It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Terror Fears: Extra Police At Transport Hubs (London)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 06:35 AM
link   

Terror Fears: Extra Police At Transport Hubs (London)

news.sky.com

Sky News understands security has been tightened at transport hubs in the London area amid continuing fears of a New Year terrorist attack.

Sky's security editor Sam Kiley said transport police are being told to cancel days off today and there will be a heavy presence across the capital and as far as Luton and Heathrow.

Members of the emergency services have also recently been briefed about how to respond to a Mumbai-style attack on the capital, Sky sources indicated.

The UK's terror threat level remains at its second highest level - severe - meaning an attack is highly likely.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 06:35 AM
link   
So, what do you lot think? More scare tactics or the real deal?

I know a lot of you always say it's BS.... just trying to scare us.... etc etc... but i dunno, i've been seeing a lot of Police at the tube stations over recent months and this just confirms why they are there IMO.

It seems something is on the cards so just be on the lookout for any suspicious looking people....

Should be more on the News today about the current threat!

news.sky.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 06:46 AM
link   
Personally I call shennanigans on this.

It comes the same day Deputy Prime Minister Nick Clegg is discussing counter-terrorism and a change to control orders.

Link To New Story

He's all for returning civil liberties that Labour took away during the war on terrorism, but I think they still want to let us folk in Britain know that they're still hell bent on scaring us into fearing terrorist attacks.

Just seems like a muscle flex to me.

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 06:51 AM
link   
reply to post by ALadInsane

Yes it does seem to be rather a strange coincidence. I join you in your deceleration of shenanigans

!!! It's shenanigans everybody !!!!!!

edit on 7-1-2011 by davespanners because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 06:58 AM
link   

ok, i hope you're right....

It is the sales time at the highstreets so a great time for an attack of some sort with mills of people shopping around.

I guess we'll see in the next month or so...

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 07:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by TruthxIsxInxThexMist

ok, i hope you're right....

It is the sales time at the highstreets so a great time for an attack of some sort with mills of people shopping around.

I guess we'll see in the next month or so...

I'd be more worried if the powers that be suddenly reduced police presence at transport hubs. That would make me think something was going to happen.

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 07:31 AM
link   
Ill save this for its own thread. Oh what fun ill have.
edit on 7-1-2011 by AndrewJay because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 07:32 AM
link   
Let's hope they don't shoot the wrong guy this time.

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 07:38 AM
link   
reply to post by TruthxIsxInxThexMist

I say scare tactics and information gathering combined.

Everyone can see the extra police presence and they can question any "dodgy" looking characters.

London 2008, I had my details taken 3 times by the Police at this time of year.
I seem to remember extra "security precautions" were in place with announcements being made on local radio.

The first time my details were asked for, i refused, but was told that I could be arrested and detained as a suspected terrorist if i did not comply. And held without charge. all perfectly legal. Blah Blah.
As i was in a hurry I complied.

3 days later it happened again. But i Was in a hurry so....
I Complied. But this time i noticed the police person had a mini cam on it's shoulder, like a borg, lol.

Then a week or so after that, i was stopped again. In the same place (a shopping centre in east london). Again i gave all my details.

On new years day, 2009 the police shut down a party that had been happening from new years eve.
They stopped the mini-bus i was traveling in and took everyones details. same deal "prevention of terrorism" crap.
When they got to me they already knew my name. But it was different, plain clothes un marked car police.
And I had not lived in london for about 5 years at that stage. I've never been back to the u.k since

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 08:17 AM
link   
I'm not sure if this is related to the raised "threat", but police in Hull have swooped on four men, and amongst the police it is alleged that four foreign officers were involved.

Police swoop on four suspects in Hull

Whether this turns out to be a swoop for drug dealers, bank robbers, persistent dog foulers, or failure to pay council tax remains to be seen. But, I do wonder why four foreign police would be involved, and would also wonder more about the legality of foreign officers acting on British soil.

Watch this space, or rather the space on the news, my space is as boring as it ever was, and ever shall be.

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 08:43 AM
link   
Apart from the obvious benefits of increased security, the system is most definitely based on scare tactics, though not directed at the public. There is no point in telling people about the threat of something without actually advising them on how to deal with it, and scaring the public isn’t as easy as people are trying to make out. Are you scared?

PIRA and the like were vastly more capable than the ‘baddies’ we are dealing with today, the Nazis’ terror bombings didn’t break us, quite the opposite in fact, and then as now the official announcements tend to focus on the response as opposed to the act itself, a form of psychological damage control. After 7/7, we went back to work and carried on as normal the very next day, we have better things to worry about than the prospect of being killed in a terror attack, in the UK you have more chance of being bitten to death by a squirrel anyway.

Operatives willing and trained to conduct terror attacks are an extremely rare and valuable resource. They know that they will die in the process, that doesn’t concern them, the worst case scenario is that they are killed before they are able to cause an adequate amount of chaos and bloodshed, or “terror”.

So, look at the threat level system from the perspective of someone planning to conduct a terror attack. The threat level goes up in advance of an attack, how do they (the authorities) know? What do they know? What are the risks of going ahead with it?

It forces them to make a lot of considerations that will not only cause them a lot of hassle in future, but cause internal strife in their organisation or network, and a likely result is the postponing or scrapping of the plan altogether. Prevention is better than cure, as they say.

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 10:03 AM
link   
www.spiked-online.com...

Hi I just thought that I would offer a link against the erosion of our rights due to terrorism. There is a genuine war and a fake war. We have to be careful to acertain whose agenda is behind this. I am not supporting terrorists but the situation is not as simple as we think. I am amazed that there has not been an attack over Xmas. Think Oxford Street Xmas shopping>

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by tiger5
www.spiked-online.com...

Hi I just thought that I would offer a link against the erosion of our rights due to terrorism. There is a genuine war and a fake war. We have to be careful to acertain whose agenda is behind this. I am not supporting terrorists but the situation is not as simple as we think. I am amazed that there has not been an attack over Xmas. Think Oxford Street Xmas shopping>

It's true, if anyone was planning an attack you'd think it would be now or a couple weeks ago and though the sales period upto end of January.... this would be the best time for anyone planning mass murder as there are loads of people on the streets, on the transport etc etc.... i know they caught a few bangladeshis a couple weeks back but there must be more planning something....

Anyway, i rthink this thread is getting buried under the 'mass birds and fish dying' horror..... which is a definate fact wheras this terror attack is speculation.

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 04:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Rob37n

Turns out they aren't terrorists, they were arrested on "suspicion of conspiracy to commit robbery", they were right outside a bank at the time. Looks like plod was on the ball for once.

new topics

top topics

join