It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Moonwalk one, documentary about Apollo 11

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 01:39 PM
link   

very good documentary about Apollo 11

Let's find some interesting things

Forward to 0:45:20, for example
They are sewing the spacesuit with needle and thread. Amazing.

Needle and thread against the vacuum of space. Wow. Just wow.

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by conar
Forward to 0:45:20, for example
They are sewing the spacesuit with needle and thread. Amazing.

Needle and thread against the vacuum of space. Wow. Just wow.

Lol I love it.
edit on 6-1-2011 by loagun because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 02:16 PM
link   
"I made boxing gloves before I came here, and fact was I was an experienced sewer. But I had to learn all over again, because Ummmmm, it was completely different from what I had sewed before. This was getting right down to a 64th of an inch, and where I had sewed before you just sewed on a production line and this here is,
Ummmmmmmmm, quality more then quantity."

Well yes, imagine that. Before she was chosen to sew the suites that would be worn into space to protect the astronauts from the extremely hazardous radiation exposure she was just working on a production line where quality wasn't even a burden on her shoulder.

What a lucky, lucky woman to have been randomly selected from a sweat shop for this special, special project. How lovely.

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 03:41 PM
link   
reply to post by loagun

"... suites (sic) that would be worn into space to protect the astronauts from the extremely hazardous radiation exposure..."

WHAT "extremely hazardous radiation exposure"?! Could you quantify or clarify that for us? Reference?

Deny Ignorance...

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 08:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Saint Exupery

Solar flares and cosmic rays. The sun, even when quiet, kicks out a fair amount of nasty energetic particles and high energy photons, which is bad enough; when it is flaring up there is a lot more gamma and xray, followed by torrents of particles coming at very high speed.

High energy particles and photons coming from deep space are pretty much a constant as well. Generally, without an atmosphere or any form of protection you are going to be irradiated like a sausage in a breeder

Just about to watch doc. Looking forward to it! Thanks for posting

edit on 6/1/11 by strangequark because: clarity

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 08:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Saint Exupery

The Van Allen radiation belt.... *rolls eyes*

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 02:03 PM
link   
reply to post by loagun

The astronauts were inside the spacecraft and not wearing those EVA suits when they went through the Van Allen Belts. It was the craft that provided them the protection.

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 12:30 AM
link   
My point was that the radiation environment in space really isn't hazardous for short-duration trips like the Apollo EVAs. More than 40 probes prior to the Apollo missions measured and verified the levels were nothing like "a sausage in a breeder". Thus radiation protection was not a major design criterion for the EVA suits, when compared to thermal control and puncture protection..

top topics

join