It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA to announce new exo planet Jan 10

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 03:51 PM
link   
reply to post by nataylor

but if they cant detect them close in it means they have no chance of detecting them further out. Its harder to detect planets further away from the star of the same size.

but your probably right i think it will be a case of more data & more software calibration. Fine tuning if you like to get down to 1 earth radius in the HZ of a sun-like star.

Ive waited 20 years for this mission, i watched the launch from behind the sofa lol i just get worried :/
edit on 10-1-2011 by yeti101 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 06:35 PM
link   
I think its amazing the amount of data they can get from simply observing dips in the stars brightness...

1.4 times as wide as Earth
4.6 times as massive as Earth
Too hot to host life as we know it
Density is about 8.8 times that of water
Mostly made of rock and metal
One side of the planet is likely permanently facing the star
Heating it to around 1400 °C
We expect to find oceans of molten material

The reason it was a big deal:

Planet hunter Geoff Marcy of the University of California in Berkeley, who was not involved in the discovery, said it is "the first definitive rocky planet ever found" outside the solar system.

The BBC are saying that its a stepping stone to finding "Earth like worlds"
Rocky exoplanet milestone in hunt for Earth-like worlds

I think that in our life time we will find a definite earth like planet but whether we will be able to observe it close up I'm not sure,

I love the idea that if there is life out there that we will be the aliens doing the visiting I really like the idea of aliens looking up in the sky one day and "we" are the ones who ascend, I like finding things out for ourselves I'd hate it if aliens turned up here and said "here's all knowledge of the universe... see ya later"... boring, I think there's an excitement to be had about unravelling things ourselves and taking credit for our own discoveries and I look forward to the day we hear on the news "earth like world found!".
edit on 10-1-2011 by roughycannon because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 02:29 AM
link   
reply to post by roughycannon

its a bit disingenuous of Geoff & Natalie to say that tbh. CoRoT 7b ( 1.7 earth radius) & Gliese 581 e are definitley in the same class.

By kepler teams own definition this is a super-earth, when they hit 0.75 to 2 Earth mass they will have acheived what they set out to do.

Models predict planets that are 3 Earth Mass or higher will have a runaway atmosphere effect making them hostile thats why the kepler team see it as imprtant we get down to 2 earth mass and hopefully smaller.

Its the same old story in astronomy they like to hype things for the general public. When they extract a signal for a smaller planet which they should be able to do then I'll start getting excited.
edit on 11-1-2011 by yeti101 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 01:47 PM
link   
More Kepler data released:

"Kepler-10 data from May '09 through Jan '10 are now available to the community."

archive.stsci.edu...

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join