It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Head to the hills.......... what?

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 10:22 PM
link   
reply to post by SeenMyShare

what happened to love thy naibors dam?? what woods u from buddy so can stay away for their lol.ur joke!!

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 10:22 PM
link   
I really hope the dummies (not all are dumb) living in rural areas are not the ones to survive after SHTF, I foresee a future not too much unlike the one in the movie "Idiocracy", minus the technology. Thats scary.

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 10:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by area6
In a serious SHTF scenario, there will eventually be tribes of marauders. Hundreds, even thousands of armed fighters taking what they want by force. And there will be those working and sweating on their land to provide for their families and all of it can be taken away in a heartbeat no matter how prepared they are.

All you have to do is look at history or go to Africa or Afghanistan to see how people protect their land.

They don't. They can't.

that is why people will have to group together instead of every man for himself. At least in my humble opinion get the hell out of dodge then start networking....the saying "strength in numbers" is true for a reason.
Look people the bottom fell out of Russia and they didnt kill each other,they didnt run to the hills. so there is a good no $hit example of how their environment didnt completely fall apart. A bunch of apocolyptic movies get made and the first thing that happens is all the men start aligning themselves with the charactors.I bet you the OP god bless him has a big fat Rambo knife and a .45 and an AR and he only plays with his toys when the wife is gone. Thats called Role playing and other things. Fact is nobody knows what they will do till they have to react to what ever. Every Soldier can tell you things never go as planned. NEVER!!! so live like there is a tomorrow and plan on interuptions from time to time...Instinct will prevail....and might as well get used to the thought of dying cause we all do at some point

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 10:31 PM
link   
Unfortunately, if the govt. has it's way, from their point of view, the BLEEP that will hit the fan hardest are city slickers, because they will have easy unrestrained access to them, my condolences in advance.

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 10:36 PM
link   
reply to post by bigrex

there are ways to flush out country folks to lol, you will just have a head start on the city people!

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 10:39 PM
link   

I may be a jerk but I will trust no man in a WROL situation. For example, you turn you back and BAM they have all you had and you daughters at their disposal. Hunger will make people do ugly things and people have had enough time to prepare. So if someone was unprepared they will suffer their own demise (not mine). If you have nothing to offer then goodbye without a second thought. The time for mooching will be over! Mr jihad with his bible and camo jacket dose not understand reality. All joking aside, I understand what he wants and I think that is for people to help each-other in the time of crises. I think that is only wishful thinking tho. I have to totally agree with the post that I will not put my family at risk too feed anyone, no offense.

Someone may post security is in numbers. Well to answer that. My brothers and sisters families will be united (also close friends of family). Not to mention the boobie-traps that work 24 hours a day.

I am glad you brought up this even knowing it will hurt some peoples feelings but time to be grownups.

edit on 7-1-2011 by blangger because: typo

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 10:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by oswego
reply to post by bigrex

there are ways to flush out country folks to lol, you will just have a head start on the city people!

Sure there are I agree, but when there are less of us and we are harder to get at, why should they bother with us first off when they have all of the city folk to deal with and maraud

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 11:03 PM
link   
For the simple minded among us I will do the math here. Lets say you live in a city of 20k, not a huge city by todays standards is it. One shot per person 20k worth of bullets. Even if you are packing a .22 cal gun thats a lot of bullets to have on hand to eliminate and secure your place among people. Would never happen not even if you had a kill ratio of half that. Killing is gonna get you no where and like many posters said before so what if you own property in the hills, your as good as dead unless you have the manpower to back it up. And to the posters even considering killing women and children, your just sick I'd rather be dead, and as much trouble I have putting my faith in any God these days I'd rather my children say he never fired back. Because I'd rather be dead if it came to that. But I have a well rounded set of skills that I could live without to much hardship given a lack of killing helpless people and children, I hope to God I am never in that situation in life. As I will surly take the bullet over resistance.

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 11:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dachende

It is this moronic type of thinking that will probably get us into trouble in the first place.

I know for sure, I'll be opening my doors when TSHTF to anyone who needs it.

And while I tip ny hat to good people like you... you will also be the first to be taken advantage of, robbed and kicked out of your own home at a time when it could mean life and death... survival in numbers is only an advantage when you can trust those you are surviving with. If the SHTF even those closest to you will likely put their survival before yours - so what will strangers do?
edit on 7-1-2011 by byteshertz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 11:10 PM
link   

im glad you saw humor in my post, cuz ats didnt. I understand where your coming from and of coarse you wouldnt just let loads of people mooch off you, but a little hostility goes a long way

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 11:11 PM
link   
It is that kind of thinking that irks me.... You mean to tell me you would not help someone in need. Smite them because they were to ignorant to think that a SHTF type scenario would not occur. You and I my freind are lucky as to we have an"out of box" type thinking, in reality tho we are the minority. So then what? You seclude yourself from the outside world. Not have a clue on whats goin on? Keep the hillbilly revivalist movement goin. Not evolve, again. Some of the best information you could get would be from passer bys and travelers not lookin to squat "your " land or "your " hills but just to get away from what ever retardedness that is goin on for them to get away from in the first place. So they are hungry scared and confused and here comes Cletus with his shotgun doin a whole world of good. Ats=deny ignorance. If the SHTF me and my fam will be doin just fine and after we are situated and doin ok we would never turn anyone away that needed our help. IT IS THAT KINDA SELFISH THINKING THAT PROB PERPETUATED THE SHTF INCIDENT TO BEGIN WITH..... WTFU OR STFU.

Also..no I will not get robbed and taken and advantage of....trust me.

Maybe some of us thought this thru but a slight bit differently then the op... Maybe some of us have some plan of continuity for SHTF type things that includes how to deal with the ignorant. Just cuz they bought B-mers instead of ammo doesnt mean they should suffer.
edit on 7-1-2011 by BlastedCaddy because: had more to say...

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 11:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by mike184ever

that is why people will have to group together instead of every man for himself. At least in my humble opinion get the hell out of dodge then start networking....the saying "strength in numbers" is true for a reason.
Look people the bottom fell out of Russia and they didnt kill each other,they didnt run to the hills. so there is a good no $hit example of how their environment didnt completely fall apart. A bunch of apocolyptic movies get made and the first thing that happens is all the men start aligning themselves with the charactors.I bet you the OP god bless him has a big fat Rambo knife and a .45 and an AR and he only plays with his toys when the wife is gone. Thats called Role playing and other things. Fact is nobody knows what they will do till they have to react to what ever. Every Soldier can tell you things never go as planned. NEVER!!! so live like there is a tomorrow and plan on interuptions from time to time...Instinct will prevail....and might as well get used to the thought of dying cause we all do at some point

I think you have the best view of it. People think collapse will be swift-It probably won't be if it's man-made. And if the "elite" do run things, I don't see the usefulness of allowing complete and utter collapse in the space of a year or so. You couldn't control it. They want control.

I think people are throwing the baby out with the bathwater. The third world may see Mad-Max, but the western world probably won't. TPTB are too vested in technology and people who make it to allow complete collapse.

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 11:17 PM
link   
Depends on what hills.

I am going further into the big empty.(great basin desert) there are pockets of land that have water and good soil for crops but you have to know where they are at. And you will have to have found them beforehand.

The very last place the city folk will think of going is into the desert.

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 11:28 PM
link   
It's quite upsetting that a vast majority of contributors have not even attempted to read what has been posted in here. It is all reactionary to the opening post, and then jumping to conclusions that the OP is a heartless person. What she is trying to convey to the readers is that bugging out to the hills should be planned for. Granted it is impossible to prepare for a "omgwtfpwnd" situation, because the majority if not all have led a comfortable life, and only have the television to relate to.

Yes, we are all going to have to work together if we, as a species, are going to continue to populate this earth post-scenario. To think that everyone is going to help each other out though, is foolish. To think that everyone is a special forces commando and will make it, also, has been hanging out in fantasy land for way too long. This thread, in my opinion, is to get people, whether they are urban, or rural, to think outside the box. Also realize that your actions can have a negative impact on others, it doesn't matter what you can bring to the table, or even if you can't contribute. The OP is just stating this. And I don't think it just applies to city-folk. Country-bumkins can also present the same problems to other country folk.

I happen to live in a state that has the least population density in the country, even alaska. 1 person per 5 sq miles. There's also a reason for this. There is no water, there is very little fertile soil. Oh, there's also a super-volcano in the back yard. A fault-line that has been active for many years. So, I can almost guarantee that a good portion of the residents of this state that survive certain scenarios will be leaving this state to find more hospitable regions to reside.

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 11:47 PM
link   
It's been said that we are nine meals away from anarchy.

When the moment does happen, most city folk's minds will wander to fond memories of hanging out around the campfire and thoughts of how nice it was to be eating that stocked trout you caught and have now provided for your own. The reality is that we all can't run off into the hills, the deserts, the sticks, etc. and just live off the fat the land. Mother Nature can not sustain us all, even if we did understand what each specific plant was helpful for and their cycles of potency and use.

The forests on the other hand will be in great danger of massive wild fires. All those campers from the city are not going to know how to crush their coals from that fire they made to further set the mood in those pine beetle killed forests. The country folk on the other hand will be subjected to additional horrors. It will not be like the Little House on the Prairie this time around. Desperate people can smell when somethings cooking on your wood stove. You going to stay in their all day? Perhaps sneak out under the stars for a visit with the privy late at night. Do you think that Mossy oak hunting outfit is going to hide you under night vision goggles under the quiet eye of a mall ninja who's mind has been conditioned through violent video games to take out the bad guy? How much stress can you endure while tending to the crops? Will you become a monster who kills women and children to protect your tomatoes?

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 11:50 PM
link   

That’s fair, I admit I haven't read through all the pages to see all your posts, don't really have the time (though I wish I did). I see now you have clarified to others that you never said you would personally shoot someone, I apologize for making the assumption and any others I may have made.

That’s great you have such a network of reliable friends, seems you are well prepared, I kind of do, my parents have a cottage 45 minutes out of the city and I have a place in Mexico I can go to if I need to escape Canada, other than that I have no where to go but the forest (if cities are unsafe). I suspect many city people are in a similar boat as me, if millions of people have to flee a city its just a fact they have to go somewhere, whoever’s land happens to be in the path of those people is going to be affected in some way, its not like the people want to be there they are going to be forced through dire and intense situations, they will have abandoned their homes and lost everything they've known, if your able to stay at your farm and are able continue to support your family you should feel blessed, even if you do have to deal with the thieves, for most of the people will be on the edge of life and death.

I hope I haven't offended you it was never the intention, I just wanted to make the point of understanding the others and their situation and to help them if at all possible (and if they deserve it, someone who just tried to shoot you doesn't get help).

And yes I agree with you 100%, I suppose I didn't make that clear before, anyone who wants to be taken in must help equally hard with everything they can to their abilities, doing such things as you've said, the only people who'd get to free load off me would be the sick, the injured, young children, old old people and the big belly pregnant.

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 11:52 PM
link   

Haven't read the entire thread yet so I apologize in advance if someone already made this point.
Anyone who lives in a city when the SHTF is going to be stuck in that city. If you think rush hour is bad now imagine it with people who are losing their minds, driving like maniacs and dropping gear off their roof racks.
Add to this the fact that not everyone will be heading in the same direction, if you have kids at school you're going after them before you head out, same for mom, grandma etc. Anyone who makes it out and heads for the hills is either very lucky or very determined.
The smoke from the chimney of your house on the hill will be noticed and people will head your way, they will want what you have and the more you try to protect it the more they will want it. The guy in the dirty suit looks like city folk but he is actually retired special forces, he knows how to attack an elevated position.
I remember December (hey that rhymes) 1999, my brother in law was stockpiling food, water, medicine and anything else you can think of, my wife and I laughed but one morning she asked me if we should consider doing the same. I told her no, because I already knew where to find everything in one spot.

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 12:01 AM
link   
I guess it would all depend on the SHTF situation but I think people will be better off staying where they are at. If you are in a city stay put, their are plenty of resources to be found in the city. Heading off to the country won't do you any good if you don't have somewhere to go. If you don't have survival skills, hunting and gathering will be a real eye opener. If it happens in winter how are you going to get food in the country? The only thing I see happening in the cities would be looting and violence so stay in your homes and be prepared for a long stay in your house. I live in Denver, if the SHTF I am staying put, heading up to the mountains will be my last choice.

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 12:10 AM
link   
What is interesting about this thread is the hardcore attitudes, but normal people without the attitude, will get that attitude when they haven't eaten any solid food for a week. A hungry starving person, once they realize they have nothing to lose will do stuff they would never have down within the context of civilization.
But that's what we are taking about, civilization is gone in this scenario.
People will kill or be killed just to fill there empty stomachs.
My personal belief is what ATS calls the "SHTF" is called by another name within the bible, it's called the "Great Tribulation" said by Jesus to be the worst time in all human history.
edit on 8-1-2011 by Blue_Jay33 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 12:36 AM
link   
reply to post by EVERYONE

I want to thank all of you for sharing your survival plans with us.
Should things go bad, my army of horribly mutated, flesh-eating mutants and I will now have little trouble, and even less resistance during our conquest of your people and annexation of your land.

Seriously though...you're all talking about some worst-case scenario situation...but what worst-case scenario are you even referring to?
Shouldn't game plan solely depend on the game?
What if it's nuclear fallout and crops and fertile land are obliterated?
What if it's disease spread throughout the food chain?
What if all the worlds water suddenly turns to silly putty?
What if it's a true zombie apocalypse?
Not that I doubt the sincerity of any of your posts, but you all seem to have this generic Mad Max post-apocalyptic view of what the world will be like and you seem to be unable to take into consideration that should a devastation of such magnitude occur, you'll very likely just be dead.
I mean...y'know...just sayin'.

new topics

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join