It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

God was behind Big Bang, pope says

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 04:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Ben81

I always thought that the "Big Bang" was a theory.

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by cluckerspud
reply to post by Ben81

indeed

big bang is theorical when we ask ourself
who created the universe that have so many galaxies and trillions of planets

a mighty big explosion .. its plausible
do we have any other theories on how the univers started ??

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ben81

indeed

big bang is theorical when we ask ourself
who created the universe that have so many galaxies and trillions of planets

a mighty big explosion .. its plausible
do we have any other theories on how the univers started ??

I think we should prove the "theory" before we decide who is behind it.
Just saying.

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 04:46 PM
link   
It's a darn good job he wasn't in front of it, else he'd be splattered all over the universe!

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 04:48 PM
link   
I have to laugh at all the people saying their is no evidence for a creator because there is also no evidence there isnt one... fact it YOU DONT KNOW because it can not be proven
when it comes to science you can always ask - what came before that?
with religion you can always ask - what came before that?

NO ONE knows if there is a creator or not and people who think science or religion can answer this question are not denying ignorance. Someone who believes in god does not know if god is a function of their brain, an atheist however can also not provide answers from science because without a god you can always ask what came before that... or did all this come from nothing... not very scientific if you ask me!

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by byteshertz
I have to laugh at all the people saying their is no evidence for a creator because there is also no evidence there isnt one...

There's also no evidence that three-legged pink unicorns (an idea far less ridiculous than book gods imo) exist in Antarctica, but there's also no evidence that they don't exist. Thus it's 50/50?
edit on 6-1-2011 by rhinoceros because: rephrasing

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 05:10 PM
link   
Is it for real that the pope said that God was behind the Big Bang ?!
He was not kidding whihe saying this, right ?
I'm in shock, right now, people !

A thing like this only suppose to happen in "South Park," not in real life.

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 05:21 PM
link   
The pope telling christians around the world what to think isnt a new idea.

As for a creative mind at work in the universe, well again, its not a new thought or even a solely religous theory that the universe was not a chance occurance...so why this pronouncement being made by this paticular human being would carry as much or any more weight than a scholar with the degrees *to* know, like Einstein saying the same thing about " God not throwing the dice' and even Hawkins giving leway to evidence of a 'creative force' at work decades ago, is beyond me.

That this particular man could presume to know or allued to *knowing* the mind of God and how that mind works, is sheer arrogance - imo. Ive never met a scientist who would claim or presume such a thing...results of their own research if not personal humility would keep them from doing so.

Also...and as science doesnt claim omnicience, even today 33 top scientists are openly questioning the validity of big bang theory..see here:www.cosmologystatement.org... which they are free to do only as they keep an open mind to the possibilities....and arent presuming to be Gods voice.

An Open Letter to the Scientific Community

Cosmology Statement.org (Published in New Scientist, May 22-28 issue, 2004, p. 20)

The big bang today relies on a growing number of hypothetical entities, things that we have never observed-- inflation, dark matter and dark energy are the most prominent examples. Without them, there would be a fatal contradiction between the observations made by astronomers and the predictions of the big bang theory.

In no other field of physics would this continual recourse to new hypothetical objects be accepted as a way of bridging the gap between theory and observation. It would, at the least, RAISE SERIOUS QUESTIONS ABOUT THE VALIDITY OF THE UNDERLYING THEORY.

So the pope is in fact "laying claim" in Gods name, to this theory is an error - he is taking it as 'fact' when its only..and only ever was.... an unprooven THEORY!
See the " Big Bang religion" here: home.pacbell.net...

I wont take on board anything that comes with a 'directive' that tries to make me think a certain way let alone those that use passive agressive peer pressure to compel ppl to think a certain way ' in order to be included' - no matter where it comes from. No group, or person, has the right to usurp peoples right *and* responsibility to choose their views for themselves.

R

edit on 6-1-2011 by Rosha because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 05:27 PM
link   
reply to post by byteshertz

Although I posted the smart-assed comment above your own, I personally do believe in a Creator even though I can't prove it. It's more of a "feeling" or "knowing" within me, then when I ask myself where did he/she/it come from, I just don't have an answer. Who or what created the Creator? It's also my belief that whom or whatever created us, would also populate other worlds with lifeforms, and that those lifeforms don't neccessarily look like any we know of here on Earth. Perhaps we're part of an experiment in evolution, with slight adjustments being made every couple of thousand years or so. Oh well... I'll probably learn more after my time here on Earth is done!

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 05:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by the_0bserver85
Is it for real that the pope said that God was behind the Big Bang ?!
He was not kidding whihe saying this, right ?
I'm in shock, right now, people !

A thing like this only suppose to happen in "South Park," not in real life.

lol

What about the last important Vatican quote .. concerning that its okay beleiving in Aliens

and now this .. that the univers was possibly unaturaly made

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by cluckerspud
reply to post by Ben81

I think we should prove the "theory" before we decide who is behind it. Just saying.

The word "theory" does not mean that it is not proven. Germ theory of disease and theory of relativity are not any less true because they are called theories.

en.wikipedia.org...

Hypothesis is what an unproven explanation is called.

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 05:50 PM
link   
The universe is the result of chance. Think about it,

Yes the possibilities of the Earth being so close to the sun are quite low.
Yes the possibilities of our position in the galaxy is low.
Yes the possibilities of all the circumstances requried for our existence was low.

But we are here to discuss "why" for that reason. It was going to happen inevitably in a seemingly vast universe populated by trillions of planets. Just because something is so "rare" does not mean that a God had to create it.

Again, if this had not happened, we would not be here to discuss about it. The argument of "chances too low = god created us" is flawed for that purpose. We are just a cosmic fart.
edit on 6-1-2011 by Somehumanbeing because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ben81
just look at Earth .. a little to close and to far from the sun .. and no life would had been possible
another chance ??

Whilst I like your thread, I too believe religeon and science can go hand in hand, this point you raise can be answered as so.........think of the billions of stars in the universe, and think of how many of them have planets orbiting them, it is reasonable to assume that at least one would have been in the habital zone, and as a result life sprang forth and multiplied.
edit on 6/1/11 by woogleuk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 05:55 PM
link   
This has been a personal quote of mine for years...

What if God blew himself up in the Big Bang?

really what if he used his powers to make something and blew himself up? well he is not around to help anyone.
edit on 6-1-2011 by Optix because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 05:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Ben81

I'm not talking about aliens... Not this time.

I'm talking about a creative force that just creates and nothing else - no judgements, no playing favorites, no being ostentatious - it just is.

That's what "god" should be. The gods of the Abrahamic religions and the religions themselves are created and run in such a way that they take responsibility and accountability away from people: If you repent you are forgiven (are you kidding me?!), or by people saying "God did it" or "Satan did it". No accountability. Promises of heaven for not being a good person - but only by accepting said god as lord and savior.

But the pope has to try to monopolize the creative force by putting a label on it and claiming it as their (The Vatican's own) god.

This is BS and that's why I can't stand the Abrahamic religions. People will continue to be stagnant or go backwards unless we stop taking religion so seriously and taking responsibility FOR OURSELVES.

^^^^ That's pretty noble and humble, right? But not according to fundamentalists; - I'm still going to hell! Burn, baby! Burn!
edit on 1/6/2011 by impaired because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Optix
This has been a personal quote of mine for years...

What if God blew himself up in the Big Bang?

really what if he used his powers to make something and blew himself up? well he is not around to help anyone.
edit on 6-1-2011 by Optix because: (no reason given)

never though of that
but it is extremelly farfetched
after he blew himself up to make life (sacrifice) he became ascended and created a heaven for the souls
who dont have a body anymore

yeah its plausible

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 07:17 PM
link   
Maybe the Pope's right

Maybe the Fibonacci system is a coincidental happening to our Universe that is amongst trillions+ Universes that succeeds in this way.

Maybe there's trillions of Universes that function upon different systems.

Maybe I invented it all.

Maybe you did.

Maybe she did.

Might be it's all a story in a book.

Tooo many maybes. It could be owt, even when we start to understand, we are still milliions of years from the full truth, if that is ever possible. It's nice to know some more though, even better to drop-jaw in awe.

Enjoy because we will never understand.

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Condemned0625

Originally posted by journey2010
reply to post by Condemned0625

You say, "How can a deity exist infinitely into the past..." I cannot prove this through science, hence faith. But I will challenge you with this... "How can everything we are/will be/have been" be created from nothing?" Again, no answer. And if there was "something", then where did it come from? Either way you look at it, there has always had to be something in order to create everything we know. Neither of us can prove what that "something" is - whether it is science or religion, a certain amount of faith must exist in the fact that there has always been "something".

That's simple. Abiogenesis. It has been demonstrated in laboratories. Scientists can create organic matter from non-organic matter. They're not creating something from nothing, but it still proves that we can assemble non-living material in such a way that it becomes the building blocks of a living thing. Maybe there always was something, but it still needs a beginning. Science does not claim to know the definite answer to that question, but it does explain how this universe began. Nobody knows if matter can always have existed, but the same applies to a god. Just because science does not yet know the answer does not mean religion has the right to assert it has the answer. These gods and goddesses require explanations, beginnings and most importantly, evidence. I have no faith. I either know the answer or I don't know the answer, which means I'm honest. Faith is the belief in something without evidence to support it. However, I do have hope for certain things, but hope is not asserting something without evidence; it is simply wishing for something to happen or come true.

Abiogenesis only refers to the beginnings of life.

Abiogenesis is not relevant to the formation of the universe. That study comes under cosmology.

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 07:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Ben81

The Pope, by saying the big bang and evolution can be accepted by Catholics, just wants to attract more people to Catholicism by holding the door open for those repelled by the idiocy of fundamentalists who insist on the rejection of scientific explanations of origins.

It's not truth he's after; he's just using an apparent acceptance of a measure of truth to promote Catholicism.

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 07:26 PM
link   
There are no coincidences.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join