It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FACT CHECK: Mass bird, fish deaths occur regularly

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 10:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tsuki-no-Hikari
reply to post by aoi3610

I haven't seen anywhere near 100 reports. Where in the world are you getting this?

reply to post by Lemon.Fresh

*sigh*

I give up. People are do determined to believe that, somehow, anything that happens when they are alive is special. This planet has seen more mass deaths than people could even begin to comprehend, and yet a few birds die and people go insane over it.
edit on 6-1-2011 by Tsuki-no-Hikari because: (no reason given)

You give up because I just proved you and that link wrong. The botulism case in Canada in 1996 was over the course of months. Not one night. Botulism is a slow death. Not all the birds died at the same time, as happened in Arkansas.

Like I said, apples and oranges. 5000 birds in one night does not equal 10,000 birds in one season.
edit on 1/6/2011 by Lemon.Fresh because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 10:47 PM
link   
I am hearing stories of the birds crashing to the ground with arterial ruptures and internal hemmoraging..... has anyone checked into the Pine Bluff Arsenal? From what i gather of Pine Bluff Arsenal, in Arkansas, is where the U.S stored (stores...maybe) biological and nerve agents and is supposed to be an incinerator for Mustard, VX, Sarin and other toxins. Could it be that maybe, just maybe, the incinerator wasn't working properly and deadly gasses were released into the atmosphere and water? eep in mind that Sarin is odorless, tasteless and toxic and as a gasseous form can be carried up into the atmosphere and maybe carried on prevailing winds . Also check into the mass fish die off in the Arkansas River.... Coincidence... maybe could be illegal dumping such as the illegal dumping of toxins in Detroit and Potomac as we've seen before. Even if it was just the case in Arkansas, the gov't isn't going to admit it's fault, for instance agent orange to the veitnam war veterans and deet, then after wikileaks, the crap about Saddam pleading and complying with Nato and the United States and we still went to war and never found WMDs. It's funny ( not really) how we as Americans want to rid the rest of the world of nuclear power, chemical and biological weapons yet we still retain our own. As for the other mass die offs of fish in the chesapeake bay and more in Brazil..... it could be something higher giving us a subtle warning to shape up or ship out.

link   

Originally posted by Lemon.Fresh

Please show me evidence.

I need 5000 birds dead in one day, please

en.wikipedia.org...

en.wikipedia.org...
en.wikipedia.org...
en.wikipedia.org...

Smart ass answer for a vanilla question IMO

link   

No. I give up because people are so desperate for the world to go to hell that they ignore any and all evidence that stuff like this might actually be normal. I noticed that you went from wanting evidence of 1000 birds in a day to wanting evidence of 5000 in a day. You're just determined to stay deluded, aren't you?

How about an estimated 1 million toads over the course of 16 days in 2009? That averages out to 62,500 per day. But I suppose that doesn't count either.

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 10:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by aoi3610

It's all the medias fault, and probably social networking, and the popularity of the internet.

136 Reported in 1 year on average. (What has USGS reporting got to do with Social Media Etc)

Obviously, I don't think you read the OP's article.

Blame technology, says famed Harvard biologist E.O. Wilson. With the Internet, cell phones and worldwide communications, people are noticing events, connecting the dots more.

"This instant and global communication, it's just a human instinct to read mystery and portents of dangers and wondrous things in events that are unusual," Wilson told The Associated Press on Thursday. "Not to worry, these are not portents that the world is about to come to an end."

These events happen all the time. It's only unusual that you hear about them, not that they happen. Some reason this time they all got reported/noticed because everyone is thinking and talking about it on the media, internet, etc... this made the event seem bigger than it really is. I blame the technology too, people who are ill-informed get freaked out over stuff they don't know is already happening all around them all the time.

Events happen around the world that mostly go unnoticed,

Un-noticed? Perhaps, Unreported? Unlikely.

136 Reported in 1 year on average.

"Depending on the species, these things don't even get reported," White said.

Federal records show they happen on average every other day somewhere in North America. Usually, we don't notice them and don't try to link them to each other.

"They generally fly under the radar," said ornithologist John Wiens, chief scientist at the California research institution PRBO Conservation Science.

I'm guess you missed the part where they said it "happens on average EVERY OTHER DAY".... and that is only in North America... Imagine how it is all over the world.

It happens so much, people don't even notice, or report it.

but when media finally chooses to report it widely,

Which is not something i've seen?

Well the net is littered with media reports from across the globe about these die-offs which are pretty normal. You probably wouldn't be talking about it right now if it wasn't for the media reporting it.

people freak out

I haven't seen the average "JOE" give a toss?

You are the average joe. People like you worry about bioweapons, evil world rulers killing everyone and everything, the end of the world, HAARP, super sonic weapons, etc.... all just FEAR by people like you.

like it is the first time and think the events are "rare".

100+ events in 7 days is a FIRST?

No, it's not. Again, events happen EVERY OTHER DAY and that is only in North America....

100+ events? Don't start exaggerating on me now. It won't work.

so much attention.

Have they been plastering this all over your TV?
It is an honest question, I do not know, but they have not here.

Yes, and the internet.
edit on 6-1-2011 by gift0fpr0phecy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 10:49 PM
link   

No. I give up because people are so desperate for the world to go to hell that they ignore any and all evidence that stuff like this might actually be normal.

I tried to warn you.

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 10:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by yaphun

Please show me evidence.

I need 5000 birds dead in one day, please

en.wikipedia.org...

en.wikipedia.org...
en.wikipedia.org...
en.wikipedia.org...

Smart ass answer for a vanilla question IMO

If it is so vanilla, then why don't you answer it, instead of posting some snarky remarks?

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 10:55 PM
link   

Well you will have to explain to me what is a valid answer ?
What mass extinction events am I allowed to use ? over 90% of species that have been on earth are now extinct, what ones am I allowed to use ?

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 10:59 PM
link   

No. I give up because people are so desperate for the world to go to hell that they ignore any and all evidence that stuff like this might actually be normal.

Just so happens that croaker and catfish all over the world are dying by the thousands as well. Thousands of drum died in the same area as teh birds in Arkansas. Yeah, that is reeeeaaaal normal.

I noticed that you went from wanting evidence of 1000 birds in a day to wanting evidence of 5000 in a day. You're just determined to stay deluded, aren't you?

Give me either. 5000 is the Arkansas number. 1000 is a random number pulled out of my butt. Even though it is smaller, you still can't provide me evidence.

How about an estimated 1 million toads over the course of 16 days in 2009? That averages out to 62,500 per day. But I suppose that doesn't count either.

Link?

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 11:01 PM
link   

No. I give up because people are so desperate for the world to go to hell that they ignore any and all evidence that stuff like this might actually be normal. I noticed that you went from wanting evidence of 1000 birds in a day to wanting evidence of 5000 in a day. You're just determined to stay deluded, aren't you?

Listen - there are people out there that eat up anything. Strange as it may seem, I could say a meteor is going to hit and destroy life as we know it on X date and poof I have a bunch of people crying about the end of the world.

People don't want to know the facts about certain issues because it corresponds to their beliefs or agendas. It is the internet - and that is what we get, a humanity that is removed by digital bits that lets people be someone completely different than who they are in real life. Do you think that half these people typing to you in support of some major world bird die off will actually go to their office or place of work and start spouting their various theories around? No way. Here, they can argue until their fingers turn purple and blue and come up with any type of argument that makes them look cool.

Don't give up - you made me feel much better
I was relieved someone posted this, because all of this doom and gloom really sucks. It is boring, depressing and really not helping anyone. If these people actually believed something was happening they would get off of their collective buts and get non-virtual about it, meaning they would go outside and start making some noise.

Don't let them bother you - you made a lot of us feel better with your post - there are a lot of lurkers who just read posts and never comment...

peace!

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 11:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by yaphun

Well you will have to explain to me what is a valid answer ?
What mass extinction events am I allowed to use ? over 90% of species that have been on earth are now extinct, what ones am I allowed to use ?

This is not an extinction. There are still birds in the sky. There are still croakers, drum, and catfish in the waters.

Same as the OP. Trying to compare apples and oranges.

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 11:06 PM
link   

www.nwhc.usgs.gov...

And keep in mind that these are just the ones that are reported to the USGS.

More:

Dead birds in Australia in 2007

Note this bit:

Paul Connolly from the department's Nature Protection Branch says it is unlikely the deaths are linked, although nothing can be ruled out.

"The Esperance bird deaths involed a wide range of species, whereas Narembeen was a single species," he said.

"The swallows are insectivores, whereas most of the species affected in the Esperance area were nectarivores, so quite different types of birds involved."

Penguins last July

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 11:06 PM
link   

Mass kill offs are kind of linked to extinctions. Do you see why ?

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 11:07 PM
link   

Give me either. 5000 is the Arkansas number. 1000 is a random number pulled out of my butt. Even though it is smaller, you still can't provide me evidence.

3 MILLION FISH AND 1,500 BIRDS FOUND DEAD AT NEVADA REFUGE

1,500 birds found dead in Ukraine

THOUSANDS of birds have dropped dead at the Overlander Roadhouse, 200km south of Carnarvon, apparently perishing from extreme heat and lack of water.

...as you were saying?
edit on 6-1-2011 by gift0fpr0phecy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 11:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Tsuki-no-Hikari

Not until someone shows that this stuff happens in 16 different places within 4 days as common occurrence...

Yes we know that massive kills happen.... But this is 16 massive kills in the span of 4 days.

That's much different

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 11:10 PM
link   

These events are deaths. Extinctions are deaths. How exactly is that apples and oranges.

And this argument actually works against. Yes. There are still birds in the sky and fish in the sea. This is exactly why this isn't a big deal. If they were going extinct, I'd be worried. But this is still just a small subset of the population in isolated places.

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 11:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Tsuki-no-Hikari

Again, all your links are over months and weeks. Not one night.

Can't be that hard, eh?

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 11:11 PM
link   
If it's such a regular occurrence why haven't I or anyone I know experience such an event? None of my family, friends or co-workers have seen anything like this. I have seen the past die offs in the news over the years but that peaks my curiosity more. If they have occurred before then an alarm should go off because of the recent obvious increase in activity.

There is nothing normal or regular about mass amounts of anything dieing at the same time regardless of how much they occur, especially in the manner that most of these animals died.

edit on 6-1-2011 by TheLieWeLive because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 11:13 PM
link   
reply to post by HunkaHunka

There were 32 events reported to the USGS in July 2010.

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 11:14 PM
link   
content.usatoday.com...

Finding examples is getting harder because a bunch or retards "reporting" on the recent events.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join