It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

House Republicans Introduce Bill to Repeal Birthright Citizenship Amendment

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 09:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Lemon.Fresh

So the solution is to strip everyone of their jus soli citizenship, and completely destroy the country, just to get at the ones that they don't like. Kinda overkill don't you think?

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 09:18 AM
link   
reply to post by whatukno

Being born in some country does not make anyone a citizen, that is not what is important.

Citizenship should be inherited from parents, or granted to those who live here long enough and contribute to society. The whole jus soli notion leads to absurd things like alien pregnant mother going to vacation or for better healthcare during birth, and suddenly her child is a citizen. Also, why should a child of American parents born abroad be an American citizen under Jus soli? It is just ad-hoc addition. I support Jus sanguinis, not jus soli:

en.wikipedia.org...

edit on 7/1/11 by Maslo because: clarification

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 09:23 AM
link   
Wukky, they're not talking about repealing the 14th amendment. They want to change the Immigration and Nationality Act Section 301, I'm guessing the first line:

SEC. 301. [8 U.S.C. 1401] The following shall be nationals and citizens of the United States at birth:

(a) a person born in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof;

They want to force the Supreme Court to rule on whether or not the 14th applies to illegal immigrants. Then pass this bill to change the Nationality Act.

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 09:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Maslo

By a pure Jus sanguinis standard, my grandmother, mother, and myself would be citizens of Ireland and not the US, as my great grandparents, though legal residents, were not full citizens at the time of my grandmothers birth. Adopting such a system might take away from the problems that arise from Jus soli rights, but would add a potential for abuse which is just staggering in its implications.

~Heff
edit on 1/7/11 by Hefficide because: clarificatoin in syntax

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 09:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by whatukno

So the solution is to strip everyone of their jus soli citizenship, and completely destroy the country, just to get at the ones that they don't like. Kinda overkill don't you think?

No, that is not what the proposal is about. It is about changing jus soli mechanism of granting citizenship to jus sanguinis, a sensible move that should have been done long ago. It does not affect people who are already citizens, irregardless of the way they acquired their citizenship.

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 09:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lemon.Fresh
But something needs to be done so people can't game the system.

How about enforcing the laws we have instead of making more?

And I wonder if you'd be so kind as to answer my question about Obama's mother moving out of the US? Thanks.

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 09:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hefficide
reply to post by Maslo

By a pure Jus sanguinis standard, my grandmother, mother, and myself would be citizens of Ireland and not the US, as my great grandparents, though legal residents, were not full citizens at the time of my grandmothers birth. Adopting such a system might take away from the problems that arise from Jus soli rights, but would add a potential for abuse which is just staggering in its implications.

~Heff
edit on 1/7/11 by Hefficide because: clarificatoin in syntax

Such a system works all over the world, and all these things are easy to solve. Jus sanguinis is a natural system used everywhere, even in the US, because citizenship is inherited everytime. Jus soli is used as an ADDITION to jus sanguinis, and by removing it, potential to abuse can only be diminished.

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 09:31 AM
link   
I believe Republicans will further rip america, people have limited memory, they forgot what happen in the Bush era. However with this specific legestation act I am in aggreince with them. Illegals do run for the border when they are nearing their birth. SOmehow we must stop this invasion. I am not against illegals comming here and becomming legal, we have all been illegal at one time even if it dateis back to our ancestors comking in. Native americans obviously are excluded from legal non legal status.
We are overpopulated to the point millions of americans are either unemployed or in poverty status. If we stop the birthright law, they wont rush here so quickly. Im for it.
My ancestors when arriving to america in the very late 1800`s adn early 1900`s went through ellis island, processed through like animals, started home businesses or found low wage work, got in line and earned what know I can say my citizenship.
Get in line and go through the process legally.

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 09:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

Ann Durham did not meet citizen requirements as she moved out of country.

What? When did this happen? When did she move out of the country?
edit on 1/7/2011 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

I am sorry, I mis-typed. She did not meet citizenship requirements because she had not yet reached her 19th birthday.

Fingers going faster than my brain this early in the morning.

The whole moving bit though, is icing on the cake, as she did move to Indonesia where baby Barry attended school as an Indonesian citizen, which invalidates his citizenship of any other country.

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 09:37 AM
link   
American ATS'ers still caught up in hegelian dialectics.. *sigh*

Just keep on blaming the other guys.
It would almost be funny if the situation wasn't incredibly precarious already.

Keep saber rattling back and forth conservatives and liberals while the money masters destroy your country even more, EXCELLENT!

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 09:37 AM
link   

No one said anything of retroactive enforcement. Now you are just jumping off the deep end to try and prove a point.

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 09:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hefficide
reply to post by whatukno

WUK makes a very important point - one that many people fail to miss...

All the rhetoric about restoring our nation to its Constitutional roots... Well the original Constitution only provided voting rights for native born, male, white landholders.

Be careful what you wish and vote for people. It might just bite you in the posterior.

~Heff

Classic fear-mongering - and just really dumb. What Republican that is of another race or sex is EVER going to vote for something like what you "suggest" to help it pass?

edit on 1/7/2011 by centurion1211 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 09:40 AM
link   

reply to post by Maslo

. . .

Think about it for a moment, the selling point behind this is because Conservatives in general don't like anyone who speaks Spanish. Don't deny it, the myriad of laws among the southern states reveal the reality of the situation. . . .

I think I am done . . . no, not yet

I am what you would label a conservative. I was born, raised, and live in deeeeep south Texas, where Spanish (and Tex-Mex) is spoken more than English.

Yep. I hate those dang Spanish speaking people!

Never mind the fact that, though I am white, Spanish was my first language.

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 09:42 AM
link   
reply to post by centurion1211

I'm missing your dig entirely. Are you trying to make fun of my historical accuracy or are you trying to downplay the tendency of the extreme right towards intolerance of others?

Either way, methinks thou dost protest too much.

~Heff

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 09:49 AM
link   
I am curious about the proposed legislation. If my great grandfather was not legal, then would that make my grandmother illegal and thus my dad illegal and thus make me illegal? The way I keep hearing it, your only as legal as your parents are. How many generations back does one have to be legal?

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 09:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by rogerstigers
I am curious about the proposed legislation. If my great grandfather was not legal, then would that make my grandmother illegal and thus my dad illegal and thus make me illegal? The way I keep hearing it, your only as legal as your parents are. How many generations back does one have to be legal?

The proposed law is not retroactive, so nobody would be stripped of citizenship.

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 09:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

Ann Durham did not meet citizen requirements as she moved out of country.

What? When did this happen? When did she move out of the country?
edit on 1/7/2011 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

I am sorry, I mis-typed. She did not meet citizenship requirements because she had not yet reached her 19th birthday.
Fingers going faster than my brain this early in the morning.

The whole moving bit though, is icing on the cake, as she did move to Indonesia where baby Barry attended school as an Indonesian citizen, which invalidates his citizenship of any other country.

You get caught out in one lie so you make up another?
She could have given birth at 12 years old in America and her baby would still be a natural born American.

According to American law a child cannot lose their American citizenship by being a citizen of another country. Even adults do not automatically lose citizenship for this. Haven't you heard of dual citizens?
And there is no proof Obama ever became an Indonesian citizen.

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Oh I see, so it's just going to effect Latinos only eh? Doesn't seem quite legal or justified. Either everyone born in this country is a citizen, or no one born in this country is a citizen.

What do we all have to take the citizenship test? I don't know many natural born Americans who would actually pass that test.

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 10:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Maslo

So this law would only apply to people born AFTER the law is enacted? The challenge is the same then.

If a woman has been in the US illegally for 25 years (since being a baby) and already has a child, that child is a citizen, but would any future children she has would not be citizens?

I am guessing that when the first child has kids, they would be safe, since the first kid was an "anchor baby" citizen?

BTW, I don't see this law doing anything of consequence towards reducing illegal immigration. Mexico having a stable and growing economy would help reduce illegal immigration, though.

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 10:06 AM
link   

Either everyone born in this country is a citizen, or no one born in this country is a citizen.

Most likely, everyone born in this country would NOT be a citizen UNLESS one of the parents can prove their citizenship. Then what about a father who isn't really the father? This would be a loophole to the women who are supposedly coming here to have babies. They could just name a US citizen as the father. Will we then insist on paternity tests for citizenship?

This could be a real mess. Why don't they just enforce the laws we have and work on immigration reform?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join