It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Facebook 'friends' mock 'suicide' of woman who posted goodbye message

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Facebook 'friends' mock 'suicide' of woman who posted goodbye message

www.telegraph.co.uk

Simone Back, 42, posted a last message on the social networking site at 10.53pm on Christmas Day saying: "Took all my pills be dead soon bye bye everyone."

Some users of the site even taunted the 42-year-old over her final status update instead of trying to save her, calling her a “liar” and saying the fatal overdose was “her choice”.

Yesterday her mother, Jennifer Langridge, said she was shocked and upset that nobody did anything for her daughter despite being aware of her threats.

Mental health charities said the case was a sad reflection on today’s society where frie
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.telegraph. co.uk

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 12:44 PM
link   
I have to say it... as I am sure many of you thought it also...

With Friends like these.... who needs enemies.

Another sad tale and Facebook. Amazes me how people rely on that site for friendship/companionship etc. Sad but yet it is what our country is like now.

Last weekend my son got blown off by a girl and he goes... I'm gonna text her and find out what's going on!

I was like Text? Why don't you just call her. He looked at me with the oddest look and eventually said--- That isn't how it is done now.

I started to laugh and said that maybe he need to reconsider his dating techniques. that is all i see anymore with the younger group. Text and Facebook--- and tweets.

Just not for me.

Too bad. The young lady was screaming for help but no one was listening.. or could tell that she was. The link is about the mother

www.telegraph.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 12:51 PM
link   
I don't know why anyone does the whole facebook/twitter thing. It's not for me. But if you're going to do it, you better make sure that you have a thick skin and realize that you're opening yourself up to the widest section of people possible, so you're going to come across some crazies. Very sad...

I don't think they have moderators to provide a safe place for people to congregate and associate. Thank God for moderators.

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Although what they did was wrong, why would you ever post something like that on your facebook? I'm surprised most people didn't think it was just a facebook rape.

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 12:56 PM
link   
Well if the girl was going to kill herself anyways

and she already took the pills side from being rushed to
the hospital in enough time to get charcoaled your dead.

So no one can actually stop anyone from suicide.

Since when was it facebook and the people on facebooks
responsibility from stopping a suicidal crazy women...

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 12:57 PM
link   
I certainly find disgust in the comments left by her friends. However, if I saw the same message on one of my friends facebook, then I would likely do nothing about it. I'm a strong proponent of free will. It was her life...and her's to take.

Either way, it's a sad story.

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by anon72

This is just a very graphic example of what American culture is becoming as a result of the www.

Personal contact will get more rare as the fear index is raised by the overloards and perhaps; rightly so!

Want to see the future... Read the fiction of William Gibson

It's a brave new world; welcome to the monkey house.

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 01:03 PM
link   
That is sad, but you definitely have to question her choices in whom she "Friended".

Facebook is like anything else; what you get out of it depends on how you use it, and how well you use it. There are lots of settings to limit who can see or post on your FB page, so ultimately it is up to the user.

My lady and I both are on FB and find it an interesting and easy way to share photos of the cats, reunite with people we went to college with, and sometimes just jabber with a gaggle of our friends around the country and world (real friends we know) about what's going on in the news.

I suspect this lady was lonely and just "friended" anyone she came across while playing some of the silly games that FB offers.

Sad, but not an indictment of Facebook itself, just some of the immature jerks who also use it.
edit on 6-1-2011 by mydarkpassenger because: spelln

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 01:06 PM
link   
reply to post by thecinic

It's anyone's responsibility with the knowledge that she was going to commit suicide. Had even one of them called the Authorities with just a name (if the girl had a drivers license) then perhaps she could have been in time to be charcoal or stomach pumped or whatever. It's people's responsibility to look out for each other. We are all in this together after all. Since when was it not every person's responsibility to look out for their neighbor?

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
I don't know why anyone does the whole facebook/twitter thing. It's not for me. But if you're going to do it, you better make sure that you have a thick skin and realize that you're opening yourself up to the widest section of people possible, so you're going to come across some crazies. Very sad...

I agree that FB is a worthless time sucking entity, but I do see possible value of having it if one chooses the contacts wisely and with purpose. If it's for business, keep it business (though I'd think a professional site is better idea). If it's for family, keep it for family only. I do not see any value in mixing the two. I see zero value in "friending" any random person out there and I see zero value in public profiles. As with all things we are faced with now, choose wisely...

As for the story, sad but not surprising...

edit on 6-1-2011 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 01:08 PM
link   
I believe most people just befriend people on social networks because they're curious and voyeurstic. When you're on those social networks you will always get some friends request from people you know don't like you, or people you hardly even know. It's mostly fake interest. At least that's how I see it.

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 01:09 PM
link   
If some of my friends put that on my facebook, i'd probably say the same things some of these people said (probably worse). I guess it depends on who says it. People joke around so much on facebook, hard to know what feelings are real or not.

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 01:09 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

It was in the UK that it happened

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by DaMod
reply to post by thecinic

It's anyone's responsibility with the knowledge that she was going to commit suicide. Had even one of them called the Authorities with just a name (if the girl had a drivers license) then perhaps she could have been in time to be charcoal or stomach pumped or whatever. It's people's responsibility to look out for each other. We are all in this together after all. Since when was it not every person's responsibility to look out for their neighbor?

I agree. If she had had one real friend on there, with her phone number, they could have called her and then maybe called the authorities who could have back-tracked her address using the phone number.

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 01:12 PM
link   
They always censor my posts to this site. Just more Nazis. As long as you only talk about football , ultimate fighting and beer.

Or humiliate someone to death. SnF

edit on 6-1-2011 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

edit on 6-1-2011 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by mydarkpassenger
Facebook is like anything else; what you get out of it depends on how you use it, and how well you use it. There are lots of settings to limit who can see or post on your FB page, so ultimately it is up to the user.

I wasn't aware that people could be so discerning. That's good. If they use the settings, I can understand it better.

Sad, but not an indictment of Facebook itself, just some of the immature jerks who also use it.

Agreed.

Originally posted by DaMod
It's anyone's responsibility with the knowledge that she was going to commit suicide.

I disagree. She was 42 years old. In my opinion, if she didn't want to live, it's HER choice and HER responsibility. No one should be held responsible when a person decides they don't want to live anymore. I am also a strong proponent of free will.

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 01:16 PM
link   
reply to post by anon72

What a sad story....

A middle-aged woman who told her 1,048 Facebook "friends" that she had taken an overdose was found dead the next day after none came to her aid.

My only FB friends are the ones I know fairly well *personally* from past/present FACE to FACE interactions. The fact that she had over one thousand "friends" makes one wonder if she really had even met these so called "friends" in person, ever....

Graham Bell, from the Brighton and Hove Depression Alliance, said: “People need to be friends in the real world as well as in the online world.”

I totally agree! I would never "friend" someone on FB that I didn't know in the "real world."
I must admit; it sometimes seems trivial (like a competition for how many friends you have on FB--I only have several hundred)...but it is a great tool for keeping up with family/friends not in your immediate vicinity (out of state or overseas) without having to personally email, or call each person.

I really feel horrible for this middle-aged woman who had so many FB friends; yet, none checked on her REAL LIFE status...

edit on 6-1-2011 by sonjah1 because: spellin'

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Gee.

You'd think with 1,087 "friends" she'd he happy as a clam and love life.

What a stupid culture we have.

That's all I have to say.

Have a nice day everyone, don't forget to update your "status" to something witty and vain today.

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Such a shame - most people I know have 500/600 "friends" on facebook - which seem to be anyone you ever went to school with, worked with 8 years ago, met at a training course, see in the pub every 6 months, ie not an actual friend, yet must make them feel more popular!?
Perhaps highlighted by the very "giving" responses posted on this persons page - because there not real friends.
I have a total of 47 friends - each and every one of them is either family or an actual friend who I talk to in the real world occasionally.
I also restrict my profile so only my friends can see it (not even friends of friends) as I only want to share information with such people.

Never gone on twitter - think thats one of the worst things ever. People tweeting endlessly about the fact they're drinking a coffee, or scratching their ass, etc, seriously people - get over yourself, no one actually cares?
Unless you have something interesting or important to say keep it to yourself.
All of it drives me insane - several friends on FB do this, posting that they have ordered a pizza, so I removed them as friends or hidden them if family so as not to offend, but I dont want to read such mindless drivel and mundane details about peoples lives? Not sure about anyone else...

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Last year when I was a member on Twitter.. not any more.... A 'friend' I had only 'known' for a short while posted a similar message on her blog....

All of us went into detective mode and hunted down her relatives and her address anything we could do.

She was found and her life was saved... only just..... She is SO grateful and vowed to change her life and has and we still chat but on another site.

She had NO ONE to turn to... her only avenue for help was her blog that sent an alert to twitter that she had posted a new blog post.... She is an amazing person who is now in therapy and living life to the full...

If it wasn't for twitter and us... she would be dead and her children would be orphans as they have no daddy....

I don't understand suicide and think it is a selfish cruel thing to do... but having had a few friends in real life and also a step father kill themselves I know how hard it is for families...

What a shame no one got to her and gave her the help she needed...

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join