It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK Gives £40m To Sudan For Humanitarian Aid

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 04:07 AM
link   

UK Gives £40m To Sudan For Humanitarian Aid

news.sky.com

The UK is to give a new £40m aid package to Sudan in response to the worsening humanitarian situation in the country.

The move comes ahead of a referendum on independence in southern Sudan.

The British government will donate the money to the UN's Common Humanitarian Fund to help provide emergency food supplies, healthcare, education, water and sanitation to millions of people.

The UK has also set aside £15m for "rapid response" planning, amid fears that the referendum could spark further conflict in the region.

"As the referendum approaches, we're working for the best outcom
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.theglobeandmail.com

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 04:08 AM
link   
Looks like UK is securing it's oil contracts with Southern Sudan with £40Mil 'aid' while the split between the North and Southern Sudan is going to be decided within the next few days.

Lets hope the North doesn't declare war against South otherwise things can get real ugly.This war isn't about Muslims VS Christians, it's all to do with the vast oil fields that exist in the South.

If Sudan is devided than it would be interesting to see how much access will the North have to the oil fields in the South.

news.sky.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 04:37 AM
link   
Good to see our VAT rise to 20% is being spent well. (sarcasm)
We need to look after our own before giving this amount of money to other countrys. Theres soldiers without homes, these people have fought for our country and goverment are treating them like #.

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 04:48 AM
link   
Good old government - massive debt, people being made redundant, taxes increase and people in the UK suffering generally - as above poster mentioned soldiers without homes, some have lost limbs and get a pittance yet here's another wedge of money just given away?!?

Why can they get away with this? That money should be spent in this country, before we bail out others. I understand the hardship Sudanese people are in, but if we thought like this there are countless places inthe world the same - where does it end?

It's about time the govt put the people in this country first.
Did you also know that in the radical cuts they have made, one of the very few departments to get an increase in spending is foreign aid!!!

The govt are unbelievable how they operate - priorities are all wrong. Yet what can we do - every party is the same and spout blatant lies to get into power then do as they please.
I distinctly recall them saying no vat increase, student costs wouldn't increase, then get elected and do what you please.
Will add more later as am on my phone at moment so can't really get links etc...

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 05:03 AM
link   
In the scheme of things i.e. the national debt £40m is a pittance. I am more interested in the hidden agenda. Is it to gain influence in what is a volatile region? Is it contracts as a previous poster pointed out? Will me ever know the truth?
edit on 7-1-2011 by tiger5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 05:26 AM
link   
reply to post by facchino

Dear Facchino,
Let me state first I live in the UK and am as peeved with you with the current government as much as the next man.
I did however want to ask, are you surprised by this seriously?

Since oil is going to become in shorter and shorter supply, the UK like all other countries needs to start assuring it's limited supplies. You could argue, if you wanted to, that in fact they are doing this for the UK in the long term. Not sure if i'd want to argue that, but it's a valid point I guess.

I am not surprised anymore, just as despondent, but when it comes to how the UK is run.. it's a pointless exercise.

All the best in this horrible financial climate,
T

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 05:32 AM
link   
And just how is the UK meant to be able to afford to spare £40m with the economic state we're in right now?!
as nice as the idea is we better sort ourselves and our ridiculous 'yoof culture' and higher education issues, amongst many other problems, before flinging money we don't have left and right

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 05:47 AM
link   
I'm not against the idea of Foreign aid in principle. The problem is that the money very rarely get's to the people who need it and normally gets used to prop up Governments that we are backing and have some vested interests in. Should we be supplying aid to India and Pakistan, both have nuclear weapons and India has a space program. Makes us look a bit silly really.

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 05:52 AM
link   
reply to post by forklift

Its nice to see mankind helping mankind out

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 05:54 AM
link   
Charity is all very well and good, usually i am all for it but with the state of Great Britain the government should remember that Charity Begins At Home.

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 06:10 AM
link   
You guys still don't understand do you?

This £40 million isn't charity, it's to secure oil contracts in Southern Sudan in order to meet Britain's ever increasing fuel demand.

Have you guys already forgotten why Scotland released Al-Meghari accused of Lockerbie bombings?

Africans have guns and tanks to kill each other but they don't have water to drink or food to eat.Have you ever wondered whose supplying weapons and aid and whose pockets do they end up in?

The poor are kept poor in order to fully exploit them and their resources.

The bankers caused the recession and us tax payers bailed them out and now we have to face higher taxes and cuts in order to fix bankers planned 'mistakes'? While the bankers/capitalists enjoy their bonuses and muti-million/billion profits?

There's a very ugly side to capitalism which also controls the governments and it's time that everyone understood that.

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 06:15 AM
link   

Starred

"There's a very ugly side to capitalism which also controls the governments and it's time that everyone understood that. "

Yes hence there is no need to invoke mythical beast such as the Zionists, the NWO , Illuminati, or the Lizards! Capitalism do have a dirty side as there is greed beyond belief. On the upside there is also philanthropy.

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 06:33 AM
link   

whats happened to the aid package for Haiti????

I thought the Brits were going broke and there was no money in the kitty to support carers and the elderly

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 03:07 PM
link   
reply to post by torqpoc

Hi Torqpoc

In all honesty - no I was not surprised to read it - but like you it riles me immensely that this kind of thing keeps happening.

Someone rightly mentioned that the 40M is not a massive percentage of the current debt nor is it enough to pay for large projects that were planned, but it is not a trivial amount, when you consider it could pay for any of the following over the next year:
1720 Police Officers
2421 Nurses
1418 Fireman
1667 Teachers

It is a sense of despondency that effectively the voting process, and so called democracy, is a complete waste of time. Either labour or Tories get in, they used to stand for different things but the lines are very blurred now and its hard to see where one ends and another starts.
Yet for all the problems and people moaning, no one ever votes for another party, where there are some available, no idea why but I cant see it ever ever changing in the UK - the 2 party system is so ingrained into peoples mindsets there is no way out of it.
Just seems that one gets in, spends 10-12 years in power, then people become fed up with that party and round we go again to the other "side" for a decade.

So depressing

Good luck to you also - The fuel prices over here are the biggest killer. I had to swap to a diesel car because I literally could no longer afford to run the petrol car I had, and now its gone up another 5/6pence a litre. Last time i filled up it cost me £89. I can see it hitting £100 before the year is out. Yet I can recall having the exact same type of car about 5 years ago and it cost me £65 to fill it - a big big difference.
edit on 7-1-2011 by facchino because: added last few lines.

top topics

join