It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. teenager tortured in Kuwait and barred re-entry into the U.S.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 12:14 AM
link   

U.S. teenager tortured in Kuwait and barred re-entry into the U.S.

www.salon.com

Kuwait is little more than a subservient American protectorate, and the idea that they would do this to an American citizen without the American government's knowledge, if not its assent and participation, is implausible in the extreme. That much of the information they sought from Mohamed is of particular interest to the U.S. Government only bolsters that likelihood.

Independent of all that, the U.S. Government has an obligation to protect its own citizens. Mohamed described to me how both embassy officials and the FBI expressed zero interest in the torture to which he had been subjected
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 7-1-2011 by DimensionalDetective because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 12:14 AM
link   
This is a particularly disconcerting story.

This young man, an american citizen, despite never even having had so much as a run in with the law his entire life, is suddenly denied a visa passport, detained, and then basically kidnapped away rendition-style, interrogated and tortured, for potential terrorist connections.

Now he was never charged with a single count of anything, but he has STILL been placed on the NO-FLY list to come back into the states?

The folks who questioned him never identified themselves, and even the FBI seemed unconcerned when he disclosed that he had been tortured?

Perhaps there's more to this story, but on the surface, an american teenage citizen appears to just entered the torture-R-Us factory, and no one within his own gov appears to be concerned, nor even COMMENTING on it?

There may be more to the story that will come out, but at this stage, something stinks to high heavens here, imho...

www.salon.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 12:36 AM
link   
I too feel that there is a lot more to this story than is being said. It is just speculation but we had more response a few years back when that kid was caned for spray painting cars. It shouldn't be a matter of whether or not he had an arrest history or not in the states but why is the gov't not proactive in procuring a citizen? In the service we are taught no man left behind yet in intelligence, the feeling is don't blow cover by rescueing operatives. The kid may be an intelligence operative and has defected....... therefore a defected spy would be permenanantly barred from his home country. This is nothing fact but a product of observation and wild guessing as to intentions of my country.

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 12:57 AM
link   
Well it doesnt matter since that is all speculation and guessing he is guilty does not make him guilty of anything. No matter what he has ever done, he's a citizen and needs to return home ASAP..

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 01:12 AM
link   
U.S. Citizens cannot be denied Entrance into the US. Even if they have absolutely no identification with them they must be allowed entry and can be detained until their identity is confirmed.

I would like to know who took him though, if it was American interrogators, Kuwaiti or some other Government other than the US working with Kuwait. Why was this guy targeted at this particular time, and not before when he went to renew his visa.

I think we are missing some information...

In this case, if the facts presented are true, then I think the Council on American Islamic Relations should take the Government to task.

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 10:04 AM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

Like everyone else I feel there is more to the story, someone is not telling the whole truth.

Ok, so according to the article his family came to the US when Gulet was 2 or 3 yrs old and there he stayed until he was about 16 when he was shipped off to Yemen to study Arabic and Islam. Well, we all know Yemen is not on the US's happy list with all the supposed training camps. The story doesn't get much better when he says his mom urged him to leave Yemen, doesn't say why, she just wanted him out of there after just a few weeks.

From Yemen he goes to Somalia, another country on the US watch list, so this isn't much better and he stays in Somalia for a few months. Finally, for whatever reason, he gets shipped off to Kuwait to stay with more family.

His no fly status had to have changed while in Kuwait, within the past few months, since he was traveling around with ease and only found out and was detained when he went to get his passport renewed. Perhaps it could be as simple as the countless other cases where he shares the same name with someone else, unfortunately for him he has recently been traveling between countries the US believes to harbor terrorist training camps, which while incredibly suspicious is not illegal.

I know lot's of teens participate in study abroad programs and such, but I am curious about his educational status. If he left the US at around 16 specifically to study Islam and Arabic, what about the rest of his education, especially if his plan was to return to the US. Every family is different and I'm sure his parents had there reasons, but I find it a little odd that his parents would ship him off for over a year considering his age at the time to be "educated" in two areas of study in two countries that are known to hold extremist views. Seems irresponsible to me.

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 10:36 AM
link   
Here is link to the letter Gulet's lawyer sent to the department of justice.

After pouring through tons of articles, most of which are all the same, it seems the issue is that the US government believes he went to Yemen to follow Anwar al Awlaki after a meeting at a Virginia mosque (where Gulet and his family live). However, I can not find anything that indicates what mosque in Virginia they attend, so if anyone else is able I'd appreciate it.

The greater issue here is the US using foreign government officials (Kuwait being already known) to torture suspects. This is not new though, I'm assuming this case is receiving attention because the detained person is American. Assuming what Gulet speaks is the truth, then is beyond horrible, and must be rectified, however considering his whereabouts, he couldn't have been surprised that there would be some questions not torture, obviously, but he should have expected a visit from officials.

new topics

top topics

join