It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chickens

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 10:23 AM
link   
reply to post by thegoodearth

I see an eagle about once a month or so... But usually it's just a 'fly-by'. Today, it seems to be appearing often. (I notice this when I step outside for a cigarette.)

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 10:24 AM
link   
I have 10 chickens and a rooster in So. Cal. They are all acting fine, even in the snow we had. I have had chickens for 10 years. They typically stop laying for a month or so around winter solstice, their bodies are little time clocks and like more light and probably heat, to lay regularly.

I've also had chickens die out of the blue, many times. This does happen. I don't have the money to have them autopsied, so I chock it up to being just chickens. I've never lost more than one chicken at a time, so I don't worry too much about bird diseases and mine are free-range too. I figure some got egg-bound, some might have been bitten by a black widow, some...who knows.

But since you started this thread, I will post if they start acting differently.

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 10:24 AM
link   
reply to post by JustMike

I live in Northwestern PA

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 10:40 AM
link   
Anybody bother checking out those pigeons fanciers. You know those people who hold pigeon races across country.....

Or do they only do that in Europe?? I have been trying to look for information but haven't found anything yet. They would seem like the perfect group of people to ask about recent bird behavior.

Apart from that, I posted this in an other thread earlier:

Birds and fish dying. Notice anything else..?

I have noticed the birds in my garden are whistling like it's spring time. It's the middle of winter here!! Never caught them doing that around this time of year.
My cat died last week from mysterious causes. As in, it wasn't run over or anything, no injuries, just laying on his side in the garden, dead. (He was 10 years old)
My dog stopped wagging it's tail for about a week now. Which is strange for a dog that chronically wags it's tail for no reason at all. And he keeps looking at me like I'm in pain, which I'm not!!

Other than that nothing else out of the ordinary really....

PS: Oh and my other cat won't come into the house anymore. It's freezing cold here but he insists on being outside. He'll come in for food for only a few minutes and starts crying like a baby to open the door when he is finished.....

Peace

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 10:43 AM
link   
reply to post by operation mindcrime

I thought about those people today too.
Also, I was wondering about the dolphins in captivity,
and other mammals in captivity, if they were acting strangely
(though I doubt that would be disclosed).

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 10:44 AM
link   
I mind dogs for two of my friends while they are at work every day. I also keep dwarf rabbits. All of these animals are behaving strangely, the dogs having started already the middle of last month. One of the dogs, a Havanese/Papillion mix has started to mysteriously gain weight (2gk or 5 lbs) over the past month and since NYE he will not go out for more than as long as it takes him to do his business, then he runs straight back inside and hides under someone's bed. The other, a German Shepherd, refuses to eat her kibble and will only eat sticks that we collect on walks. She has not lost any weight since her first week on this fast. She is also unusually aggressive to strangers - a behavior we had nicely under control till now.

My bunnies are well other than the occasional outbursts of thumping for no reason we can see. They do thump now and then but we can find the reason why pretty quickly. Now it's not so apparent. They refuse to leave their cage though, which is entirely out of character but like us, they change their preferences too.

Anyway, it seems all animals are aware of something and some are having it worse than others. Poor little critters.

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Just wanted to update - the helicopper was looking for someone - glad it wasn't related

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 01:25 PM
link   
reply to post by JustMike

I have a rooster (wasn't planned that way)

The only thing I can say about him is that he has been MEAN. He didn't use to be. Although his meaness started about a month or more ago, several weeks before the lack of eggs.

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 01:42 PM
link   
reply to post by spacekc929

I'm also in Western Washington....have you noticed the snow geese flying north? I've mentioned this in a couple of other threads. Another ATS member in our area had noticed the same thing.

It's good to hear that the chickens are probably on a normal cycle. I know a little bit about this, and thought we had gotten away with fooling them by turning the red heat lamp on. It had been doing the trick for several weeks, but I guess maybe instinct won out?

Now that other members have mentioned their dogs/cats....I must say that mine are very clingy today (as I struggle to type around the two poodles smothering me). Also, they normally love to go outside any chance they get. Yesterday and today they are pretty much refusing. It has actually warmed up, so it isn't due to cold. It's rainy....but it is always raining here. I don't know what's up but I'm going to have to start looking for wet spots soon.!!

I should add...both my dogs have proven themselves sensitive to quakes....this is different than before. AND...my normally outside cat has been wanting in this past three weeks...very odd for him.

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 02:13 PM
link   
Hi all. Upstate NY here, I do not own any animals, I would love to have fresh eggs daily but they are not allowed in my city. About two or three weeks ago my mother in law was driving to work and she told me that she saw tons of blackbirds in the road, just sitting there. She actually had to slam on the breaks because she thought they were going to move out of her way (as birds normally do when a vehicle is oncoming) but they just sat there until she came to a full stop and then just flew away.
Today at work (I am a cleaning lady) I did a clients house who is surrounded by woods, a residential area but quite woody. Usually half way through I go out for a smoke, watch her birds and listen to the woods. Today it was eerily quiet, only a bird or two at the feeder. One of the things I usually notice over there is the sounds of many, very loud and talkative birds. Today I heard only two different birds.
It is winter, albeit VERY mild so far and we are expecting snow, but there are certain birds that never seems to leave. There are usually flocks of blackbirds and smaller birds (sparrows?) flying from tree to tree in small flocks outside my home, ESPECIALLY when there is snow coming. I haven't seen them for quite a few days. There is also a lessening or chirping birds about my house.
Thats all, if I see anything else pertinent I'll be sure to post. I do hope your chickens perk up and your piggies too.

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Ive been watching and listening to ATS for 4 years now and now feel its time to join in this interesting time!!
I am in the UK and agree with this thread to join forces and correlate our own evidence.
Recently whilst driving i am experiencing more and more birds flying into my car, at first i thought ok the weather is cold and they must be slower but its getting almost a joke! And no im not driving fast!

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Hello there to all.

i am in Central Portugal in Europe.

last month 5 of my new chickens started to act odd, and have since died. my 4 egg laying chickens are healthy but are also sleeping in more than is usual for this time of year, ( they slept less when we had a freak cold spell last year with snow and ice with - 5 temps ,not normal for here )

they are also very quiet. one of them is normally VERY loud and likes to make herself known !!

Also my 1 year old cat is making so much noise this last 2 weeks .....he will not stop meowing and fussing around us. he has always been an affectionate cat but lately it has been crazy.

will keep you updated and will ask around some of my neighbours and local farmers.

thanks
snoopyuk

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 08:54 PM
link   
Thanks for all the replies and interest.
Hope everyone keeps updates and posts.

Saw on Yahoo that all of this is "normal".

I guess that is MSMspeak for "pay no attention for the man behind the curtain".

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 09:13 PM
link   
reply to post by mutantgenius

That's odd about the birds in the road for sure but I have a question unrelated please? Why doesn't the city you live in not allow fresh eggs to be sold there? I think that is odd.

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 09:17 PM
link   
Only thing I have to contribute to this thread is that I have noticed our huge flock of crows and ravens have disappeared all of a sudden. I heard one crow calling this morning, was glad to hear it but was only one. I spent some time this afternoon in my back garden, had a flock of little wrens in the trees but saw no bluejays or anything else. Cats and fish acting normal.

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 07:46 AM
link   
reply to post by berkeleygal

"That's odd about the birds in the road for sure but I have a question unrelated please? Why doesn't the city you live in not allow fresh eggs to be sold there? I think that is odd"

Hey Berkleygal, its not that we can't buy fresh eggs...we just cant keep chickens. City ordinances, you know? We actually have a pretty good availability to organic goods around here. Farmers markets and such, I'd really like to have my own though, it is something I want to learn and I am a hands on type learner, also I want those eggs baby!!
As for the birds in the road it was wierd, wierd enough for her to tell me about. She doesn't usually have much to say outside of work gossip and reality tv.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join