It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Really want to know what's going wrong in the World?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 08:53 PM
link   
Do you really want to know what is wrong in the World?

Things like this..................

Judges rule cross at Calif. park unconstitutional

SAN DIEGO (AP) - A federal appeals court has ruled that a San Diego war memorial cross in a public park is unconstitutional.

The 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals issued the 3-0 decision Tuesday in a two-decade dispute over the cross at Mount Soledad.

In its decision, the court says the cross conveys a message of government endorsement of religion that violates the Constitution.

The court, however, says its decision does not mean that no cross can be part of the memorial. It says modifications can be made to make it constitutional but doesn't specify what the changes would be.

apnews.myway.com...

EVEN SO DEAR LORD................COME.

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Wow.. and here I thought it was the Juice Boxes giving everyone the gay... like Alex Jones said..

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 08:58 PM
link   
separation of church, state, and common sense

lordy lordy

be good

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 09:05 PM
link   
reply to post by BadBoYeed

Read the Constitution. You will not find the term "separation of Church and State". You will find the First Amendment however. And common sense should tell you this is NOT what the Founders ment.

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 09:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Quadrivium
reply to post by BadBoYeed

Read the Constitution. You will not find the term "separation of Church and State". You will find the First Amendment however. And common sense should tell you this is NOT what the Founders ment.

Too true.

However, certain people with their certain agendas have really proven that if you repeat something enough, people will start accepting it as fact without ever confirming it for themselves.

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 09:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Quadrivium

So.... for you, the world means the USA...??!!!!

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 09:31 PM
link   

Believing with you that religion is a matter which lies solely between man and his god, that he owes account to none other for his faith or his worship, that the legitimate powers of government reach actions only, and not opinions, I contemplate with sovereign reverence that act of the whole American people which declared that their "legislature" should "make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof," thus building a wall of separation between church and State. Adhering to this expression of the supreme will of the nation in behalf of the rights of conscience, I shall see with sincere satisfaction the progress of those sentiments which tend to restore to man all his natural rights, convinced he has no natural right in opposition to his social duties.
Thomas Jefferson. Church and State

Justice Hugo Black wrote, "In the words of Thomas Jefferson, the clause against establishment of religion by law was intended to erect a wall of separation between church and state."
Also at the link above.

ETA: In effect, seperation of church and state is a legitimate view according to Jefferson. However, the intent here is prevention. The government is not to establish an official religion by law. I believe what the courts are trying to say here is that Christian symbolism placed by government, and on public property is a violation of the intent of the amendment to the effect of "opinion". Or in other words, that our governing bodies are outwardly supporting one certain religion over another. Which can be misconstrued as an indirect "establishment of religion." Just my take on it.

edit on 6-1-2011 by Klassified because: ETA

edit on 6-1-2011 by Klassified because: Clarity

edit on 6-1-2011 by Klassified because: punctuation

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 09:36 PM
link   
What does this have to do with the rest of the world?

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 09:37 PM
link   
reply to post by noahproductions

Grow up. It's happening all over the world. India ring any bells?

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 10:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Ellen15

Ellen, prehaps you missed this in the OP.

Things like this..................

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 10:27 PM
link   
i think your thread may actually (inadvertently) succeed in making the claim of your title "what is wrong with the world".

see: a buncha folks are going to start bickering back and forth about the nonsense you have posted in your OP and, to me, this IDIOTIC finger-pointing is indeed something that has gone very wrong in our world.

so, ultimately you have proven your point. but i give you (and your overinflated sense of entitlement) no credit for doing so.

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 11:00 PM
link   
One thing I never understood. Christ gets nailed to a cross/tree where he is left to bleed to death for hours in agonising pain. A couple centuries later, people who have learned his lessons and adored his representation of God's word worship the symbol of his agonising death? Ah yes, the ole sacrifice bit. Perhaps, the sacrifice was actually a lesson on how deeply one should love their fellow man, that they'd be willing to die for them, not kill them.

One would think that if anything was held sacred to one who has learned Christ's lessons it would be...

Your fellow Man.

Nah, screw learning the lessons, he died so I could remain a fool, I mean sinner, er be saved.

Let those who worship idols have their idols. There is only one almighty, and it is far beyond being represented by anything as small as a cross. Look UP!!

In my opinion of course.

With Love,

Your Brother

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 11:06 PM
link   
I love this....

Let those who worship idols have their idols. There is only one almighty, and it is far beyond being represented by anything as small as a cross. Look UP!!

minus the "look up" part of course....

I'll tell you whats wrong with the world....

Selfishness....

And the promoting of the belief in Fairy tales....without any logical basis.......

Faith... in mother goose...

so to speak

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 09:42 AM
link   
How many of you can see beyond the religion in this ruling? Look at the ruling, what does it say to you? What are the ramifications?
Many of you will probably not revisit this thread but if you do, please think of these things. Look beyond the religion, look at what it means about the country and world we are living in today.

Things like a cross being taken down due to the mistreatment of the first amendment.
Sure, to many it is just a religious symbol, nothing to be worried about, many could care less. It is not about the cross at all. It is about our over reaching government. Where shall it end?

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 10:10 AM
link   

Where shall it end?

It already ended my friend, long before you were thought of. When the drafter of the Contstitution decided that he should violate the document he crafted, that is when it ended. So, it ended with the "Louisiana Purchase" done in violation of the Constitution by then President Thomas Jefferson.

Ever since, we have been living under a belief that we are shielded by the Constitution in so far as our leaders allow us to be.

I have already made my rebellion. There is nothing I value that any man has the power to take from me, thus I am free. What are you waiting for?

With Love,

Your Brother

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 10:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Akragon
I love this....

minus the "look up" part of course....

Thanks my friend. If you do not like to look up, then look down, or all around, with out and with in. God gave us an infinite amount of existence to discover.

With Love,

Your Brother

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 10:33 AM
link   
I think I see the OP's point.
If it were a symbol representing something islamic, it would stay up simply because it'd be PC to do. Anything christian, anything to do with the christian faith, and it's trampled down because, it is also the PC thing to do.
The freedom to express a religious faith in this country is still allowed, just as long as it is NOT a christian religion.

That is where we are now. An Orwellian nightmare where thought, faith, speech, and expression thereof is monitored more than a blond cheerleader through a TSA checkpoint.
edit on 7-1-2011 by beezzer because: typo

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 11:14 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Well said and thank you bezzer.
I am sure that this ruling has a lot of support from those whom do not see themselves as being "religious" and from any not of the Christian faith.
They were supported in this ruling and this ruling, like those before it, is a step.
With each supported step we come closer to the future rulings that you may not support. But by that time your support will not be wanted or needed.
Now it is all things "Christian". What is next?

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 11:19 AM
link   

..... It is about our over reaching government.....

nope. it is about your personal definition of "over reaching" which implicitly involves whatever is being reached-across. (a cross!)

edit to add:

HA! two posts ago you were pleading with people to see beyond religion. and yet in your above response to beezzer you are right back into it yourself.

pffffft. you would like to think that your are making some kind of grand statement about whats wrong with the world. but the joke is on YOU.
edit on 7-1-2011 by tgidkp because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 11:27 AM
link   

reply to post by beezzer

Well said and thank you bezzer.
I am sure that this ruling has a lot of support from those whom do not see themselves as being "religious" and from any not of the Christian faith.
They were supported in this ruling and this ruling, like those before it, is a step.
With each supported step we come closer to the future rulings that you may not support. But by that time your support will not be wanted or needed.
Now it is all things "Christian". What is next?

My friend,

When I walked with Wiccans, nude through a public park, where were you to support me?
When I smoked cannabis with a medicine man, where were you to support me?
When I plead the case of the Muslims to erect their mosque where they see fit, where were you?
When I marched with the gay and lesbian protestors to grant them the right to marry, where were you?

It would seem that Christians have time and again been afforded the chance to stand up against oppression, yet chose not to because they were the oppressors.

So, now I think you will find the meaning of...

You reap what you sow.

And of course, if the shoe doesn't fit, do not put it on.

With Love,

Your Brother
edit on 7-1-2011 by IAMIAM because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join