It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We do not have as many freedoms anymore; Its sad. I got thrown out of a mall for videotaping.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by dreamseeker
reply to post by Aggie Man

I actually looked on the sign at the doors before going and there was no posted signs. They should put signs up.

Do they need to put up signs at the entrance telling men not to go into the women's restroom? Seriously, the point is that they have rules....they are even entitled to make them up on the spot (i.e., we have the right to refuse service...). It's a shopping mall, right? Well, I would assume that the allowable activities include shopping, browsing, eating at the food court, etc. You are allowed to do the things that revolve around their business. I doubt they let biking, rollerblading, skateboarding, etc. If you are not there to put money in their pockets and at the same time are breaking rules or being a general nuisance, then why should they allow you to remain on their premises?

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by yeahright
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

On the other hand, where's protection for my right to not be videotaped? I should have the right to venture forth in a (semi) public setting without having to worry about a YouTube video showing up if I need to unobtrusively address an itch, or something.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

This brings to mind the film "People of Walmart". I am just wondering if these people agreed to allow their photos to be released? Were they approached to sign something after the filming? Were they given an incentive? Why did Walmart allow their customers to be filmed?

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 04:17 PM
link   
well, one way to solve this would be a flash mob. about 30 or so people ALL videotaping, all moving as one. they tell you to stop filming, so you put the camera down and move more toward the center of the group with more filmers popping up where you were. basicly the human shield sentiment. yet you are still cooperating when directly ordered, they just cant get EVERYONE to stop, at least untill a dozen squad-cars pull up. there are always loopholes, and we, the defenders of the information age can easily find ways around it. humans are some of the most ingenuitive when something (mostly other people) are obstacles in the way of what we seek

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 04:18 PM
link   
reply to post by habfan1968

I am actually a woman. I know I am not in the wrong at all. I use discretion when I videotape I don't film children or go to businesses that are busy like the inside of Walmart. We are talking about a run down mall that has 15 businesses. I posted this on here because I knew I would get a lot of support. This has upset me today because why should I be treated like a terrorist when I had no ill intentions at all. I hate how I was treated!

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 04:22 PM
link   

My whole point was to show how the recession has affected my area. I wanted to show the run down mall. I was only there for maybe 10 minutes or so. I still need someone to answer the question about when people go on vactions such as the mall of america should they really get permission first to take photos for vaction memories. I posted on here because I did not want the mainstream opionion.

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 04:24 PM
link   
reply to post by dreamseeker

I posted this on here because I knew I would get a lot of support. This has upset me today because why should I be treated like a terrorist when I had no ill intentions at all. I hate how I was treated!

So, sue the mall. That is the modern way. Claim you were singled out because you were a female. Claim their tactics were insulting and menacing. Claim you had monetary damage, because you could not complete your filming project. Claim you had emotional distress, because there was no warning given, no explanation for their actions, and you were extremely embarrassed from being singled out.

Should be worth at least $25k settled out of court.

If you can't change the laws, learn to exploit them.

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 04:24 PM
link   
I think this is ridiculous. I am in your corner, OP. Go back and stealth film. Did they steal your orogonal footage? Use it to open your video.

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 04:25 PM
link   

My whole point was to show how the recession has affected my area. I wanted to show the run down mall. I was only there for maybe 10 minutes or so. I still need someone to answer the question about when people go on vactions such as the mall of america should they really get permission first to take photos for vaction memories. I posted on here because I did not want the mainstream opionion.

I understand your reasoning for filming. However, security has no means of verifying your motives. What I have provided isn't mainstream opinion, it is a fact of property rights.

P.S. The Mall of America is a tourists attraction, so they give a little more latitude on film/photography. However, I would bet dollars to doughnuts that they have the same rule....it's just not enforced as strictly.
edit on 6-1-2011 by Aggie Man because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 04:25 PM
link   
BY the way it is ridculous to compare this situation to someone coming into my home and filming. They do not live in the mall; it is more or less a public space. I thought I was playing by the rules when I stayed in the halls and did not go in businesses. This business is open to the PUBLIC if they did not want us there than lock the doors!

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Why don't you just contact the mall manager, explain what you are doing and just ask for permission. It's not a vacation spot, its privately owned and you don't have the right to film there or any other private buisness if they do not want you to.

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 04:27 PM
link   
reply to post by hotbakedtater

I am glad you said that. I have all my film; it is not that great because I only got some footage. Maybe there are embrassed about the state of their mall?

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 04:29 PM
link   

No one likes to be treated like that, you did not answer the question. So you are filming a run down mall that only has about 15 stores left and you intend to post that on your you tube channel right?

I am a guy looking to rent out a shop in your area, in that mall. I come across your little you tube spot and decide based on that video I will now look somewhere else. Did you cause damage to the business of that malls' owner?

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 04:31 PM
link   

I just don't understand why they acted like I did something so wrong! We do not live our whole lives in our homes. There are other places out there. What if a tornado was coming and I was a storm chaser? What if I was remincising about the places I remembered for a film about my life because I wanted to live something behind for my grandchildren. There are so many different circumstances to look at. If I was some creepy pervert commenting on women or doing weird things that would be one thing.

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 04:33 PM
link   

That wasn't my intent. It would have been your decsion not mine. I just wanted to show a small piece of history live. I am a very deep thinker and the run down mall to me is an unsettling sign.

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 04:35 PM
link   
could you post the link to your you tube video of the footage you got with the commentary you used? I know you said you were not bothering anyone but you also said some people overheard you and agreed with your commentary.

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Sure it would be unsettling however by using it in video could you be contributing to the further demise of the mall and the area in general, people tend to go where everyone else is and don't go where no else is.

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 04:42 PM
link   

I really can't believe a day that I was going to enjoy turned out like this; this is the kind of stuff that makes me want to stay home. This is why my anxieties got worse for a while because I saw how easy it was to do something illegal. I just can't keep with all the laws out there. I have been in trouble before for driving and storm chasing, ( I got a ticket). That hobby is now gone. Keep in mind I always do things with discretion I never impede business or traffic. When I was taking pictures of the storms I was on a back road there was 0 traffic.
This kind of thing has happened to me maybe 5 times in my lifetime. Of course it all varied a little bit and it is something that ashames me about our judgemental society. One time I was taking a picture for a photography class I was asked what I was doing I explained they told me I could take a few pictures and then move along.
It seems like my hobby is one of those hobbies that may become 100% illegal someday. I would hate to only be confined to my apartment for filming, videotaping. I wish there was a web site that can tell me where I can and can't film.

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Yes I will post the you tube link and the footage is horrible due to the fact I was trying to aviod filming people. I did get some people in it and if I could filmed more I could have gotten better footage.

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 05:14 PM
link   

my footage:

www.youtube.com...

Footage I found of someone else who filmed the mall who did not state he was asked to leave:
www.youtube.com...
I wonder why this guy was allowed to film and not me?

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 05:16 PM
link   

reply to post by LadySkadi

No it is still a loss of freedom. I really believe this is more an ill of society that they would not allow me to pursue my hobby. I was not impeding business at all. I really want the people who say I should not be allowed to film at a mall to answer the question of what about when people are on vaction they film and take pictures should they not be allowed?

tourists for the most part take pictures from public places, streets walkways ect, or the places allow photographs,they dont have to allow them tho, you need to think of a mall the same way you look at your house, you own your house it is private property, someone owns that mall it is no differant then their own home, if you wish to be there you must follow their rules.

you call it a loss of freedom but it is actually protecting the property owners freedom in allowing them to choose what they allow and what they do not, i like to read books, but i doubt you would like it if i came and read my books on your couch

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join