It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newly Developed Cloak Hides Underwater Objects from Sonar

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 03:23 AM
link   
Just came across this on sciencedaily, and thought i would bring it here to be discussed as now there seems that scientists not only know how to create invisibility cloacks but now also cloaks to hide sound. So would i be right in assuming that there is a massive possibility that there are infact vehicles totally invisible to detection and if this is the case why is it so wrong to assume that anything off this planet hasnt the same technology?
Whats your views?

www.sciencedaily.com...

In one University of Illinois lab, invisibility is a matter of now you hear it, now you don't. Led by mechanical science and engineering professor Nicholas Fang, Illinois researchers have demonstrated an acoustic cloak, a technology that renders underwater objects invisible to sonar and other ultrasound waves.

"We are not talking about science fiction. We are talking about controlling sound waves by bending and twisting them in a designer space," said Fang, who also is affiliated with the Beckman Institute for Advanced Science and Technology. "This is certainly not some trick Harry Potter is playing with."

While materials that can wrap sound around an object rather than reflecting or absorbing it have been theoretically possible for a few years, realization of the concept has been a challenge. In a paper accepted for publication in the journal Physical Review Letters, Fang's team describe their working prototype, capable of hiding an object from a broad range of sound waves.

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 06:00 AM
link   
Hmmmm... I wonder if government scientists are experimenting as well with this. My thought process goes back to the incidents where we had a supposed missile launch of the California coast, and off the Texas coast. If the Navy was testing this new technology, the missile launches might be the end of the excersizes.

Penetrate our sosus network, fire your missile.

Reminds me of the movie Down Periscope, but still a possibility.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 08:49 AM
link   
Another thread that turned out fact?
2nd

new topics

join