It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Head to the hills.......... what?

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 02:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Kayzar

You misunderstand... I literally live on top of a mountain.
I did not mean we "own" the mountains! I meant those of us who live on them and own acreage there.

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 02:41 PM
link   
For all survivalists...I strongly reccomend you watch this film...
www.imdb.com...

Forget about survival, evacuation is the only answer.

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 02:43 PM
link   
You just gave a whole new meaning to "Hillbilly"

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 02:44 PM
link   
reply to post by xX aFTeRm4Th Xx

You were boasting about your guns,training and skills.
I was letting you know that some of us grandmas' can
shoot too.
I know one lady in her 80's that has had a few articles
written in the paper about her shooting skills.Some"rambo"
type that tries to bully an old lady just might get his head
blown off by that sweet, old lady.

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 02:45 PM
link   
reply to post by SeenMyShare

And remember, when SHTF, "owning acreage" is part of that S.

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Given the choice between city folk and country folk, I'll take the city folk. My experiences in rural areas have been peppered with encounters with xenophobic and 'protective' people with guns, and they know how to use them. People who have been lifelong rural residents often have little experience with the diversity of people you get in the city. Not unreasonably, they are more suspicious of strangers because they have little experience 'reading them.
City people are relatively flexible, having lived immersed in an ever-shifting community of friends, neighbors, co-workers, etc. Rural people often have had lifelong friendships with those they grew up with - and relatively no experience with newcomers.
Ask anyone who has moved to a small town, they'll tell you - you can live there 10 years and you are still a 'newcomer' and not really part of the community!

Now imagine: your little hamlet where everyone has known each other all their lives is suddenly overrun by city folks of every stripe imaginable. And they're hungry and scared. You don't know if they're lawyers or criminals (sorry for being redundant there). You might not be very welcoming!

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 02:57 PM
link   

I think if shtf, the best thing to do would stay home where you have shelter and supplies. It would be stupid to go somewhere where you are out of the open with nothing but a few things on your back. After things die down, then worry about finding shelter elsewhere.

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by innervision0730

I think if shtf, the best thing to do would stay home where you have shelter and supplies. It would be stupid to go somewhere where you are out of the open with nothing but a few things on your back. After things die down, then worry about finding shelter elsewhere.

That would depend on what kind of S hits the fan and how far it's flung!

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 03:15 PM
link   
I think all the people that keep saying they are going to open their doors to complete strangers come SHTF haven't had to interact with large groups of people in very adverse circumstances. I got wiped out in Hurricane Rita it took us 19 hours to make it 120 miles due to Houston stupidly evacuating and putting around 4.8 million people on the road. While sitting for hours in traffic some # bag that tried to rob me but got smacked in the face by my good friend Springfield.

I'll keep this very long story short. We ended up staying in San Augustine Texas the night preceding Rita and the day following. At the time the town had a population of 1700 or so people, by morning it was around 38,000 people.. Skipping ahead a bit people were robbing the Dollar General store in broad daylight this is after the town took a direct hit by Rita. I ended up becoming a Deputy Sheriff for 19 hours or so until we left. They were very grateful and informed me I was the ONLY evacuee to actually do anything.

There were multiple attempts to rob people that only had their vehicles by people in RV's and 5 th wheel trailers, plus people stranded in other area's looking for whatever. I'll cut that off there but I can understand land owners will defend their area, #ty people get #tier when SHTF, "good" people can get dangerously close to #ty or just utterly worthless. If I was a land owner I might let people in or pass through if they meet my expectations, if they don't then it'll be a bad day for them. Also for the people who think wearing cammo is a bad idea it's not, people will avoid you like the plague.
edit on 7-1-2011 by Silverado292 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 03:20 PM
link   
When I said play fallout, I ment play it and you will see the mechanics of what it will be like. minus the mutants and senseless killing. Sure there will be those that gang together and kill for fun, I'll be the one holding up on a farm with like minded people/family that will be working towards a future without oil and gas. I think the situation could be kinda like the tv show jericho. Communities banding together with hunters/gatherers/growers. thats the basis to survival. The lonely one or two person family going it alone will die off very quickly and then probably a cold winter will kill off millions if not billions of city dwellers without the room or knowledge to store foods properly for winter. did you know that potatoes will go bad by march. so that will leave 5-6 months without potatoes till the next crop comes in. most people will just die. Food will be the new currency! PERIOD!

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 03:28 PM
link   
reply to post by theclutch

You failed to add the people who don't know how to grow or gather or anything for that matter.
These are the takers that only know how to consume and have watched enough T.V. that they know how to kill.
Have fun everyone.

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 03:30 PM
link   
This is an interesting thread. As a college student, I don't really "live" anywhere. I'm constantly going between my parents' home (in the 'burbs) and college (small town/city surrounded by farmland).

I think we all need to keep things in perspective. When the SHTF, everyone's going to need help, and many are going to be willing to help out. Depending on causes widespread catastrophe (martial law, WWIII, disease pandemic, giant asteroid/comet, volcanic eruption, ice age, earth frying, mass extinction, failure of all electronics, worldwide riots, robot revolution, zombie apocalypse, etc.) survival plans will vary dramatically. Defending your ranch in the country won't do much good if it's covered by a glacier, and staying in the city won't be the best idea if we end up in the middle of global thermonuclear war.

With the exception of a pandemic, working together with the people around you is going to be the best bet for survival. Sure, you can isolate yourself from others in a bunker or on a farm. You can defend yourself with all manner of weapons. But what happens if you run out of food, or need medical help, or hundreds, even thousands, of people storm your property with weapons of their own?

It would be arrogant of most, if not all, of us to assume that we could survive alone when TSHTF. Only a very small handful of people could survive isolated and without help, and I can't imagine it would be a very happy existence. I, for one, know I will need to rely on others. I have Type I Diabetes, and without insulin, I'll die in a matter of weeks. Assuming that there's a global catastrophe, I probably won't survive more than a few months, maybe a year or two, but that doesn't mean I'm going to give up and die.

I'll be fighting for my survival, just like I'll be fighting for the survival of others. Anyone who's not willing to help others, particularly in a time of great need and suffering, God help their soul (and I mean that in the most sincere and multitheistic way possible).

Isolating yourself from those in need is exactly what TPTB plan to do. It means you're lowering yourself to their level, and unless you've got an underground fortress with armed guards ready to die serving you, it probably won't work too well.

Just my 2 cents.

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 03:33 PM
link   
I haven't posted here in awhile due to being busy with family over the holidays leaving me little time for the 'net.

This thread, though, is leaving me with somewhat of a sense of sadness. Sadness over the fact that there are those who would assume that someone else's land would be considered 'fair game' to some to do as they please. Sadness, also, though that others would turn away those in need. Particularly though? Sadness that there seems to be an overwhelming opinion that 'city folk' could possibly have nothing to offer.

Some of us do, or are more than willing to learn. Just because I was raised and have largely lived in cities, doesn't mean I don't know how to ammend an organic vegetable plot, or muck out a stall, or groom and care for a horse. Being 'city folk' doesn't mean that I don't have enough knowledge and education to teach fundemental reading, writing, arithmetic and history to children, even though I may not have an educator's degree. Being city folk doesn't mean I don't know how to ply needle and thread or use a sewing machine allowing me to make and mend garments.

There are those of us out here who may have knowledge and practical skills that would not make us citified 'burdens', but are in a situation of feeling (and being) trapped. Unfortunatly I am stuck in a place (with a home that needs selling) where everyone around me still believes that everything is fine. That the left-right paradigm is going to magically fix everything. The problem is, being a middle aged single woman, I simply can't even begin to visualize a way in which I could make it somewhere 'safe', on my own, if the SHTF. .

Ultimately? I don't know what will happen, other than I have faith that somehow, some way, I'll end up being in the right place at the right time. What else can I do?

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nebulous1973

If the tshtf..you no longer have a right to property..land is quadrant now because we have a structured society..when that is gone every human will have a right to survive on the land..it won't be your land to tell them they can't.earth is not yours.rent? lol..pay rent to whom? You are not the law of the land..and we people respect the law of the land now because it is law in a society..lets see what happens to you when you try telling someone they don't have the right to survive on land that isn't occupied by anyone..when society collapses there will be no rules..especially not your rules.you are the exact type of person who will wind up dead and thrown in a hole while others take your land.why? because you'll be mr.tough guy and try telling people what to do and what they can't..honestly..if i had to relocate to the woods and you came running over yelling how I have no right..I will shoot you in the face and take what you have just in spite of your arrogance..good luck after tshtf.

Good luck with that starvation thing when you ruin the land for crops and you've killed all the people who could have taught you because "they tried to tell me what to do".

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 03:44 PM
link   
reply to post by mamabeth

You're missing my point.... I'm not trying to boast at all! simply defending myself from previous allegations.

My entire point across the several posts that I have tried to convey in this thread is that we are all on the same side. If country folk are goign to defend their land from us city slickers then there are going to be BIG problems. Thats my point, and that is really all! Nobody really owns any given piece of land, especially in this scenario. Not trying to bully any old ladies... but if somebody is trying to keep me from getting away from TPTB by defending "their" land with firepower thats when I have problems.

Also, not saying that a well aimed bullet can't take out somebody with combat training as well b/c I certainly know how that goes. No matter who the shooter or caliber of gun, a bullet to the head is just as effective on anybody.
edit on 7-1-2011 by xX aFTeRm4Th Xx because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by xX aFTeRm4Th Xx

I understand now

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 03:56 PM
link   
Interesting comments here. I've been around the block a few times.
I personally know people that by their own admission, are predators.THAT means they will take from the weak as a means of survival.Period.They could care less about YOUR soul after THEIR dead.They don't care.
They will also go to Churches to rob them of their food,because they know,food has been stored to "await" end of times. It's actually on some Bad peoples adgenda. Go ROB the Church people. Grab one of the kids..theaten to kill them...get the food bank. I'm not saying anymore about those people.They're THAT bad.
I know people that have NO INTENTION of letting people migrate into their area of the State. Retired Law Enforcement,what have you. They don't like BAD people and don't want to share with BAD people.
They'll give you the shirt off their back..until you try and TAKE something from them.
They're prepared to blow your head off.
Literally.
Not my rules... I'm just a nice middle aged guy trying to protect and teach my family to EARN. For themselves.(And pay the FEDs and State a little)
My kids get it. We want from no one, we don't want to interface with bad elements. Business is Business.Family is Family.
First YOU eat..then help everyone.
I see how well that's working in Haiti.
And how well it worked in New Orleans.
Predators coming out of the woodwork everytime.
When we use the words SHTF..HOW bad we talking?
Don't wanna know.
Again...

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 03:59 PM
link   
I don't think it will matter. If you are not displaced you will be destroyed. You think they don't think of these things? I wouldn't be surprised if they want or are planning on having everyone split up. The ones that stay will be to few in number and will be easily suppressed or destroyed. Those that flee will gather in places that cant support them, be raided, and slaughtered or whatever. Anyone else will be so scattered it will be a joke. How does a population of x million get utterly crushed by a military force of less than (insert whatever number = 10x less than x)? Simple. They scatter, panic, and destroy themselves.

You cant hide (unless you live completely off the "grid"). The BEST thing that could be done would be to create cohesive strongholds of people by making accommodations for many people in a local area that can support each other.

Your mountains and farms are nothing if you only have a few souls defending it. Your not invincible no matter how bad ass you are.

Just my 2¢ on why TPTB keep chugging on in the face of defeats and fumbling...when the real deal goes down it will be easy...whether it be by invasion, indoctrination, or a combination of both. Most will give up or give in. Those left will die alone or in small groups.

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by xX aFTeRm4Th Xx
Not trying to bully any old ladies...
edit on 7-1-2011 by xX aFTeRm4Th Xx because: (no reason given)

HEHE! Made me chuckle!

I have a close friend who lives in California right now. She lives in an upscale neighborhood and she and her neighbor have a large garden they both share on their property lines. LAST YEAR they started noticing that veggies were ebing harvested in the night time. The husband stayed up and caught people going into the garden and stealing their food they had been growing themselves.

Can any of you imagine how it will be if there is a natural disaster or something concerning TPTB?? You have more to fear than your govt... you have to fear your fellow americans because being civilized and having humanity has disappeared. There are a lot more people than there are bullets. You all.. and I... best try to realize the true matters here that you will be dealing with rather than this silly childish city folks verses country folks. It will be the civilized versus the uncivilized. With all of the coverage of disasters and even Katrina it seems very few have learned anything from it and will continue to make the same mistakes because some survivalist somewhere posted or wrote his OPINION without ever having experienced a true crisis situation.

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 04:01 PM
link   

I hate to have nothing positive to say, but this thread is lame.

People that think like you are the problem in the first place

Sigh..

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join