It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Really Amps People? - a Writing Contest [WRAP] [Winners announced]

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 10:39 PM
link   
I’m sorry but I’m a little confused on what the subject actually is.

The heading is...What really amps people? Does that mean it has to be a subject that gets people worked up, angry and wound up?

Then you say...Here is your opportunity to put your most heartfelt thoughts into words.
So does that mean the subject should be something close to my heart or something that gets on my goat? And that it should be written as if I was writing in a diary?

If so then I've got nothing.

I started writing a story as if you were sitting there with the narrator and they were talking to you about their life. Then I came back into the thread to make sure I was on topic, and i still cant make sence of it.
I’m so confuses.

Can someone please enlighten me?

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 03:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Whateva69
The heading is...What really amps people? Does that mean it has to be a subject that gets people worked up, angry and wound up?

Worked up, angry and wound up works, if that's what you're all about. Some members I've read on here certainly seem to be nothing but that. Others I'd say they were passionately involved about many other things, like certain music, books, guns, lifestyles, religions, activities, sports, cars, pets, horses, home decorating, art, radio show hosts, new gadgets, space exploration, river rafting... oh, geez, I could go on forever.

Then you say...Here is your opportunity to put your most heartfelt thoughts into words.
So does that mean the subject should be something close to my heart or something that gets on my goat? And that it should be written as if I was writing in a diary?

First of all, yes, it can be close to your heart, as in loving it OR close to your gall, as in hating it. Maybe it's all in your head, like if you are fascinated by numerology or in your gut, like it makes your stomach turn. All of those things and likely more.

Secondly, no, it doesn't have to be like a diary if you don't want it to be. It can be, like I said, a parable, a poem, an observation or any other form of getting a message across.

If so then I've got nothing.

Welcome to the world of creativity.
There are complete weeks where I stare at a blank canvas and have no idea what I'm going to do with it. Eventually some idea comes along, usually because of an event in my life that inspires me.

I started writing a story as if you were sitting there with the narrator and they were talking to you about their life. Then I came back into the thread to make sure I was on topic, and i still cant make sence of it.
I’m so confuses.

Can someone please enlighten me?

Enter the story you have written into the contest. If it passes according to the basic rules listed in the OP, then it's at least a start. If you decide it's not good enough and you want to replace it with another attempt, let me know and I'll replace the old with the new.

If I was to list ALL of the things that 'AMP' me, the post would likely exceed 1,000,000 words and that would not be according to the rules. Want me to start talking about my wife and my kids? They amp me up. My cat? Yup. My hobbies? Yup. My passions? Oh, God, where do I start?

All I can suggest to you is to write what you know. It can be tied to any emotion you like and certainly does not have to be solely connected with anger.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Hmm I have so many different potential ideas.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 02:01 PM
link   
This is great! It's like after more than a year I am discovering a whole new side to ATS.

And I like it!!

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 03:12 PM
link   
reply to post by westcoast

Here's some reading pleasure for you. It's all the Short Story contest winners lumped together in one thread.

Whatever 3 best stories are chosen in this contest will be added to the list.

Enjoy.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 03:37 PM
link   
reply to post by masqua

Thank you for the link. I will have to read it later, as I just spent my whole morning totally engulfed in writing my short story. It is a true account of a life-changing experience that ultimately lead me to ATS.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by masqua
There you are.
thats meeeee!

Thousands of you.
they're all me? now I'm scared.

(and, yes, that means no profanity)
hehehe ok.

All successfully entered submissions will receive Writer Status.
I'm back, bahahahahahah!

Sounds like this will be an interesting competition, I look forward to reading what people come up with

-B.M

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 08:13 PM
link   
reply to post by masqua

...one million word max?...

...how would you post such a big story?... there used to be a word count box on the reply box but its not there anymore... so how do i know if i'm trying to post too many words in one post?...

...also - lets say it took 10 posts to tell your story, is there anyway to prevent others from posting comments until you're finished?...

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 08:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wyn Hawks
reply to post by masqua

...one million word max?...

...how would you post such a big story?... there used to be a word count box on the reply box but its not there anymore... so how do i know if i'm trying to post too many words in one post?...

Here you go.

...also - lets say it took 10 posts to tell your story, is there anyway to prevent others from posting comments until you're finished?...

Take 10 posts, that's no problem. The best way is to have your story typed up on notepad or whatever you'd prefer first. Then you can post them quickly and no-one would have a chance to slip a post in-between. That's what I do anyways...

On the million words... you know I'm just kidding, right?

edit on 11/1/11 by masqua because: well...because

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 09:12 PM
link   

Here you go.

...i wasnt clear... lemme try again...

...how many words can i post at one time in one post?...

On the million words... you know I'm just kidding, right?

...no, i took you seriously... how do you feel about 60,000-70,000 words?...

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 09:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wyn Hawks
...i wasnt clear... lemme try again...

...how many words can i post at one time in one post?...

I don't know. In the past, it depended on the length of your time as a member. Today, with the new ATS2010, I'm not so sure there is a limit.

Why does it matter so much? You can post as much as you can in one and then post more in successive posts if there is still a limit. The only way to prevent going over any limit there might be (and losing anything) is by trying to type it all in the post box and then finding out you can't put it all in when you hit the enter button. As I said before, use notepad or something for the writing, copy/paste it in and go from there. If it doesn't all go in, then you still haven't lost anything.

I've written some fairly wordy stories and never had to do two posts.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 10:36 PM
link   
reply to post by masqua

trust me - there is a word limit per post... Or at least there was. I went over it on my 'truth in the form of hip hop thread'. It wasn't until I got rid of a bunch of code for embedding that I managed to get it to fit into one post - I'm sorry but I don't know what the character limit actually is though. I'm not referring to the old 5000 limit - I posted the thread mid-late 2010 so it was after the changes.

-B.M
edit on 11/1/11 by B.Morrison because: (no reason given)

edit on 11/1/11 by B.Morrison because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 11:16 PM
link   

I've written some fairly wordy stories and never had to do two posts.

...okay... thx for the info...

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 12:31 AM
link   
reply to post by masqua

Ok I submitted my story, I hope it fits in with the contest, if not so be it, it was an emotional ride writing it

I’ve read everyone else’s contribution so far to the [WRAP] contest and one in particular has me eager to learn more on the subject. And that to me is a pretty cool thing.
Anyway I’m off to find some information on St Helen.

Oh if my story doent fit, give a shout and i'll try and come up with something eles.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 11:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Whateva69

Your story is great!!! I think it fits in just fine so long as it means something to you.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by B.Morrison
reply to post by masqua

trust me - there is a word limit per post... Or at least there was. I went over it on my 'truth in the form of hip hop thread'. It wasn't until I got rid of a bunch of code for embedding that I managed to get it to fit into one post - I'm sorry but I don't know what the character limit actually is though. I'm not referring to the old 5000 limit - I posted the thread mid-late 2010 so it was after the changes.

...thx for the info... i went to your thread (which, btw, the op is excellent and a whopper)... you gave me exactly what i needed know so i could decide where to chop up my story BEFORE i start posting it...

...in case anyone else is pondering the same question i had - b.morrison's op word count was 11,019, character count was 57,706 and it all fit into one post...

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 05:51 PM
link   
I guess my suggestion of writing a story out on (i.e.) notepad prior to posting has fallen on deaf ears.
It is the one sure way of posting everything without the possibility of losing a punctuation mark. If what I intend to post is more than a paragraph or two, I use notepad to type it up.
If it's less, I use the reply box, BUT, I always highlight and save prior to hitting the reply button.

Can't be too careful.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 09:16 PM
link   

I guess my suggestion of writing a story out on (i.e.) notepad prior to posting has fallen on deaf ears.
It is the one sure way of posting everything without the possibility of losing a punctuation mark. If what I intend to post is more than a paragraph or two, I use notepad to type it up.
If it's less, I use the reply box, BUT, I always highlight and save prior to hitting the reply button.

Can't be too careful.

doth my perception deceive or are you getting a little 'snappy' there Masqua?

I always do what you suggested. The first time I lost a massive post due to browser issues was the moment I began 'notepadding'. No one ignored you, your answer just didn't actually answer the dudes question, as it turns out he found out what he wanted to know himself - 57 thousand character limit.

P.L.U.R.I
-B.M

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 09:22 PM
link   
reply to post by B.Morrison

Yes... let's make this about me, shall we?

Can we get back to the contest and off the psychological scrutiny of my 'mood'? My username has nothing to do with Arizona whatsoever. Honest.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 09:34 PM
link   

reply to post by B.Morrison

Yes... let's make this about me, shall we?

Can we get back to the contest and off the psychological scrutiny of my 'mood'?
fine by me

My username has nothing to do with Arizona whatsoever. Honest.

*WOOSH*

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join