It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Groundbreaking achievement that could help scientists "build" new biological systems

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 08:17 AM
link   

In a groundbreaking achievement that could help scientists "build" new biological systems, Princeton University scientists have constructed for the first time artificial proteins that enable the growth of living cells. The team of researchers created genetic sequences never before seen in nature, and the scientists showed that they can produce substances that sustain life in cells almost as readily as proteins produced by nature's own toolkit.

"What we have here are molecular machines that function quite well within a living organism even though they were designed from scratch and expressed from artificial genes," said Michael Hecht, a professor of chemistry at Princeton, who led the research. "This tells us that the molecular parts kit for life need not be limited to parts -- genes and proteins -- that already exist in nature."

Source
Wow this is incredible imo even though,who knows exactly how far ahead we really are medically,scientifically and technology wise.(I personally think and feel we have/know a lot more then we are sharing!)
The improvements,inventions and findings are sure moving along either way you look at it.just hope we can truly find some ground breaking cures & remedies.

edit on 7-1-2011 by PerfectPerception because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 08:43 AM
link   
reply to post by PerfectPerception

Im 22 atm but since I was a little boy I always told people ''By the time im fourty people will be livin till 150 and most major diseases will have been cured''

I still firmly believe this.

Article is cool... Common sense though, people dont seem to realise that we're on the edge of big big things!

SALUTE!!!

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 11:48 AM
link   
WTF, the source claims humans have 100,000 different proteins. AFAIK the real number is more like 25,000. Also as they designed their proteins I'm rather sure they copied a lot of domain structures like a-helixes and perhaps binding sites, etc. In other words, they didn't produce from scratch.

new topics

join