It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FACT CHECK: Mass bird, fish deaths occur regularly

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 11:44 AM
link   
What a joke, seriously, and some of you guys believe this lol, likethis type of stuff happens everyday, lol, if 1 cat or dog is abused people go bonkers lol, and now your trying to tell me thousands upon thousands of birds and fish all died , and nobody is worried, its all normal, plz stop drinking that water, wow im amazed

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 11:50 AM
link   
This is what I love about ATS... "Critical Thinking" and intelligent people having a debate. I like many here feel like we are being misled by government and major media. After all, isn't that why we are all here? I respect the opinion of posters that feel this mass die off is average. It may be. My experience in life tells me something is up. I have never seen anything like this in my 50 years. Our own experience is all we have.

When my daughter lied to me and broke my trust. From that point on I verified everything she told me. I treat the government and media the same way. It seems like this board is policed very tight. I like that. It has stopped me from posting until I could get the feel of the debate. I hope I am not in any rule violation with this post. Apologies in advance.

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 11:56 AM
link   
I live in Quebec City, and we just had a report of 80 birds falling dead to the ground this morning.

link in french (French speaking city)

www.quebechebdo.com...;oiseaux-retrouves-morts-a-Saint-Augustin /1

article says that December 18, there were dead birds found, and again in the same area Wednesday, Jan 5
edit on 7-1-2011 by Le Colonel because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tsuki-no-Hikari
Now will people please stop with all of the gloom and doom? The ONLY reason this seems weird right now is because the news is actually bothering to report it.

People really need to calm down and stop panicking every time something they find to be out of the ordinary happens. Animals die. Extinctions happen. The Earth isn't a sealed off little bubble. There are diseases, weather patterns, and any other number of things that can affect animal populations. The USGS reports alone (see USGS link above are proof of that.

Sorry to be so blunt, but isn't really not denying ignorance when people freak out over every little thing that happens in the world.

EDIT: This link gives good insight into this as well: www.publicbroadcasting.net...

dailyme.com
(visit the link for the full news article)]
edit on 7-1-2011 by Tsuki-no-Hikari because: (no reason given)

Really? Just google map Large animal deaths

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 12:04 PM
link   
I am going to say this is not normal in the numbers we are seeing.

I agree animals die in large numbers on a regular basis, but not the way we are seeing it now and over the past few years. It is coming more often and in larger numbers.

I am also going to say to expect more of this in the years to come and to expect larger numbers. I believe we are seeing the birth pangs of coming events.

Prepare yourself because something is most certainly happening. What we are seeing is not normal the way it is happening.

Raist

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 12:05 PM
link   
I suspected as much, that this is just a product of overinformation of the internet. The more we learn about our world, the more we freak out...like everything is happening right in our back yard and isn't natural (because our point of reference is just what is going on in our back yard).

Thanks for bringing a bit of perspective OPs.

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Raist

Exactly... according to the OP there are an average of 163 reported each year... however to have this many (more than 20) in a 5 day span would mean the average should be more like 1,040 a year IF THIS WERE NORMAL.

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 12:10 PM
link   
We should know by now that on ATS, refuting arguments with evidence doesn't work. The ignorant will always remain ignorant, whether it be vaccinations, evolution, feral horses, etc.

This is pretty much the common response to a presentation of evidence:
Presenter - "Die offs actually happen all the time.'
Common ATS Responder - "Yeah, that's what they WANT you to think.
edit on 7-1-2011 by PieKeeper because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 12:11 PM
link   
reply to post by PieKeeper

I haven't seen any evidence which says more than 20 mass kills in 5 days is normal...

I have seen evidence that says on average 163 occur each year... but extrapolating that number to what we are seeing this week would mean that we should see on average 1,040 each year...

So yes we are intelligently debating what some are providing as "evidence of normality"

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 12:14 PM
link   
reply to post by HunkaHunka

Just because a handful of die offs happen in a short period of time doesn't mean they are related. Statistically, having a string of die offs should actually happen once in a while.
edit on 7-1-2011 by PieKeeper because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Helmkat
reply to post by HunkaHunka

Welcome to Earth, this isn't new, it happens all the time, Do you know how many birds were wiped out by West Nile Virus? It decimated huge populations, Blue Jays disappeared entirely from where I live for over 4 years! In short west nile killed more birds over a larger area for longer then any of the "die offs" that have so many up in arms but that doesn't seem to count, why is that I wonder? and lets not get into the amphibian populations that are being devastated around the world in countless numbers, well if the animal dies under a log it doesn't count, right?
. . .

Over a a period of months does not equal dying instantly.

Apples and oranges . . . again.

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 12:19 PM
link   

It would be most welcome to find evidence of such a past string of die-offs occurring in the span of about a week. That would show that this current situation, however rare, is not unprecedented. So far, though, none of the links arguing that this is a normal occurrence have actually pointed to a string of die offs (occurring in various areas of the world in the span of several days) like we're seeing this week.
edit on 7-1-2011 by Ariel because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alienmojo

Originally posted by Tsuki-no-Hikari

FACT CHECK: Mass bird, fish deaths occur regularly

dailyme.com

On average, 163 such events are reported to the federal government each year, according to USGS records. And there have been much larger die-offs than the 3,000 blackbirds in Arkansas. Twice in the summer of 1996, more than 100,000 ducks died of botulism in Canada.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.nwhc.usgs.gov

Awesome thread! Thank you so much for that and really knocking it to the people who love to take natural occurring events and make it sound like the end of the world!

Because it is natural for 5000 birds to die mid flight.

Because it is Natural for tens of thousands of Drum, Catfish, and Croaker to die, in the same area, during the same time frame.

Because it is Natural for 100 tons of Catfish and Croaker to die half a globe away, in the same time frame.

Because it is normal for thousands of birds half way across the globe the other way to all die mid flight, within the same time frame.

Riiiiight.

The link I was given a few pages back shows that the big die offs happened 12 times in the last century. Now we have 16 in one week. Real natural there.

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 12:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Tsuki-no-Hikari

S and F. Thanks for putting this phenomenon into some perspective. You have acted to reduce ignorance. I admit that I got very concerned about the bird and fish deaths when I first heard the news.

Rgds

T
edit on 7-1-2011 by tiger5 because: typo

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by 2manyquestions

Originally posted by Lemon.Fresh
Yes because disease just happens to kill thousands of creatures all at the same time, all in the same place.

Because this happens worldwide all the time too, huh.

I do not believe in coincidence.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

What about the bubonic plague which at one point killed millions of people (about 70 million) across the world during the 14th century, and threatened to kill many more had it not been contained? Disease can wipe out a species quickly and suddenly if the conditions are right.

*le sigh*

Again, one century does not equal mid flight. A disease also does not kill all creatures who have it at exactly the same time.

Apples . . . and . . . oranges

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ariel

It would be most welcome to find evidence of such a past string of die-offs occurring in the span of about a week. That would show that this current situation, however rare, is not unprecedented. So far, though, none of the links arguing that this is a normal occurrence have actually pointed to a string of die offs (occurring in various areas of the world in the span of several days) like we're seeing this week.

Exactly!

This is what I'm looking for.. but no one has been able to provide any data like that.. just dismissing questions as silly.

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by HunkaHunka

Originally posted by Ariel

Exactly!

This is what I'm looking for.. but no one has been able to provide any data like that.. just dismissing questions as silly.

And don't forget vanilla!

Heh. My agreeing with HunkaHunka on something.

Who would of thunk it

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 12:33 PM
link   
It would be interesting if we could see a graph of reported amounts of animal deaths from, lets say 1980 to 2010, then we could see if the reports are rising, or are normal.I agree that we have more info than ever from the internet
and this could be a case of man just focusing on a particular subject, but I will always give the benefit of the doubt
to my fellow man first then review the information and decide whether or not there is any credence to what is being reported. I am 41yrs old and have been all over this hole world, I personally have never witnessed a bird or birds
just drop from the air, I have been in combat and have never seen it,and I know it happens from time to time. I will say my dogs have been acting strange for the past two months with continuous howling that they never did before but that's not enough info to warrant my concern but I will keep my eye's on it.Let's not be to harsh on people for reporting this, there is no need to. If we continue to be harsh to these people for speaking out then they will stop altogether. Yes we will have to weed through the BS but there is nothing comparable to "humit"(human intelligence). This is why "they" don't like the internet or short wave radio.The GOV. uses humit along with the other alphabete groups. In the end it's better to prepare for the worst and expect the best.

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 12:44 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Last time in my area when a whole river system got wiped out of most fishes, killing birds and alot of different wildlife, was a train derailement and it dumped tons of chemicals. I have never ever head of anything this massive and to be told its normal occurance, is just insane, seriously the MSM arent in my area talking too much about it, same old stuff, corupt politicians, house fire, gang violence lol, not much on dead animals.

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join