It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China warns Condi Rice

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2004 @ 11:48 AM
link   
China's military strongman Jiang Zemin told visiting US National Security Adviser Condoleezza Rice, China would not "sit idle" if foreign forces supported Taiwan independence......

story.news.yahoo.com.../afp/20040708/pl_afp/china_us_asia_nkorea

The US seems to support the One China policy, but at the same time, is committed to the Taiwan Relations Act. So if China invades Taiwan, then the US will defend Taiwan?

[edit on 12-7-2004 by dolphinguy2004]

posted on Jul, 8 2004 @ 11:58 AM
link   
It depends on how much oil is in taiwan..... what we should do is proposition china to launch a joint effort agains North Korea, and after we will split the loot between us.... although china is a hard nation to deal with because they plan everything acourding to the 2k plan.... basing there moves to simply dominate the world through population and atrician in the next 2000 years

posted on Jul, 8 2004 @ 12:24 PM
link   
chen shld know that now is the best time to declare independance frm china and hope for US military aid while bush is at the helm.

taiwan shld know that they will definately be invaded once they announce independance. i hope they do. this war on terrorism is getting boring

posted on Jul, 8 2004 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jaypeth
... what we should do is proposition china to launch a joint effort agains North Korea...

this can definately happen if the US guarantees China that they will not support Taiwan in their quest for independance. so basically it up to the US, do they want to quash N Korea or stick with Taiwan. i dont think taiwan is that important to the US.

posted on Jul, 8 2004 @ 05:41 PM
link   
I would say most Chinese young people support this war.Taiwan is part of China. You have no idea how Taiwanese wanna a unique nation. Though 50% of taiwanese think they are not Chinese.

In current Chinese forum, young people cite American civil war sample, or if Texas announce independence, what Washington gonna do?

posted on Jul, 8 2004 @ 06:11 PM
link   
Hmmm, I don't think United States would defend Taiwan. Im sure we would supply them with some patriot missile defense systems, and some aircraft, but that's about it.

Im usually not concerned with foreign powers, for instance Iraq never seemed a threat to me, but NK in my mind does. I would applaud efforts for a China/USA pact to target NK weapon facilities from the air.

posted on Jul, 8 2004 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by superpyz
I would say most Chinese young people support this war.Taiwan is part of China. You have no idea how Taiwanese wanna a unique nation. Though 50% of taiwanese think they are not Chinese.

looking back into history, its easy to understand why they the taiwanese dont consider themselves chinese. theyve done well economically by themselves since 1940s.

if u ask me, this is all about money and show of dominance in asia by china. heck i dont even think its about the money anymore, china is set to become an economic power in its own right in the future. so this is about nationalistic pride?

posted on Jul, 8 2004 @ 11:37 PM
link   
Ok, I have relatives live Taiwan, and one of my cousins is Taiwan Air Force pilot. He told me that less than half of Taiwanese dont consider they are Chinese. Here we must clarify that Chinese dose not mean Communism.
I dont like chicom, but I do think taiwanese are typical chinese. Nothing to shame to be a Chinese.
I'm a Chinese, and I think people will throw communist out of our country one day,and become uS's biggest allies .....

posted on Jul, 9 2004 @ 12:11 AM
link   
superpyz, do not do daydreaming.

Is Russia now still communism, is Russia the biggest Ally of US?
Do you see what US is now doing in Georgia? Is Nato expanding?

Democrazy or not does not change anything between US and China.
Remember Hitler was democratically elected. So is Bush and started illegal invasion of Iraq.

posted on Jul, 9 2004 @ 12:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by agent
taiwan shld know that they will definately be invaded once they announce independance. i hope they do. this war on terrorism is getting boring

No change. China has the ability to destroy but not Invade Taiwan. They lack the airlift and amphibious capacity. Also, do not expect the Taiwanese to just roll over either. With or without US help they would pay a heavy price and most likely have to destroy the island in the process. China needs to take Taiwan intact to have any benifit from it.

posted on Jul, 9 2004 @ 12:56 AM
link   
China will unite with Taiwan, even if no grass can grown there. No one should under estimate the determination of 1.3 Billion Chinese people.

posted on Jul, 9 2004 @ 01:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by zcheng
China will unite with Taiwan, even if no grass can grown there. No one should under estimate the determination of 1.3 Billion Chinese people.

Im not saying you are determined, but if that is the prevaling mentality of China in that a destroyed Taiwan is better than none, you cannot argue with such a closed mentality.

posted on Jul, 9 2004 @ 01:18 AM
link   
"Im not saying you are determined, but if that is the prevaling mentality of China in that a destroyed Taiwan is better than none, you cannot argue with such a closed mentality. "

I suggest you do a sampling of Chinese here in US, and see how many will tolerate a Taiwan as a nation, let alone those in Mainland, China.

posted on Jul, 9 2004 @ 02:45 AM
link   
Quote-"He went on to say that the Chinese side has taken note that all US administrations since President Richard Nixon have promised to follow the one-China policy, and appreciated President George W. Bush's reiterations that his administration abides by the one-China policy and the three Sino-US joint communiques and opposes Taiwan independence."

news3.xinhuanet.com...

This article from China View seems to be a little more subdued. Although shouldn't the US be looking into the future, rather than looking into the past when it has come to what previous Administrations have done?

posted on Jul, 9 2004 @ 03:11 AM
link   

I suggest you do a sampling of Chinese here in US, and see how many will tolerate a Taiwan as a nation, let alone those in Mainland, China.

www.taiwandc.org...

also from:
www.americans-world.org...

A strong majority views Taiwan as being more like an independent country than as part of China. In February 1996, when China was launching missiles into the Taiwan Strait to reiterate its territorial claim during Taiwan's first democratic presidential election, Louis Harris presented respondents with two options to describe Taiwan's status. Sixty-two percent chose the description of a Taiwan as a "completely separate and independent of China." Less than one-third chose the description of Taiwan as "part of China." This does not necessarily mean that most Americans think of Taiwan as being no different than any other sovereign state, because the only other option was the description of Taiwan as part of China. But it does make clear that more Americans think of Taiwan as being more like an independent country than as part of China. Perhaps more important, in the same poll, 69% said that Taiwan and China should be reunified "only if the Taiwanese want to be"; just 18%, however, said they should "never be reunified"; and only 2% felt they "should eventually be reunified�under any circumstances."

posted on Jul, 9 2004 @ 08:03 AM
link   
"...Perhaps more important, in the same poll, 69% said that Taiwan and China should be reunified "only if the Taiwanese want to be"; just 18%, however, said they should "never be reunified"; and only 2% felt they "should eventually be reunified�under any circumstances."

This is the poll of American people. In this case, you should ask whether they are ready to die for Taiwan independence from China. Anyone has the poll on this question?

You need to poll of 1.3 Billion Chinese not American, because this determines whether China will go to war when Taiwan declares independence.

posted on Jul, 9 2004 @ 08:14 AM
link   

You need to poll of 1.3 Billion Chinese not American, because this determines whether China will go to war when Taiwan declares independence.

As if the results would be accurate when measured by the Propaganda Department. Just like Saddam got 97 percent of the vote in Iraq. Give me a break. The people would vote no doubt however the government want them too all the while looking over thier shoulder for the guy with the AK-47 pushing into their backs.

Hmmm the last time public opinion was voiced in China what was the result? Ah yes the Massacre at Tienaman Square.

posted on Jul, 9 2004 @ 08:18 AM
link   
" Just like Saddam got 97 percent of the vote in Iraq. "

That is exactly why I ask you to poll Chinese in US first, so you will trust your poll.

posted on Jul, 9 2004 @ 08:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by FredT

This is what you asked. a Poll of 1.3 billion Chinese.

posted on Jul, 9 2004 @ 08:26 AM
link   
Pleae reread:
"That is exactly why I ask you to poll Chinese in US first"

You should know the meaning of "first", it will give a flavor of the response.

At a later time, when you poll the 1.3 Billion Chinese, you will know that is not because of propaganda, but true voice from their heart.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join