It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nasa Names Most Realistic and Unrealistic Sci-Fi Films of All Time

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 05:32 PM
link   
reply to post by john_bmth

If you gave their budget to Ansari there would be condos for sale on the moon in five years- and yet, The Big N can't send Anyone Anywhere Anymore? (Black Budget yada yada).

Any staffer not doing realworld aerospace flight research or flight support is a barnacle on the keel.

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 10:11 PM
link   
It is said that they choose 2012 as the most unrealistic one of all time , but i don't think so , in fact , 2012 is not far from us if we keep destroy the earth...

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 05:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by satron
i agree with #1. They are requiring more and more things for you to pass to get a job. When it's cheap to genetically test an individual, they'll analyze your blood to see if your in the right field according to your ability. That day is coming.

do they have a test for armed revolutionaries, willing to die than except a world like gattica. there are already people telling the tsa to get their f**kin hands off them.

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 06:26 AM
link   
reply to post by RobertAntonWeishaupt

I can't believe they left out Predator

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 06:34 AM
link   
What fun...

I got so excited that I went the wrong direction and listed what I felt were the most realistic movies. I should have noticed I was heading the wrong way as I typed and wondered how "Killer Tomatoes" got in here.

Unrealistic scifi is something that I am beyond used to. Explosions in space (that you can hear!), post apocalyptic movies where everything is scarce, seemingly, except for muscle cars and black leather.... Yeah these films aren't hard to find.

But my vote for the most unrealistic scifi of all time has to remain Signs. Aliens who have mastered space, but who are overcome by doorknobs and simpletons with baseball bats? Highly intelligent beings who, while possessed of a fatal weakness to water, come to a planet that is mostly water?

It hurts my brain.

Also, honorable mention: Any movie that involves traveling backwards in time... over and over again. (Yeah, the Terminator franchise is fun, but these movies require that you leave basic understanding at the door.
edit on 1/7/11 by Hefficide because: I went all stupid for a second.

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 06:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

I just watched The Road for the first time the other day....thats why I say if you survive something so horrifying as a nuclear holocaust, shoot every other survivor so you don't find yourself on their dinner plate

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 06:39 AM
link   
Is'nt The Day After no:2 coming out? I watched previews on YouTube

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 06:50 AM
link   
Thinking about this...

I really have to throw my favorite movie franchise of all time, the entire Star Wars saga, under the bus here, and I am truly left wondering why NASA didn't trash at least one of these films!?!

I mean, c'mon... they are great stories and parables (Well the first three and parts of the last two, anyway) but it is almost like George Lucas had a rule about forbidding actual science from even peeking out from behind anything in the Star Wars universe.

The science in Star Wars, across the entire board, was bantha poodoo.

~Heff

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 07:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

Star Wars is science fantasy, not science fiction

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 07:48 AM
link   
NASA would be the experts on this given all the Sci-Fi films they've been making since the 50's
Stanley Kubrick being their number one director of all time,of course.

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 08:09 AM
link   
My top 2:

EQUILIBRIUM
MOON

Check em out - not so much "in the future"-based as you'd think
edit on 7-1-2011 by TXRabbit because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 08:13 AM
link   
reply to post by bluemirage5

Actually, thats 2012 no2 coming out, made a mistake

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 08:24 AM
link   
What about Capricorn one? Faked moon landings anyone and it doesn't make either list ? Touches a nerve still I think....

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 09:08 AM
link   
It's sad that Blade Runner didn't make it. Such a lovely film, but again it doesn't surprise me.

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 09:23 AM
link   
1.. Gattaca (1997)

2. Contact (1997)

3. Metropolis (1927)

4. The Day the Earth Stood Still (1951)

5. Woman in the Moon (1929)

6. The Thing from Another World (1951)

7. Jurassic Park (1993)

1. Gattaca-Transhumanis, eugenics, genetic manipulation (true)

2. Contact- not just radio waves but faster than light travel, and actual contact with sentient beings,,,not just microbes (true)

3. Metropolis (German origination Nazi technologies supernatural lush life of the Masters and the slaves). (true)

4. The Day the Earth Stood Still (stop doing what you are doing or you will be rendered useless) Here, we will prove it...we will shut off your nukes. (true)

5. Woman in the Moon ( Of course the moon is a base of operations, if you sonar it it pings not thumps.Except you still think Lear and Icke are insane) (true)
6. The thing from another world..More like the thing from a relm in space-time. The monolith (true) sorry its not a monster or sea creature with tenacles.

7 Jurassic Park (David Icke is still crazy) Right?

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 11:00 PM
link   
For me -

1. Alien
2. 2001
3. Blade Runner
4. Pandorum
5. Titan A.E.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 11:24 PM
link   
I'm pretty stunned that 2001: A Space Odyssey isn't #1. It has only one single scientific flaw in the entire film: when Dr. Floyd is in transit to the Moon, he takes a drink of something through a straw. If you look closely you can see the water descends down the straw after he is done drinking. In zero G that would not have happened, but because it was filmed on earth in one gravity, that could not be helped (I think they didn't even notice it until later, actually). Otherwise, all of the science is completely accurate.

Gattaca is also a very good choice for #1. It really gets the science right, though it's a bit hard to believe that Ethan Hawke's character could really avoid keeping every single cell of skin or hair off his keyboard and workspace to avoid detection. But otherwise, the science is very believable.

For the record, Blade Runner is my favorite sci-fi film of all time, and probably my favorite film (though 2001 is pretty close, too).
edit on 3/1/2011 by LifeInDeath because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2011 @ 07:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by LifeInDeath
I'm pretty stunned that 2001: A Space Odyssey isn't #1. It has only one single scientific flaw in the entire film: when Dr. Floyd is in transit to the Moon, he takes a drink of something through a straw. If you look closely you can see the water descends down the straw after he is done drinking. In zero G that would not have happened, but because it was filmed on earth in one gravity, that could not be helped (I think they didn't even notice it until later, actually). Otherwise, all of the science is completely accurate.

Gattaca is also a very good choice for #1. It really gets the science right, though it's a bit hard to believe that Ethan Hawke's character could really avoid keeping every single cell of skin or hair off his keyboard and workspace to avoid detection. But otherwise, the science is very believable.

For the record, Blade Runner is my favorite sci-fi film of all time, and probably my favorite film (though 2001 is pretty close, too).
edit on 3/1/2011 by LifeInDeath because: (no reason given)

What did you think of the original Alien? As far as I know it was the most original alien creature and realistic alien creature ever depicted, and was unlike the others since it wasn't sapient and was merely an extremely dangerous predator.

posted on Mar, 3 2011 @ 02:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Davian
What did you think of the original Alien? As far as I know it was the most original alien creature and realistic alien creature ever depicted, and was unlike the others since it wasn't sapient and was merely an extremely dangerous predator.

I love Alien, but it's not very scientifically realistic, probably. The ship has artificial gravity, which may well not be even remotely possible - it's the kind of thing scientists, at least today, will say is probably not within the realm of physics. Now, of course in a thousand or a million years we may figure out a way to do it, who knows, but if we are talking about 'hard science fiction' movies, that's one of the things that's going to get you points deducted from your score.

Another problem is that the alien is essentially bipedal and from a scientific standpoint, there's no reason to assume that such an arrangement would be a likely form in an alien creature. They did a cool thing by giving the aliens their weird, three-stage reproduction process (well, the third stage with the queen was added in Aliens), but the pod, to face-hugger, to implanted alien bursting out of the chest was a good way to convey the difference and strangeness of the species. But making it bipedal (while it looked cool), was kind of going away from being more hard sci-fi by trying to envisage a truly unique alien being, and the entire systems and eco-system that might have created it.
edit on 3/3/2011 by LifeInDeath because: (no reason given)

<< 1  2   >>

join