It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Head to the hills.......... what?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 05:15 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 05:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by SeenMyShare
reply to post by Nephi1337

The whole point is .............
How many times have you seen "I live in the city, I'll bug out to the hills!"? In most cases those hills are already occupied with people who've been there for generations. Some people already have prepared bug out locations but many who post to this forum have made no plans, they just plan to "go". Go where is my question. Why not prepare a BOL ahead of time rather than assume its their right to go anywhere they want and park themselves?

My title is appropriate. People need to put as much time and effort into their BOL now as they do into their BOV's and their BOB's.

bro i see where your coming from .trust me i do ..simply put not all people have the money or resources to be lucky enough as you are ,i my self was one of them people , i had to save ,learn, hope ,pray that i would be able to get where you are , also i had to sit and think ,hummm what am i going to tell my wife , she might think i am a tottle ding bat , i have been in them postions before , and their are plenty of people out their ,praying as i was and hopeing they will find a way or a good plan to save their family , just imagin how many young kids that visit ats are sitting in their rooms trying to figure out ho they can tell their parents without looking like a nut case to them . .. all i am saying is that not everyone is so fortunate my brother ..

pardon the spelling ,....

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 05:16 AM
link   
reply to post by SeenMyShare

I am preparing a little at a time. Money is a big factor for most people. My power bill was $400 and i conserve. At first my gf was giving me crap about stocking up on food. I think that she started thinking about it and now she doesn't say anything. Her mom just bought 10 acres in the boonies and this is where I would go.

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 05:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Nephi1337

First off... I've said in about two or three posts now I'm FEMALE!

Second, I'm not well off, but willing to work my fingers to the bone for what's important. You don't need to buy or rent if you work out an agreement with others in different locations ahead of time and be prepared to share what you have with them and them with you depending on the situation and location. All I'm saying is make your plans before you need them.

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 05:27 AM
link   
People always prove they are shallow thinkers. This is one of those things people are thinking shallow on. Lets say shtf happens and you live in a city. Man you would be way ahead of the country folk, you would have 10 times the recources to stay alive than country folk for a short limited time. IF you think that you will be driving to the country,forget it for you will notice on the roads they have devises to literally turn your car off, so roads will be blocked. If you have onstar i am laughing at you.
The poster raises a good point about your perception that you will just drive to the country, they will welcome you with open arms, feed and shelter you. HOW IGNORANT! You might think that you will just go camp out in the woods somewhere and harvest game, grow foods and live like adam and eve. HOW IGNORANT!
Now i live in the country and was raised on a farm, i am hunter and fisherman, I would have problems surviving, but i would survive. You would perish without a dought. Living a country life is not like turning on a tv, it takes years experience, lots of handed down information from gramps and grandma, and lots of practice.
Now lets look at the welcoming you to our country with open arms . In our view, you city people brought the shtf on to us all, you live appart from nature,you waste and pollute 10 times the ammount we do, you were sheep following the nwo . The cristians you laugh about, and made fun of will welcome you. THEY will be 1 in MILLION. The rest of the country folk [Will blow your heads off on sight]. You would think there is woods or open land you could camp or squat on that is not already somebodies hunting or fishing grounds left, WRONG! Somebody will already will be there!!!!!
Now in the country we will have our own little local wars going on. FOR 1 THING we have locally born people and people who moved from the city, Now the locally born people will do their best to get rid of the non-locally born people. They sure will not let you come to the country to steal their recources, THE HARSH NATURAL WORLD IS SURVIVAL OF THE FITTEST. This is how it will be since we have turned our backs on christian and human values long time ago.This is still the principal being used in the modern world today
My advise to all city people is stay there.The country folk who pulls guts out of deer, cattle or their chickens,will not hesatate to pull your guts out.Our trappers will skin you like a fox, Our hunters will shoot from their stands, our farmers will plow you under . OUR ROADS WILL BE WATCHED our bridges will be blocked. We have the experience already.
When-if shtf happens i will have my own struggle between my christian values and my animal values. I pray i do the right thing. People in cities will be eating people. DID nobody learn anything from katrina??? THE PEOPLE will turn into animals in just a short time, as they have always done in the past.

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 05:29 AM
link   
reply to post by liejunkie01

Now that's a plan. Stock up on seed and gardening implements (pretty cheap for all) and be prepared to work the dirt. Get to know the neighbors, find out who grows what, find out who has cows, chickens, etc. and be prepared to trade veggies for a gallon of milk and some eggs or if you're lucky a chicken for the pot. Don't forget your skills. You could trade those for supplies and food as well.

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 05:40 AM
link   
reply to post by itsawild1

HOW IGNORANT!
You have a pretty low opinion of us "townies" itsawild1, You have to remember we townies migrated from the country over the years and have diversified into townie/country folk, IMO a hybrid of sorts matey, And the majority of use still have are country cousins to fall back on in extreme times, I am not naive enough to think i can just strool onto someone's land and pilfer there wears,

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 07:10 AM
link   
reply to post by itsawild1

The true reality of a hungry belly is something that has rarely been experienced
by the privileged people who live in the western world and yes! given certain circumstances,
a person will do what they need to do when faced with no other choice...

Under the stark reality of no other choice …everyone is as capable of the most hideous of crimes
Make no bones about it a mother/father will kill to protect and save their own child.
and yes when it comes to self preservation even a saint can turn into an unholy monster.

this is the ugly truth of the matter the true reality of the shtf....

itsawild1... seenmyshare and the others here ......thank you all for being honest

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 07:41 AM
link   
Regardless of who owns title to the places where people will retreat to when the SHTF, it will belong to whoever can defend it successfully from others.
A banknote or deed will be useful for tinder, that's about all.
If your land looks that desirable to others you might be wise to move on yourself.
In the end, it will be those with the largest, best armed groups that decide who stays where.
Or you can learn to make yourself invisible and go where you want

Bottom line is that if you have a place be prepared to defend it. Join with your neighbors for your common defense.
A community of 100 can easily be taken down by a gang of 20 simply because they act in concert. Land owners will need to do the same.

Those who do not own land need to learn camouflage and stalking techniques to avoid detection.
You may be fortunate enough to find someone like Seenmyshare who will be willing to help you if you have valuable skills or assets.

As for me I'm too old and broke down to give a #.
I'm going to go down hunting all the fascists and thugs I can find,

edit on 7-1-2011 by Asktheanimals because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 07:45 AM
link   
You don't have to worry about me infringing on your hills. I will be right here waiting for the alien spaceship to come and pick me up. I will be mooning the moon while waiting. They can't miss me.

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 08:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Asktheanimals

I'm not that easy to get to, and its not all that desirable if one hasn't got the will to get up at four in the morning on a 10 degree day, stoke the stove, put on coffee, and go out and feed all the animals, break and dump the ice and carry them gallons and gallons of fresh water, clean their bedding (remove the wet and dirty and put down new), gather eggs, wash the eggs, and all that before their own breakfast. After breakfast you go back out and split and stack wood, cut it if need be, rotate the old forward and the new to the back, move some to the porch for easy access to feed the stove. BTW cutting wood to heat/cook/boil water with will be done with hand saws (one man or two man if you're lucky). I remember when I was 20 I cut all my wood with a bow saw for the entire winter... no easy feat but necessary! Split it with a hatchet and a hammer because I had no maul or wedge.

Then, some of us lucky gals get to mix up a batch of dough, let it rise, punch it down and let it rise again, punch it down, place it in tins and let it rise and bake it. Some of us lucky gals then get to wash the laundry and hang it out on clotheslines in that same 10 degree weather and hope it freeze dries before dark (helps if the wind is blowing but then windchill factors make it colder to hang wet laundry). If its not dry before dark we get to go back out, take it down, bring it in and hang it on racks by the wood stove so it'll dry by morning when we can fold it and put it away after the animals are cared for.

There's much more to a "simplified" life but you get the idea. Living without luxuries in the country is not an easy life and it would be much, much worse without some modern conveniences. Try going to the outhouse at night in the bitter cold of winter carrying a hurricane lamp. Try it without the blessing of an outhouse in good old mother nature's territory with the wind blowing where the sun doesn't shine! Try doing it for a week, a month, a year.

In the summer you can add gardening tasks to the above, and in the fall - harvesting and putting of of the harvest.
Then there's the carrying of water for the house in addition to the animals. Heating water on a woodstove to clean, cook, bathe etc. Sounds romantic to a lot of people but its no fun when you live that way day in and day out.

Its time to really take the "romantic" out of bugging out.

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Amen.
2nd.

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 10:27 AM
link   
Glock?
Was thinking of Dragunov personally,from 2K!

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 10:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Dachende

That is why you and yours won't last long. Sad but true. Everyone migrating WILL NOT share your outlook.

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 10:55 AM
link   

If the tshtf..you no longer have a right to property..land is quadrant now because we have a structured society..when that is gone every human will have a right to survive on the land..it won't be your land to tell them they can't.earth is not yours.rent? lol..pay rent to whom? You are not the law of the land..and we people respect the law of the land now because it is law in a society..lets see what happens to you when you try telling someone they don't have the right to survive on land that isn't occupied by anyone..when society collapses there will be no rules..especially not your rules.you are the exact type of person who will wind up dead and thrown in a hole while others take your land.why? because you'll be mr.tough guy and try telling people what to do and what they can't..honestly..if i had to relocate to the woods and you came running over yelling how I have no right..I will shoot you in the face and take what you have just in spite of your arrogance..good luck after tshtf.

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 10:57 AM
link   
reply to post by liejunkie01

Yes you can. The question is..... Have you done it? Did it work properly?
Watching a You tube video on how to do it is way different than actually doing it.

I know a guy here near me who studied video's and books on using a bow drill to start fires and now he is an expert. when we were camping and he tried to use the knowledge he couldn't get a fire started in 1.5 hours and he gave up. I am not saying you can't build one, I am just saying till you actually do and it works then the skill is non-existent really. I know basically how to do surgery but am not sure you would want me operating on you.

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 10:58 AM
link   
I am just sitting here dumbstruck by something that just dawned on me. The level of miscalculation the size of a D9 dozer in a china shop.

Way beyond the one on one conflict.

The city people are use to living next door to other people their entire life and never personally knowing them.

They do not comprehend the level of inter-reliance and bonds that tie country populations together.

In the country, you know your neighbors. I mean you KNOW your neighbors.

I have lived in this area my ENTIRE life. Over 30 years to be exact. My family has lived in this area for over 100 years. My neighbors have know me since I was born. My dad has known them since they was born. I have grown up with them, I have went to school with them. We have hunted together. I am welcome at their house any time of day, they are welcome at mine. We work with each other on a daily basses. They lend me a favor, I do the same……

To say that I would trust them with my life, is an understatement. To say that they would trust me with their life is a proven fact. They have done so in times past. All my neighbors are armed, Some are heavily armed.

If Someone attacked me, and my neighbors become aware of it, the people attacking would be getting fire from three sides , not including my own fire.

Heck, when I killed a couple big snakes at my uncles place across the creek there was more than 15 people over there prodding and looking at it in less than 20 minutes. If someone was shooting at me in my house, I would hate to think of the response that would come to greet them. Everyone within a half mile would be converging on the place with guns and ammo.

And even if they did manage to kill me and get in the house, do you honestly think for a minute, that the neighbors would just sit back and let them go about their business from that point on. You would have to be smoking something really good to think that.

They could never step out of the house again. If they did, there would probably be 20 or 30 people with rifles lined up ready for a kill shot. Yes, I know over 20 people that would be waiting with batted breath to kill someone, or something that hurt or killed me. That isn’t something that I even have to think about, it is a fact of life.

They may take the land, but that is the last thing they will ever do.

Same thing for someone messing with my neighbors. You better expect a 308 round headed straight at you if you show any force against them. If I wake up the next day and I find out that someone has hurt or killed any of them and moved into their house. And I will find out…….. I have a good sniping position and I won’t eat, or sleep until I put the kill shot on them.

So, for people that think like that, don’t even think about coming around here and trying that. Reality check. You will not survive the experience.

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 11:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by SeenMyShare
I posted this comment in another thread but this is worthy of its own thread.

I see a recurring theme over and over here on ATS, and that's the number of people who will "head to the hills". I can tell you that if that is your plan you best be getting your destination location pinpointed and arranging for rent or purchase and shelter now. If the SHTF many of us already in the country/hills/boonies will not take kindly to a bunch of city folk pouring in and squatting on our farmlands, in our woods, and on our mountains acting as if they have the right to be there..

Ha Hahaha Ha Hahaha.... Your land?!?!

Right!?!? I live in the city and I can guarantee that I have more guns, training and skills than most country folk, if I'm running from the gov't for some reason b/c of revolution or whatnot and somebody has an attitude such as this im gonna put 1 in their head and 2 in the chest!

Greed like this is EXACTLY what is causing this world to spin out of control!

But I get the point! Yes you must have a plan and should obviously have a definite location that you would hide out if SHTF.

Just remember the 6 p's
Prior planning prevents piss poor performance!
edit on 7-1-2011 by xX aFTeRm4Th Xx because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 11:06 AM
link   
Let me get this straight. A bunch of duck hunting hillbillies are going to stop millions of gun toting, desperate, city folks? You guys might make good hunters, and I'm sure you have the balls to shoot someone in self defense, but we city folk, kill for fun!

edit on 7-1-2011 by Visitor2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 11:07 AM
link   
I agree 100% with the OP!

We here in the country WILL NOT welcome outsiders. I am fully prepared!
- Lots of Food
- TONS of water
- Aprx. 1000 gallons of gasoline in air tight containers.
- Lots of guns.
- Crates of ammunition!
- Nightvision
- Boxes of Batteries
- Solar generator.
- Wood
- A bug out plan that my wife and all family and friends know. (Where to meet ETC.)
- Misc stuff! :-D
- Med kits
- Rope
- Wire
- Barbed Wire
- Bricks
- And much, MUCH more!

Care to compare? Hehehe...

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join