It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FACT CHECK: Mass bird, fish deaths occur regularly

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 09:28 AM
link   
Someone stated Botulism , well that a summer decease.

And besides that, even if the Birds (and fish) are dying of "ordinary" bird deceases, i still say something is wrong. Due to the magnitude and worldwide timing.

If cows start dropping dead they will say, no worries, cattle dies all the time. ................
edit on 7-1-2011 by EartOccupant because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 09:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Helmkat
reply to post by HunkaHunka

Welcome to Earth, this isn't new, it happens all the time, Do you know how many birds were wiped out by West Nile Virus? It decimated huge populations, Blue Jays disappeared entirely from where I live for over 4 years! In short west nile killed more birds over a larger area for longer then any of the "die offs" that have so many up in arms but that doesn't seem to count, why is that I wonder? and lets not get into the amphibian populations that are being devastated around the world in countless numbers, well if the animal dies under a log it doesn't count, right?

Anyway I do have several bird feeders and live next to a natural area and am very familiar with the wildlife in my area.

Here is an article you might find interesting and I encourage everyone to take part in the annual backyard bird count.

www.birdsource.org...

edit on 7-1-2011 by Helmkat because: (no reason given)

Yep! And west Nile is hella different than fireworks!

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 09:43 AM
link   
OP. I have a sincere question for you. You seem to have looked into this more than many here. I was hoping you could tell me if NWHC has any kind of trend analysis of this phemomenon for the past 50 years. I didn't see anything at the website, unless I missed it. Just curious.

Also, being an older man, I do vaguely remember the occasional mass die-off scenario from the 70's but I will say it seems to have been on an upward curve since that time. So it would be interesting to see some accurate trends.

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 10:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by HunkaHunka
reply to post by NadaCambia

Ok so let's count...

Thousands of birds in AR
20 miles of fish in AR
Hundreds of dead birds in TX
Hundreds of dead birds in LA
Hundreds of dead birds in TN
Hundreds of dead birds in IL
Hundreds of dead birds in KY
Thousands of dead fish in FL
Thousands of dead fish in Haiti
2 million dead fish in MD
Thousands of dead fish in SC
Dead pelicans in NC
40,000 dead crabs in UK
Hundreds of dead birds in UK
Hundreds of dead birds in Sweden
Twice there have been thousands of dead birds in Italy
Hundreds of Dead red snappers in NZ

There have been more than 16 massive kills in less than 5 days!!

Now.... When has this happened before?

For more info see www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 7-1-2011 by HunkaHunka because: (no reason given)

I'll ask again... is this magnitude of mass die offs normal? I'm sure it could be caused by a disease such as west nile... but then again, everyone is saying it's fireworks...

A disease would be a much clearer explanation... but we are being treated like mushrooms on this one...

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Wow I have seen a lot of ridiculous threads over the years on ATS but I think this one takes the cake. This discussion has been nothing but "yes it is" "no it isn't" back and forth the whole time. I seriously start to wonder about peoples motives when they say things that were said in this thread. Either their motives are dirty or they really are mentally retarded. I don't know which is worse.

Just give it up guys, no amount of reason or evidence or logic will change even a single mind. It is such a waste of time it starts to be comical after a bit.

On to the next one.

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 10:32 AM
link   
Although these mass die offs are worrying me a lot I also think the media, and internet momentum might be responsible for the over hyping the phenomenon.

I would think that if there's a time of the year for mass bird and fish die offs, it's in the winter.
Especially this year since we have erratic winter weather across the US and Europe.

Second, I'm wondering if the possible over hyping that is occuring is not similar to the advent of google on people panicking over personal health. You know, patients arriving to the doctor's office with a self-diagnostic. Same could be said with the BP catastrohpe. Internet hype rapidly brought it exaggerated proportions.That being said, I'm not saying I'd rather not have read about any of that. Of course the internet is the best way to get news and explanation. It's just that there might be information overload and people are currently adjusting to all this, which results in periods of "collective panic attacks"

Also, maybe with all the years the world has been worrying about the environment, it's finally become a subject that can terrorize people with. It's sure got me afraid. If this is the case, who knows, maybe we'll see the end of "conventional" terrorism

All that said, the news just annouced around 80 dead birds close to where i live.

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 10:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wowbagger

Although these mass die offs are worrying me a lot I also think the media, and internet momentum might be responsible for the over hyping the phenomenon.

The MSM is not reporting the totality of this...

only the local outlets like the one near you...

as I mentioned... the MSM is not doing a great job of blowing it out of proportion... actually just the opposite... they are only mentioning a few... not the close to 20 different events which have occured this week

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 10:47 AM
link   

I don't think its a question of being treated like mushrooms. To me its a question of the frequency. The reporting of these deaths has sparked interest of those who might not of been aware of them before. To those who have been closer to the subject for longer this is nothing new. Man has been decimating wildlife for a long time.

However I don't mean to imply that we should not be concerned. Those poor red winged black birds died due to human ignorance of their habits and that is shameful. Birds who were roosting, sound asleep were awoken by fireworks, they took to the sky at a time when they would not normally be flying and the rest is history. Imagine of you will being in a crowded movie theatre and the lights go out (even the emergency exits) and then the room begins to fill with smoke...

Anyway again I will say I do find these deaths distressing and something to be concerned about, what should be made clear though is that this is going on all the time and our concern should be focused on long term solutions to this old problem.

another item of interest.

www.usatoday.com...

Even when we are trying to be green we can cause harm. Life on this planet is a paradox, tough yet delicate.

edit on 7-1-2011 by Helmkat because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 10:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Agent_USA_Supporter
I am not a troll another thing you don't see me calling other people trolls do you?

Rrrrrriiiiiiight.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 10:49 AM
link   

The ignorance of those statements is so infantile it is laughable. The media is reporting on this. Whether it is your local news channel or CNN World Report they are both technically media. You have a bad habit of claiming your opinion as some kind of fact. You really should stop that.

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 10:50 AM
link   
I do not propose to know exactly what is going on in regard to the die-offs and I do not propose to be an expert on the subject nor do I follow this closely. In a couple of the occurences I am curious as to why the birds died as a result of "blunt force trauma"? I can understand disease but I'm not too sure about blunt force trauma. I tend to lean on the side of all the deaths not being quite "normal" but am open to a rational explantation especially in regard to birds dying as the result of blunt force trauma. Also, I'm not sure if anyone has shared but I came across a google map of the reported deaths

Google Map of Die-offs/Deaths

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 10:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lemon.Fresh
Yes because disease just happens to kill thousands of creatures all at the same time, all in the same place.

Because this happens worldwide all the time too, huh.

I do not believe in coincidence.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

What about the bubonic plague which at one point killed millions of people (about 70 million) across the world during the 14th century, and threatened to kill many more had it not been contained? Disease can wipe out a species quickly and suddenly if the conditions are right.

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by sputniksteve

The ignorance of those statements is so infantile it is laughable. The media is reporting on this. Whether it is your local news channel or CNN World Report they are both technically media. You have a bad habit of claiming your opinion as some kind of fact. You really should stop that.

The only laughable ignorance is the reports from CNN.

Find me any report in the MSM that lists all of those ... heck half of those that I mentioned above... none of them are doing it... popsci released an article yesterday and only mentioned three of the 20...

Sure when you list 3... it seems coincidental.. but when you list ALL of them it doesnt sound so coincidental...

Until I see these listed... the MSM is NOT reporting fully on it...

Ok so let's count...

Thousands of birds in AR
20 miles of fish in AR
Hundreds of dead birds in TX
Hundreds of dead birds in LA
Hundreds of dead birds in TN
Hundreds of dead birds in IL
Hundreds of dead birds in KY
Thousands of dead fish in FL
Thousands of dead fish in Haiti
2 million dead fish in MD
Thousands of dead fish in SC
Dead pelicans in NC
40,000 dead crabs in UK
Hundreds of dead birds in UK
Hundreds of dead birds in Sweden
Twice there have been thousands of dead birds in Italy
Hundreds of Dead red snappers in NZ

edit on 7-1-2011 by HunkaHunka because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 11:02 AM
link   
Correct me if I'm wrong, but if this was a natural occurrence that happens every year, why are most of the experts they have been interviewing from the wildlife sector describing this as "weird" and "strange". Most of these die offs are still unexplained, for example all of the bird deaths as well as the 100 tons of fish that washed up in Brazil. This may have been picked up by the media for a reason, i.e. it is not something that happens every few years.

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 11:10 AM
link   
More discussing will not give more results, as disinfo agents will spread idea that this is normal. But if this mass die continues in all world for month or more, than every man with brain will know that nothing is normal. They are only delay disclosing the truth with this disinfo.

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 11:10 AM
link   

I should have said, I think it's a combination of both. In the past, we had the media fueling panic. Now we have the people themselves, via forums, you tube and the like. It seems the media, especially those small local type, are picking up on what the fears of the people are and starting to exploit them.

This means to me that you have to be even more critical of the information you receive. You know, they have happened in the past, in my lifetime, and I don't remember hearing about it. The people are starting to decide what's important, to discuss.

Maybe that's the supposed shift in counsciousness

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 11:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Tsuki-no-Hikari

Interesting..where in this aricle does it say that it happens all over the world in which millions of animals and fish die..at the same time? where is that average..? Do you not have a clue how serious this is? Are you that easily duped in believing everything has an average? That this is normal? lol..you best get your thinking cap on a bit tighter..this post is as ignorant as it gets...

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by seanizle
Correct me if I'm wrong, but if this was a natural occurrence that happens every year, why are most of the experts they have been interviewing from the wildlife sector describing this as "weird" and "strange". Most of these die offs are still unexplained, for example all of the bird deaths as well as the 100 tons of fish that washed up in Brazil. This may have been picked up by the media for a reason, i.e. it is not something that happens every few years.

Exactly... the experts are calling it strange at the meta-level...

move along... nothing to see here

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 11:24 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 11:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Tsuki-no-Hikari

The duck case was a known cause however.. disease happens.. in these cases there's not been any sign of disease or poisoning .. just physical trauma .. so I don't think is one of the run of the mill hundreds per year type of thing..

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join