It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chickens

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 09:33 AM
link   
Those of us who have chickens, turkeys and the like
could be helpful in this whole "bird" phenomenon
by watching our flocks and posting any abnormality
we may have or do observe with our birds at home.

This thought struck me today as I was patiently waiting (yet again)
in puzzlement for my chickens...

They have been acting oddly for about a week now and I stupidly never
connected the dots until today.

I have heritage breed chickens that I let free range completely.
They stay on my property and are over a year old. They are very "tame".

They are very early "risers" and I know their "peccadillos" very well, just
as well as my kids little ideosyncracies.

However, of late, they have been "sleeping in".
This was not their behavior last winter (before I get a deluge of responses
letting me know that chickens "do this" in the winter- nor have they done this up to now)

They love their scratch grains, and only a blizzard gale will keep them in the roost past the
earliest strains of dawn.

However, they have not come out of their little house until past ten thirty for over a week.
And they are spookily quiet. Not "gabbing and gossiping". And they have been "going to bed" earlier as well.

And for the past 6 months, their egg production has sucked. I have searched and searched
for the answer to that, and talked to many veterans to no avail (though, funnily some complained of the same). They were doing splendidly, then suddenly, it was like a switch was pulled. Nothing changed in diet, or in environment.

Has anyone else with chickens/turkeys been watching their birds and noticing a change?

I also had an unexplained death last week. Just a dead hen in the yard. None of the others would go near it.
It was intact. Nothing had gotten to it.

Maybe it's just my birds and now I am getting weirded out because of this bird thing...

However, if there is a strange magnetic field problem, farm animals will be able to tell us a lot, I believe.

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 09:44 AM
link   
While I do not have any birds, Ido have a dog and a cat. The cat has been acting strange the past few days. I am also wondering about some magnetic interference with my animals. She has been on edge lately, like she is looking for something and has an attitude problem.

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 09:48 AM
link   
reply to post by liejunkie01

And no she is not in heat. Just acting strange.

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 09:48 AM
link   
I also have a few pigs, which are not free fed, they are pastured and fed on a twice a day schedule.
They have also acted strangely at feed time, almost hesitant to come get their food.
And we are talking about swine here, who have always come running at feed time.

That made me think they were sick.

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 09:53 AM
link   
reply to post by thegoodearth

Hi thegoodearth,

thank you for posting this information. It's helpful to have this sort of thing reported to see if any kind of pattern is emerging or any possible cause can be established.

I'm in the middle of Europe and we have no chickens anyway, but as I'm working on the assumption that you may be in Nth America, here's a quote from westcoast in her recent thread about rumbling sounds in her part of the PNW:

Now my chickens are a different story. They have been giving us five eggs daily for months now. The past four days have produced only ONE. Nothing has changes. Same light,food,water, etc. Maybe just the season....but it's wierd.

The entire post can be accessed here, and here's the link to westcoast's thread.

It might be worth contacting her and comparing notes.

EDIT to add: in regards to the single dead bird, I wouldn't be overly concerned. I used to live in the country and we'd see this sort of thing with our hens from time to time. Some of them just seem to have a rather more fragile constitution and can keel over with no apparent cause. There always is a cause -- perhaps an infection or possibly shock or even an internal injury of some kind -- but unless you suddenly have several birds die in a very short space of time, while it's sad to lose one it's not a serious worry in terms of all the others.

Best regards,

Mike
edit on 6/1/11 by JustMike because: I added an edit and fixed a linky.

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 09:54 AM
link   
This is wierd. I specifically clicked on your thread to see if you were going to be talking about egg production.

I mentioned this about a week ago in another thread of mine.

I have a very small flock of 6 hens and 1 rooster. We have been getting 5 eggs a day for months. All of a sudden, almost two weeks ago now, they stopped. They have a heat lamp, same food and everything else. Nothing has changed. Except for the eggs. Nothing for almost a week and then just one egg every other day.

I have been trying to figure it out. I hope there isn't a connection.

Edit to add: @Mike-LOL, we were posting at the same time!!
edit on 6-1-2011 by westcoast because: (no reason given)

link   

Thanks for the heads-up. ...imo, you can only 'keep watching' - but yes please, keep reporting here too!

I don't have chickens, just rescue pets who are "getting better" - they're too new for me to tell if anything is wrong. ...But they are all being quite ...attentive.

S&F btw

link   
reply to post by JustMike

That's what I am talking about with mine...
they were doing great, and then, nothing doing.
Thanks for replying!

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 09:56 AM
link   
reply to post by westcoast

Mine are also not coming out like they were...
And just acting fearful...
I am sad for them.
I know they are "just chickens",
but as a chicken owner yourself,
you understand what I mean.

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 09:58 AM
link   
reply to post by soficrow

Thanks,
I think if it is a "pole shift"
or "magnetic disturbance"
then farm animals and pets
will clue us in before our
wonderful government would
ever let us in on it...

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 10:01 AM
link   
reply to post by westcoast

Sorry about that, westcoast! I forgot to check if you were online. If I'd have noticed you were I would have simply sent you a U2U to check out this thread.

It is odd to hear these cases of birds going off the lay, though.

By the way, do either of you have a rooster in residence? If so, how is he behaving? Is he acting the same as usual?

Mike

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 10:06 AM
link   
I have a rooster.
All my chickens are acting quiet and unlike their normal behavior.

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 10:07 AM
link   
I don't have chickens... However, I have noticed the birds are acting weird today in my yard. I previously posted in a different thread that there were several birds hanging upside down, like bats, in my yard this morning. I now have about 50 birds outside, (a variety: black birds, sparrows, blue jays, woodpeckers, finches(? I think), and an eagle that have been "playing" wildly in my yard for a few hours. I am in the coastal Carolinas, but it is rather chilly this morning, (was mid 30's)... Up until today, there have only been a few birds at a time in my yard all winter. These birds are dive bombing the ground, jumping from limb to limb in the trees, and making a lot of noise... It's just not normal...

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 10:10 AM
link   
reply to post by journey2010

Wow, is it normal for an eagle to be in your yard?
I know they are more common down there, but he isn't hunting?

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 10:11 AM
link   

I have 3 flocks of wild turkey's that sort of "live" in the woods behind my house. Every day almost all day long they were either in my yard or in my fields this has been going on for over a year now - Every day almost every all day until about a week ago that is. I noticed it last weekend and mentioned it to my daughter stating - I wonder what's going on with the turkey's. They did come out yesterday afternoon - but only 1 flock and they were only there for 5 minutes - wierd..... Then today, there has been a helicopper buzzing around above my office - it's been buzzing around now for the past 4 hours (it's a government chopper). We never see helicopters here like this as it is a small city. While I was observing this out the window i noticed a huge and I mean huge flock of birds flying past. The wierd thing about the flock was that they were flying in single files and they were headed west. West being odd as we have this major storm headed our way and they were flying in the direction the storm is suppose to come from.

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 10:11 AM
link   

Hmm...Pigs going off their feed (inappetence) is always a cause for concern, because it can be symptomatic of pneumonia.

However, if pigs have some form of pneumonic infection there are often other indicators, such as coughing (especially early in the morning) labored breathing through their mouths (especially after any running), apparent weakness and so on. But if your pigs seem otherwise healthy then it's less likely they have a respiratory infection and so it's worth checking for other possible causes, including environmental and dietry ones.

Mike

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 10:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by liejunkie01
While I do not have any birds, Ido have a dog and a cat. The cat has been acting strange the past few days. I am also wondering about some magnetic interference with my animals. She has been on edge lately, like she is looking for something and has an attitude problem.

My old cat is acting like yours as well. I have 11, and they're all acting nuts lately. They blitz so much, I'm surprised I haven't seen footprints on my ceiling.

There are not that many wild birds out and about lately. Our weather's been relatively mild here. I live an hour away from where they found the birds in Wilson County, TN. I've not heard that much bird song this week nor seen that many in my yard. For a couple of days, I didn't see any birds at all.

A friend of mine's chickens aren't laying either. I hope they start again soon, or else they're apt to become dinner.

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 10:17 AM
link   
thegoodearth, if you are okay with it, could you give us a ballpark idea of where you are? No need to mention any city or town, even what state would help. Or, if you prefer, what chunk of the continent would be okay.

It's helpful to see if there's any regional link that can be established here.

Thanks,

Mike

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 10:17 AM
link   
reply to post by JustMike

No they are healthy.
They eat.
They are just acting strangely about coming to the food, is the best way to describe it.
Like the chickens.
It is so hard to describe it.
Apprehensive is the only way I can say it, I guess.
They are staying in their pen in the straw, and they are coming out, they let me scratch their ears and pat them...
they are very gentle too...
It is a strange thing.

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 10:23 AM
link   
The one dog at my parent's house is too old to really do anything strange, haha, she can barely smell or see or hear anything. But, I will share a little bit about the birds. First, on Christmas, there was a very strange occurrence. Now, we always have birds around our yard, so it's not weird for them to stop or anything, but, on Christmas, all of a sudden, it must have been THOUSANDS of birds were stopped in our yard during migration. Our whole family went outside because their chirping was actually so loud that it was interfering with the television (which is why we noticed) and there were hundreds to thousands of birds on all our trees - all chirping - then, they all flew away, kind of like they were just resting during migration, and they flew - well, Northeast. I think it's a bit strange for birds to be migrating the opposite direction.... then, just a few days ago, I noticed another flock of birds (just a normal size one) migrating Northeast as well. I find it very strange that they are migrating North so early - I mean, winter literally just begun, and it's not getting any warmer up here haha. So, that is my strange bird story, although I don't have any chickens or other pets that I see everyday to comment on. The chickens thing is kind of weird, but it's true that animals have an intuition about weather and natural occurrences that most humans just don't have. Maybe the animals are on to something...

Oh, btw, I am in Western Washington.
edit on 1/6/2011 by spacekc929 because: location

top topics

<<   2 >>

join