It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Republican Leadership Bail on Reading of the Constitution the First LIE and FAILURE of the 112th Con

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by links234
reply to post by ararisq

By that line of thinking they shouldn't even be in the chamber during the annual state of the union address.

I couldn't agree more - its a sign of consideration for the President.

Ultra-conservative Scalia even admits that we don't need a constitution for certain things.

You don't need a constitution to keep things up-to-date.

Yep, thats pretty much how the constitution works - its the base document that defines the country and the rights of the people to be protected from the state - it restricts the state (not the people). It defines the branches of government and how laws are to be considered, voted on, and passed. The laws are intended to restrict the people and must meet the requirements of the constitution. Do I seriously need to explain this? Are you an American citizen?

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Look - do away with the constitution and the government itself is not restricted at all from how it can treat the people - for a long time it (the government - not the constitution) treated people as 3/5ths of a human, it denied the people the right to liberty, the right to vote, and so on. Its construct provided a method of amendment such that the people could rise up and revise it to force the government to behave and act differently. Without it - we're all subject to the elected, but primarily unelected officials which are in power.

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Also one of their first acts was to remove the power of Congressional Delegates from Guam, the CNMI, American Samoa, and Puerto Rico from having voting power.

Maybe they will sell them to China to forgive some of the Federal Debt?

If those Republicans want to follow the Constitution and law how about they arrest Colin Powell for admitting to a felony on National TV? Said he uses his military retirement check to hire illegal immigrants to work on his house instead of American workers.

No? Not going to hold Colin Powell accountable? Didn't think so.

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pervius
No? Not going to hold Colin Powell accountable? Didn't think so.

Wasn't the DNC in complete power for the last 2 years? Powell Voting for Obama

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 01:42 PM
link   
And yet...I'm just not surprised.

What does this say about the leadership of the republican party?

It says these people have not changed, will not change, and when the
country is coming down around our ears they'll be laughing all the way
to the bank while holding hands with their democratic "opposition".

Screw the 112thers. They don't get it, they're not going to get it.

Folks, buy food, buy ammo for protection(get some more bullets WUK)
'cause the house is on fire and we're gonna have to do some camping.

While I have been hopeful of the presence of SOME Tea Party candidates
The fact remains that government is not the answer. With or without the TP
movement Washington will be Washington. So from this point I'm conducting
business as if those vipers don't exist.
edit on 6-1-2011 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

edit on 6-1-2011 by projectvxn because: Hell must've totally frozen over WUK!

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by ararisq

You do need to explain it, because there are people who whole heartedly believe that what's not specifically stated in the constitution is unconstitutional.

Make a law within the realm of the constitution? Unconstitutional because it's not specifically stated as such.

Constitutional libertarians seem to be of the idea that the ONLY law there is is that of the constitution. You do need to explain it. PLEASE, explain it.

I can't wait to hear the arguments over the next two years about what some members portray as constitutional and not constitutional, seeing as Speaker Boehner is requiring that bills presented must detail their constitutionality to be considered.

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 02:14 PM
link   
reply to post by links234

What isn't mentioned in the Constitution has it's place in the Constitution as well. If the Feds don't have the authority it goes to the states or to the people as per the 9th and tenth amendments.

The Feds can't just do what they want. And the Constitution is not arbitrary.

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 03:39 PM
link   
As OutKast Searcher said, if Obama had walked out during a reading of the Constitution this board would have exploded with conservative members screaming for Obama's head on a pike. But somehow we are supposed to forgive GOP members for leaving during a reading of the Constitution.

Something they pledged to do, and they can't even be bothered to stay?

The GOP was elected with the premise of being held to a higher standard, that was the point of reading the Constitution on the floor. YET the SPEAKER of the House can't even be bothered to stay for the whole thing?

I can understand Boehner wanting a larger gavel than his predecessor, I mean there's that whole making up for other "inadequacies" thing. It's perfectly understandable.

But the fact that they couldn't even accomplish this one small entirely ceremonial act without failure, makes me wonder what other failures they are bound to make.

Weren't they supposed to repeal that "hideous Obamacare" day one of the new congress? Well, let's chalk that up as LIE and FAILURE number 2 of the 112th Congress.

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 05:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by whatukno
Another question is...

How much did this little political stunt cost the American People? How much are we paying these congressmen to waste our time by half assingly read the US Constitution and bail to suck up to the press?

Just as much as we paid the gaggle that marched around the Capital when they passed the Health Care legislation...same thing, different group.

Post Script: If you are putting faith in any politician for that matter than you are putting faith into the notion that Government can solve all the problems that face this nation.
edit on 6-1-2011 by ownbestenemy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 06:28 PM
link   
reply to post by ownbestenemy

Post Script: If you are putting faith in any politician for that matter than you are putting faith into the notion that Government can solve all the problems that face this nation.

Interesting, can you explain to me the six degrees of separation in that thought? How does one go from pointing out the absolute complete failure of the GOP from successfully completing the first thing they tasked themselves to do, to trusting that government can solve all problems that face this nation?

Maybe there's someone else that can do a better job at solving problems that face this nation? Perhaps mega multinational corporations are the solution? Do you think that WallMart can successfully negotiate a peace deal between Israel and Palestine? Maybe Haliburton can solve global climate change. Maybe McDonald's can help with the overweight problem in America. OHH I got it AIG can help with the financial crisis this country is in!

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 12:42 AM
link   
Not only did the Republican leadership bail on reading the Constitution fully, they didn't even bother reading it as written.

Purpose Behind Congressional Reading of Constitution Questioned After Amendments Are Omitted

Even for a Congress known to battle over every little detail, reading the U.S. Constitution aloud sounded like a simple exercise.

Turned out it wasn't.

Newly sworn members of the House reading aloud the country's founding document on Thursday didn't recite every verse and article of the document because Republicans decided that the obsolete parts can be skipped since they've been superseded by amendment.

For instance, lawmakers did not read the 18th Amendment, which imposed prohibition on liquor in 1919. However, they did read the 21st Amendment, which repealed prohibition in 1933 and is still in force.

Republicans also left out the part about counting slaves and Native Americans as three-fifths of a person.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Read more: www.foxnews.com...

So, was it really a reading of the United States Constitution or was it a farce, a joke, a ploy, a fraud?
edit on 1/7/2011 by whatukno because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 01:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by jaynkeel

The emphasis on the Constitution won't end with the reading of the document. The House on Wednesday approved a package of rules for the 112th Congress, put forward by Cantor, that includes a provision mandating that all bills cite their constitutional authority. Read more: www.foxnews.com...

www.foxnews.com...

We shall have to see is this pans out as well.

Already caving on pretty much everything they promised their dear Tea Party.
GOP bends its own new House rules

After calling for a strict committee attendance list to be posted online, Republicans backpedaled and ditched that from the rules. They promised constitutional citations for every bill but have yet to add that language to early bills.

Tea Party? Still out there? Paying attention?

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 01:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by whatukno
Weren't they supposed to repeal that "hideous Obamacare" day one of the new congress? Well, let's chalk that up as LIE and FAILURE number 2 of the 112th Congress.

Well you know, they promised to do nothing that would add to the debt as well so they still have to figure out where to hide the $2Billion addition to the debt repealing it would cost. Seems like they are all in a corner, sniffing wet paint at the moment. I have faith the Tea Party will get right on this.

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 01:17 AM
link   
I truly wonder how those who bought / buy into the tea party movement are going to feel when they catch onto the wool that the 112th is pulling over their eyes? Politicians, almost universally, fail to appeal to me on any level. But the current batch of snakes we see in Washington are far more apt to bite than their historic predecessors. I mean there was a time when they at least tried to hide their lies and their crimes...

Now they mockingly read the Constitution as a means of some twisted form of foreplay before the real screwing of America begins.

To me this act was nothing different than the sheriff reading the foreclosure statement before posting it on your house and kicking you to the curb. There was nothing Patriotic about the reading of the Constitution by the 112th. It was nothing more than rubbing our noses in their disdain for the document. Republican / democrat, conservative / liberal, black / white... all pointless labels now.

From this point forward it is all about those with power and wealth versus those without. And it is very much a fight to the death.

How dare these hypocrites mock us this way? Am I the only one outraged by this act?

~Heff

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 01:58 AM
link   
This was a very symbolic moment. For those that walked out it demonstrated where there values are. They now have a big red target painted on their back that says 'I don't care'. I has been this type of attitude that is detrimental to the effective cohesion of government. It will not take much to find the dirt on them and kick em out.

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 03:51 AM
link   
Shall we say they finally found a way to fillibuster about 6 hours in time that could've been spent doing the people's work.

Ever read it cover to cover?, I have and it is very time consuming and if you know nothing about law and legal phrases you will get lost real quick.

This is the time for the entire GOP to either do one of two things, "Put Up or Shut Up!" as the noise and nonsensical bullcrud that continues to be spouted is not wanted nor needed.

Typical GOP Mantra, jump ship when things get either real or too hairy. Sound familiar anyone? If they can't stay put for at least 6 hours then this nation does not stand a chance.

Let's see what industry and market segment suffers or dies next as a direct result of this new mantra.

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 07:48 AM
link   
reply to post by TheImmaculateD1

The Constitution takes roughly 20 minutes to read.

THE LANGUAGE IS QUITE SIMPLE TO UNDERSTAND.

Where are you getting this stuff? Have you ever actually read the Constitution?

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 07:50 AM
link   
reply to post by whatukno

WUK

You do realize this CAN'T be done in 24 hours right?

Are you aware of how the process works? It's in the Constitution, and in published House rules.

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 07:56 AM
link   
reply to post by projectvxn

You do realize this CAN'T be done in 24 hours right?

Are you aware of how the process works? It's in the Constitution, and in published House rules.

I am being exactly as "Fair and Balanced" as Conservatives were when Obama was elected. I think that the fact that Obamacare hasn't been successfully repealed shows a complete and total failure of the GOP agenda. I think that the fact that the economy isn't completely fixed and we aren't running a surplus in the government with a near zero unemployment level is a complete and total failure of the GOP agenda. I think that the fact that we still have troops in both Afghanistan and Iraq and the war on terror hasn't been won shows a complete and total failure of the GOP agenda.

I am just being as "Fair and Balanced" as they were on January 20, 2009, I say what is good for the goose is good for the gander.

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 08:35 AM
link   
In fact, to be truly "Fair and Balanced" one has to ask, has anyone of these people read the “Repealing the Job-Killing Health Care Law Act”? Anyone? Does anyone know what's in it? For all we know this bill could contain legislation that would sell us all into slavery to China or force us to give up our first born children to medical research.

And why all the closed door back-room deals when preparing this bill? Doesn't seem very bipartisan to me.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join