vice versa?

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 09:43 PM
link   
Yes, I have too come to that "fork in the road" not too long ago. I had been praying the same prayers for years and years and was torn between feeling forgotten by God and still wanting to believe.

The time I began to deny or question was the time things turned around and I felt closest to God than I had for a very long time. I began to take time to listen, to know myself and to seek God's Truth.

Spend some time listening, He will speak to you. Ask God to show you a sign.

Don't lose faith, this struggle within may be a wake up to change something or to see something.

Take time learning about yourself too, what do you really like, want, feel, etc.? How can you know God without knowing yourself?

God bless you and I hope that you and He will work it all out. Peace to you. I will pray God reveal Truth to you.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join