It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ivory Coast requests military assistance

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Ivory Coast requests military assistance

edition.cnn.com

BREAKING NEWS:
Britain announces it has recognized Alassane Ouattara as the democratically elected president of Ivory Coast. Details to come.

------------------

Abidjan, Ivory Coast (CNN) -- Ivory Coast's President-elect Alassane Ouattara is "confident" that military action to remove self-declared President Laurent Gbagbo is on its way, he told CNN Thursday.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 04:58 PM
link   
I won't if he will get what he asks for... Furthermore, I wonder if George Clooney is going to grab a rifle and join the fight too. lol

Lets hope the Gbagbo Administration steps down respectfully, since the people have spoken... but as history shows us, the chances of this are slim-to-none.

I'll update links as they are released.
edit on 6-1-2011 by CanadianDream420 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 11:01 PM
link   
reply to post by CanadianDream420

The people spoke with Bush's second term. Anyone grab any guns then?

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 11:34 PM
link   
best before the soldiers, international or local, sacrifice their lives in Ivory Coast, do know what their sacrifice is for.

Was it for freedom of their fellow brothers and sisters of the human race, or for the continuation of their enslavement by the Corporations.

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 12:07 AM
link   
reply to post by SeekerofTruth101

There is another thread that starts to look into this complex issue www.abovetopsecret.com...

This is my take on the situation. Many African leaders have trouble releasing power once they have it. If you look into their history this is in part because of their culture, once you became a leader that was your job until you died. Been like this for 10's to 100's of years. These are men that have good understanding of their nation and have built many contacts along the way. While democracy has brought a lot of good to the world, it does need to be adapted to the different cultural backgrounds that it is imposed upon. There is a lot of trouble and strife in Africa with the IMF and others behind some of it. To help overcome a lot of these issues I would like to see a high council of African nations, there are some moves this way but not very organised and limited power. Instead of having heads of state thrown out to the scrap heap I would like to see them have the opportunity to continue in their growth and contribution to the continent of Africa and be eligible to such a council that can help address some of the more serious and complex issues of Africa.

I am tired of seeing the pain and destruction, there must be some other way if we can step past our ego's and look for it.

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 01:34 AM
link   
Saw a news article on bbc about this guy last nite, and it occured to me they were pumping him up as a good leader to take over the goverment, but the rotten past president didnt want to step down....
I though to myself then that we were sending troops to back this guy up soon.
Now todaay heres a stinkin thread about the saame thing...
get ready! this is where well be fighting next.....its for a good cause dontcha know....
lots of juicy contracts and resources to be had here....

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 02:36 AM
link   
Don't get your tinfoil panties all ruffled, it won't be US or NATO troops used. The AU already has a Rapid Reaction Brigade formed and ready to go if and when required. They may get financial and logistic support from the West, but unless it get's really crappy we won't be going in.

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 02:44 AM
link   

Sadly the west will do nothing to help the suffering in Africa..
There is NO central Government and that's just the way the Corporations like it..

Much easier to pay off a local leader and get to their resources that way..

The poor Africans will be left to suffer until they can somehow unite under one leader, but I don't see the Corporations letting that happen...

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 02:55 AM
link   
reply to post by backinblack

What? No "central Government"? What do you mean by that? There are quite a few reasonably well run African countries, some are not granted, but to carpet an entire continent with dozens of countries as basically un-governed is pretty ignorant.

West Africa, where the Ivory Coast is, is actually quite a prosperous part of Africa, hence why ECOWAS countries, with AU approval, are forming the rapid reaction brigade.

Think before you speak, honestly....

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 02:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by stumason

What? No "central Government"? What do you mean by that? There are quite a few reasonably well run African countries, some are not granted, but to carpet an entire continent with dozens of countries as basically un-governed is pretty ignorant.

West Africa, where the Ivory Coast is, is actually quite a prosperous part of Africa, hence why ECOWAS countries, with AU approval, are forming the rapid reaction brigade.

Think before you speak, honestly....

I do think..I think the African continent has been systematically raped for many decades..
No one seems to care because everyone is making money...

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 03:11 AM
link   

do you know elections aren't chosen by the people but the leaders are already decided by the bilderberg group.
you know why i say that? because every election a leader is decided for the corporations like a user here said.

They don't work for the people, they only work for there own interests.

edit on 7-1-2011 by Agent_USA_Supporter because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 03:18 AM
link   
Did anyone see the movie "Dogs of War"? Could this be the real life answer to that?

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 03:26 AM
link   

Some places, yes, but you're blanketting a whole continent which is about as diverse as it gets!

And it is as much the Africans fault themselves as it is those "evil" corporations. If they could step back from the whole tribal/religious lines they have drawn, they might actually move forward.

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 03:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by stumason

Some places, yes, but you're blanketting a whole continent which is about as diverse as it gets!

And it is as much the Africans fault themselves as it is those "evil" corporations. If they could step back from the whole tribal/religious lines they have drawn, they might actually move forward.

Your kidding right??
Their own fault that greedy corporation saw natives still living in the bush and offered the leaders untold wealth and power if they just let them take away their dirt??

A bit simplistic but that's how it started...

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 03:40 AM
link   
reply to post by stumason

Africa? Governed? By what? Corruption?

These are african states by Transparency International, and holds the distinction of being the most corrupt:-

Somalia
Sudan
Chad
Angola
Congo
Central African republic
Kenya
Comoros
Ivory Coast
Cameroon
Mauritania
Zimbabwe
Sierra Leone
Nigeria
Uganda
Madagascar
Niger
Mozambique

....There's more, but you get the point. These are the countries and more that had kept our fellow african brothers and sisters enslaved. The authorities prefers the modern comforts given by the corporations, grew rich along with their bootlicking cronies and to hell with social expenditures.

And when blames come, they simply shift to 'Western nations' whom had corrupted them, ignoring the fact that they could have ignored the bribes from the corporations and build up their nation with integrity.

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 03:44 AM
link   

I think you see it my way..
Money and power has corrupted the majority of the continent..

We will see little or no help in Africa from the West because they already have what they want..

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 04:09 AM
link   

Nope. Not yet. There's plenty more in Africa. It is obscenely rich in resources - arable land and mineral resources. The Corporations will tell you that there's nothing left or peak of this and peak of that, but once the market price rises, they will say there's more but the prices never comes down. They had been doing it for years.

And now, these corporations are whacking Qbagdo, who had put his foot down to corruption by them, along with his military back in 2000 and suffered for it since. The Corporations aint taking it lying down, and had gotten their bootlicking african traitors to enforce military might on that small state.

No doubt they aint calling for western military aide, none of the awaken will go anymore. But guess who's footing the bill to get the african despots to march? Aint the corporations for sure, but your tax dollars, which could have paid for our youths fees to enlighten further their minds but now force out by poverty to roam the streets..

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 04:39 AM
link   
Ouattara was on BBC News last night (this morning) calling for a Special Forces strike to remove Gbagbo, if that is what has been/will be decided then let’s hope it goes smoothly.

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 12:13 PM
link   

And by what standard and measure is this "corruption" defined? Taking bribes from corporations? Giving friends places of power? Helping companies that you either own or know the CEO get certain contracts?

Every country on the planet would be included on that list, especially the US, UK and other Western powers! The only difference between the West and Africa when it comes to corruption is at least Western politicians try to hide it and are pretty good at shutting down any hint of malpractice through control of media or by taking out injunctions!

Corruption exists, yes, but you cannot keep a straight face and include Kenya in the same list as Somalia! Besides, presence of corruption does not prevent presence of Government. I stand by my assertion that there are some fairly well governed countries in Africa and that calling the entire continet "ungoverned" is just plain stupid.

Anyhoo, that's all totally off topic. The president-elect of Ivory Coast has requested assistance and by all international standards and observations he won the election. Even the IC own court declared him the winner!

With that in mind, the ECOWAS under the AU is ready to deploy a force to restore "democracy", albeit in it's African form.

That's another thing, us in the west are quite happy to judge other cultures and the way they do things against our own cultural norms and practices. I bet, though, especially if you're American, you'd take great umbridge if they did the same to you.

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 05:01 PM
link   
reply to post by stumason

With that in mind, the ECOWAS under the AU is ready to deploy a force to restore "democracy", albeit in it's African form.

Yes, African democracy..
He with the most guns wins...

new topics

top topics

join