It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Did God Create Satan?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 10:41 PM
link   
reply to post by ownbestenemy

Very interesting. Did he get any sort of answer, I wonder?
I think that the role of ha'Satan is very well represented in Job from the Hebrew perspective, which is very different than that of Christianity, and is more logical and congruent overall with the idea that GOD is love.

Here are some links to help expound on that perspective:

Introduction to Iyov

Our Sages reveal to us that ultimately there is an approach which can help us constructively accept our own misfortunes and suffering, however they make it clear that no absolute solution is available. Let us be patient in our investigations and all the more so in our conclusions. Let us have the humility and integrity to recognize and accept our own human limitations. After all, we have not the prophetic powers of Moshe nor the wisdom of Solomon and even they could not uncover the answer. It is crucial to realize that our limitations in understanding does not mean that suffering is without reason or plan. Rabbi Moshe Chaim Luzzato explains in his book Daas Tevunos that part of our reward in the world to come will be that G-d will reveal to us the meaning of every bit of pain and suffering that we experienced in our life times.

Parshas Vayera, Appreciating Avraham's Spiritual Accomplishments

The Torah states regarding the Akeidah (the binding of Yitzchak), which was the most difficult test presented to Avraham, "And it happened after these things (words) G-d (Elokim) tested Avraham and said to him...Please take your son, your only one, whom you love - Yitzchak..." It is interesting to note that the Torah uses the appellation of "Elokim" to refer to G-d, which represents the Attribute of Justice. G-d's Attribute of Justice only can come about within the context of prosecution. Satan is given a platform to prosecute, thus, activating the Attribute of Justice. Rashi cites Chazal who explain that the beginning of the verse, "And it happened after these things (words)..." alludes to satan approaching G-d in order to bring prosecution upon Avraham. Satan's prosecution was that out of the entire banquet that Avraham had made, he did not offer to Hashem even one bull. Satan asked, "How could Avraham be considered a dedicated servant if he has never brought before You an offering?" This criticism of Avraham precipitated the Attribute of Justice (Midas HaDin). This is the reason the Torah states, "...Elokim tested Avraham..."

That ties in with what this page says:

This verse refers to Ha-Satan. Remember that Ha-Satan is NOT the same being as the Christian “Satan”. Ha-Satan is an angel residing in heaven who is the accuser of mankind. He can only do the bidding of Hashem. He is not a divine being of evil as Christianity believes. However, he is a divine being in that he is an angel.

And here is a little bit to help with the difference, in general, of the Jewish outlook as compared to the mainstream churchian:

This origin of this question is built on a number of assumptions. 1) We are ENTITLED to have good things happen to us. 2) Everything that happens to us is either a reward or a punishment for something that we did. So if we behaved well, we deserve to be paid back in kind with an easy life.

Judaism has a different perspective which does not accept these assumptions. We are in this world to confront challenge, to CHOOSE to do good deeds. Every situation in which we are placed is a test, and it is our responsibility to respond with ethical behaviour and service of G-d. This is the purpose of our temporary life on earth, and the level of our success determines our place in an eternal reality.

That is also from torah.org - Why do Bad Things Happen to Good People?

And, finally, the following (from Orthodox Judaism - the Purpose of ha'Satansums it up quite well:

Satan is indeed G-d's angel (messenger) sent with the explicit purpose of making us the best we can be - challenging us to do the right thing by presenting a not-so-clear choice. Remember Deuteronomy 30 - choose between life and good, or death and evil - and we are perfectly capable of making the right choice. Satan is sent to not throw you off the righteous path, but to help you walk it in a more confident way.

Hashem gives us all our challenges in order for us to overcome them and become stronger. Only in adversity do we grow; otherwise, we would not advance at all. It doesn't mean Hashem sends Satan to drive you into evil; He sends Satan so you could choose good and therefore become more like Hashem.

The statement you quoted correctly states that evil is created only by the absence of good. Speaking in more spiritual terms, G-d is the ultimate good, and everything is G-d, so evil appears with G-dlessness. We are constantly challenged to stay on the side of light, on the side of good, on the side of G-d - that way, we are actually active participants in the process of creation.

One very glaring difference between the two perspectives is that while Judaism recognizes ha'Satan as an angel just like Christianity, they do not say that he is "fallen."

The bible also gives us a clue, as to ha'Satan's nature and purpose, through comparison of two different biblical authors writing about the exact same incident in the life of King David.

2 Samuel 24:1
And again the anger of the LORD was kindled against Israel, and he moved David against them to say, Go, number Israel and Judah.

1 Chronicles 21:1
And Satan stood up against Israel, and provoked David to number Israel.

One author calls him Satan while Samuel's author uses "the anger of the LORD" for the very same agent!

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 04:22 PM
link   
reply to post by queenannie38

I am not sure he was looking for answers. Thomas Paine's mind was made up before he wrote "The Age of Reason".

Thanks for the reads. Ill have to bookmark them for later.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 12:57 AM
link   
The bible states,some things where around before he created the earth. (referring to "why did god create satan")

The bible also states,gods master plan isnt revealed until its all almost over. (refering to "why did god create satan")

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 10:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by ownbestenemy
I have no biblical authority over the subject and I am stating things from memory. My main question still resides though:

Why is that God created Satan and then allowed Satan to grow his powers to be equal to or greater than God's?

I often wonder about that myself. Unless Satan's power has certain limitations or domains of influence? As an example, let's say Satan's influence is restricted to material influence only? Leaving other area's of providence unaffected?

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 01:56 AM
link   
Why did God create you? Just for us to be obedient to him. He is lovable.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 04:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Abovo

The influence depends on what people are open for to do. When you don't go Satans ways of evil there is no problem and Satan will have no influence in the world. What is so hard by staying true? Many await to see those w ho break through to go also. Take your stand. It are times of trouble and very hard. Parents need to teach their children and love them as who they are, but the parents need to be good too. Where is the glue in society?

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 04:27 AM
link   
Many don't realize the punishment for doing evil anymore. They will be amazed. "laughter"

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 06:20 AM
link   
Just in case, God didn't create satan disobeidient to himself. He turned out to be that way but God knew. God knows all things. Closing yourself for God has a negative impact on your life.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 07:58 AM
link   
reply to post by etherical waterwave

You can say that again. I would imagine the reason it is so hard for people to do good is because good doesn't have a payoff that can be immediately seen. It also usually entails some form of self-sacrifice which goes counter to just about every human instinct.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 08:10 AM
link   
well, good does have a payoff. Some take it in silence. Some do too but loose the power of it. Doing good while one would not appreciate it is made noticed in the intuition and then one would not make the act but do another thing.

Do you get me?

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 08:35 AM
link   
Satan is a difficult character to explain. One of the biggest taboo names in today's world. Being Jewish I view Satan as an Angel of G-d who job is to tempt humans. In the Jewish religion angels have no free will and cannot lie.
Does Judaism believe in Satan?
Who is Satan?

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by etherical waterwave
well, good does have a payoff. Some take it in silence. Some do too but loose the power of it. Doing good while one would not appreciate it is made noticed in the intuition and then one would not make the act but do another thing.

Do you get me?

No, afraid not. My intuition isn't what it used to be. Maybe you could explain exactly what you mean - in greater detail? This way the hard of hearing and short of sight can grasp what it is you really mean?

Thank you

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 03:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Abovo

Maybe I was wrong somehow.

Living life is being a good person. Evil is not life. As jesus is the way we don't do evil. Good pays off and is appreciated. Not really a subject to discuss.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 03:21 AM
link   
If there was no evil would we have the choice to follow God in life?

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 03:38 AM
link   
reply to post by kinglizard

The choice would be obvious KingLizard for with God you were born. One chooses to do evil, choosing God is not a choice.

The choice doing evil is mostly the case when one is pushed by others. Evil knows how to get its way but it is possible to stay good, to choose for love.
edit on 2011/1/19 by etherical waterwave because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 09:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by etherical waterwave
reply to post by Abovo

Maybe I was wrong somehow.

Living life is being a good person. Evil is not life. As jesus is the way we don't do evil. Good pays off and is appreciated. Not really a subject to discuss.

I agree with your opening sentence, however the second part is a little ambiguous. I regard life as evil but in a Solomonic sense. Good does payoff but ocassionally it needs a helping hand to fully materialize.

Thanks

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 10:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Abovo

I totally agree and understand what you mean with the solomonic sense of evil. One is somehow protected for it to grow further. Do you read?

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 03:16 PM
link   

I guess my point is if abandoning God is caused by evil but evil didn't exist we would have no freewill.

Freewill means choice....if the root of evil (Satan) didn't exist we would be Gods robot army with no freewill....we would have to love and follow him....God didn't want that...which is why the root of evil needs to exist....it gives us freewill.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Abovo
I often wonder about that myself. Unless Satan's power has certain limitations or domains of influence? As an example, let's say Satan's influence is restricted to material influence only? Leaving other area's of providence unaffected?

Interesting theory. If then, Satan's influence is restricted, presumably by God, why not just rid your creation of its existence?

I have to play some catch up in this thread. Glad to see some new discussion going on.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by kinglizard

I guess my point is if abandoning God is caused by evil but evil didn't exist we would have no freewill.

Freewill means choice....if the root of evil (Satan) didn't exist we would be Gods robot army with no freewill....we would have to love and follow him....God didn't want that...which is why the root of evil needs to exist....it gives us freewill.

Hello,

This is an interesting perspective i largely agree. However, what does this say about eventuality? Is the fate of mankind to be continually subject to evil or is their a progression? Will we always struggle or will their ever be a era where mankind is completely free of evil?

Thanks

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join