It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Labour MP to be sentenced for expenses scandal. Justice at last?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 07:26 AM
link   
After stealing over £20,00 from public money, Labour MP David Chaytor is to be sentenced today where he could face charges of false accounting and receive a sentence of up to 7 years in prison.

MP's expenses David Chaytor to be sentenced

Prosecutors say Chaytor deliberately tried to "siphon off" public money he was not entitled to by providing false documents to back up claims for rent which he never paid.

My question is this, has justice truly been served?

In my opinion it has not, a lot more MP's have gotten off lightly with this scandal. It doesn't matter how much they 'borrowed' if any normal person fiddled as much with their expenses in the jobs they had, they would be fired without a second chance.

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 07:37 AM
link   
No, it hasn't. I'd be surprised if he got a harsh sentence. A while ago, the father of my friend was jailed for 5 years for benefit fraud, he stole around £10,000 over a few years. Of course, what he did was wrong, but he lived in a terrible tiny flat on a council estate, and he and his wife both earnt minimum wage doing menial jobs, hardly living the high life with his stolen money. Compare that to the £100k+ some of these MPs have stolen, it's nothing. Not only that, but they are already earning well over £50k+ a year, they don't need expenses. Being an MP should be about representing the people, not getting rich..you just have to look at some of the reasons these individuals claimed expenses for to see these people care only about themselves.

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 08:41 AM
link   
I think the world has gone MAD..............

How many councils do we have in this country ?? Each one being responsible for a

percentage of area of UK. and the heads of said councils all i beleive being paid MORE

than the man who is responsible for running the WHOLE country (and no i dont think the

PM should be paid more ) i think the said councilers should have a HUGE salary reduction

more in line with the size of the area they are responsible for and they should have certificates

in accountacy after all they are only spending OUR money and they should be doing it in the

MOST EFFICIENT way.

AS for MP's living allowance they should have flatlets in London (I'm sure there are many

large government buildings empty!) or stay in a Travel Lodge. After all there are many people

I know who work away from home and have to make do with cheap digs and they dont get

the extended holidays that MP's get

join