It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

**Gulf Oil Spill update: B.P. set to avoid Gross Negligence charge! (what the .....?)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 07:54 AM
link   

Shares rise as US commission blames 'systemic' causes for spill and analysts say DoJ inquiry unlikely to contradict findings

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/1684e484216d.jpg[/atsimg]
The national commission found no evidence the Deepwater Horizon blowout was the result of 'aberrational decisions made by rogue industry or government officials'. Photograph: Gerald Herbert/AP

BP is likely to be cleared of the potentially ruinous charge of gross negligence, according to City analysts, after a powerful US commission blamed "systemic" causes for the Gulf of Mexico disaster. Shares rose by more than 2% in trading this morning after Barack Obama's national commission released part of its final report into the disaster, ahead of full publication on Tuesday.

The report is the first of several parallel investigations, and will influence the crucial inquiry carried out by the US department of justice (DoJ). Unless new evidence comes to light showing that BP wilfully or singularly disregarded safety in the run-up to the world's biggest accidental offshore oil spill, the DoJ is unlikely to contradict the commission's findings and recommend a charge of gross negligence. BP is understood to expect the DoJ to conclude its inquiry in the second half of this year.

The national commission said its investigation found no evidence that the blowout which led to the disaster was the result of "aberrational decisions made by rogue industry or government officials". BP's contractors, the rig's owner, Transocean, and Halliburton, responsible for cementing the faulty well, were also found to be at fault. The report was highly critical of the now disbanded offshore regulator, the MMS, and Tuesday's full report is likely to recommend much tighter safety regulations for offshore drilling.

Source: www.guardian.co.uk...

Go ahead and read the source article. It goes on mostly about how much money BP is making and going to make as their Stock is now rising again due to this early report about the big report.

Disgusting. I bet no one is actually held accountable for anything when this is all said and done.

I saw yesterday that BP was saying they only needed about 10 billion for damages and not the full ,agreed to, 20 billion.

Tell me some big money didn't cross some hands on this one. It just smells of coruption(s)-all the way to the White House and on to England. They should all be made to pay-somehow.

Nope, just sweep it under the rug and hope another one doesn't happen....soon.

edit on 1/6/2011 by anon72 because: (no reason given)

edit on 1/6/2011 by anon72 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 08:15 AM
link   
S&F for you, Anon.

There were a number of threads here about the Obama-BP connection since this horrid disaster started, including this one:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

'Always made me think that this conclusion would eventually be reached by the DoJ. I hope that what I believe about karma and people who seemingly get off scott-free turns out to be true.

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 08:45 AM
link   
Between this story, all the new laws being implemented, and the videos of cops just blatantly abusing their power, I have to say that I hate this world. I hate it. I hate how corrupt everything is. I hate how we're destroying everything. I hate how everyones so divided. I hate how the elite know better, yet still push this world towards complete #, but most of all I hate how nobody cares. I'm sure people will act surprised when the world comes crashing down, and I hate that too. I hate how much hate I have for this world, and I hate that there's a real possibility of me losing my life because of other peoples arrogance. I love life. I love life so much that it infuriates me that our species is acting the way it is. God help us all.

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 09:09 AM
link   
reply to post by anon72

Dear Anon72,
First time I don't like one of your posts Sir/Madam. Have you been eating up the propaganda my friend? Surely you, of all people, realise that the work associated to the incident was sub-contracted to American companies (sorry but I can't be arsed to find the details, but I am 100% sure of that) who in fact were the ones who were negligent?

So.. in essence what you are saying is that Beyond Petroleum, not British Petroleum, should be blamed for the negligence of their sub contractors, right? That is a moot point, especially in the US were suing and liability has become a massive aberration and ridiculed by all other nations on the planet. I would agree that BP should have ascertained if the American companies were doing their job properly, however liability in itself should, and I pray will, fall on the contractors.

What I find truly horrific in all of this is the stance the American president chose to take to blame an English company (when it isn’t) and openly make hateful comments to the nations of the world. Diplomacy? Give me a break! Bullying was more like it, and I for one am not into bullying in any shape of form. Your post is just a continuation of the blinkered mindset here, unless I’m drastically mistaken.

Regards,
T

Edit - You actually quote and state the names of the companies.. Halliburton was the one that made me laugh. I wonder where the true backhanders went?

edit on 6-1-2011 by torqpoc because: Edit

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 09:47 AM
link   
reply to post by torqpoc

No, I agree that the contractors (some of them) are most likely to blame---also.

BP had the ultimate responsibility NOT to operate that paltform when they had evidence it was in error-weeks prior. The BP Mang mad the decision to continue drilling.

Unfortunately, it is going to take years of civil battle before the truth comes forth.

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 09:54 AM
link   
reply to post by anon72

Dear Anon72,
You reassure me there =)

What I would love to know, and I doubt anyone will, is if BP actually knew that the contractors had done a "shoddy" job prior to starting drilling. (just reread your post) You state they had evidence prior to starting drilling, may I ask where you got that information from? I was under the impression they were only aware post starting drilling.

Thanks for the response, much appreciated.

Regards,
T

edit on 6-1-2011 by torqpoc because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 09:57 AM
link   
reply to post by anon72

Money talks Bs walks
BP got money to talk them out of any trouble
why the un alerted walk near deaths door.
sad and many wonder why money may be a issue w/ true intelligent beings.
edit on 1/6/11 by Ophiuchus 13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 10:09 AM
link   

According to another cable, in January 2009 BP thought that a "bad cement job" was to blame for the gas leak in Azerbaijan. More recently, BP's former chief executive Tony Hayward also partly blamed a "bad cement job" by contractor Halliburton for the Deepwater Horizon disaster in the Gulf of Mexico. The blowout in the Gulf led to the deaths of 11 workers and the biggest accidental offshore oil spill in history.

Source

Read the Article...

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 10:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Shenon

Dear Shenon,
Nice article. Thank you for the link. I'm not sure if that was meant for me asking where the information came from showing BP knew there was a problem in the Gulf of Mexico prior to starting drilling or not? If so, either i'm blind or there isn't anything in that article. If not, apologies for assuming it might be meant for me.

Regards,
T

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by torqpoc
reply to post by anon72

Dear Anon72,
First time I don't like one of your posts Sir/Madam. Have you been eating up the propaganda my friend? Surely you, of all people, realise that the work associated to the incident was sub-contracted to American companies (sorry but I can't be arsed to find the details, but I am 100% sure of that) who in fact were the ones who were negligent?

I worked in the industry, I can tell you with 100% certainty that everything Halliburton (or any sub) does on a rig is reviewed and approved by the well's owner. Even on everyday production work, cementers show up with an established proven plan, but it is still run past the "company man" and approved before work begins. The contractors stay on site until the company man gives the work his OK. That is how it is done, ESPECIALLY on a difficult exploratory well. There is absolutely no doubt that at the end of the day, BP, not Halliburton, made the call to allow the subpar cement job to stand, rather than try to find a fix.
BP was under the pressure of thousands of dollars an hour operating costs that had already gone on much longer than planned, not Halliburton.

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 10:44 AM
link   

reply to post by Shenon

Dear Shenon,
Nice article. Thank you for the link. I'm not sure if that was meant for me asking where the information came from showing BP knew there was a problem in the Gulf of Mexico prior to starting drilling or not? If so, either i'm blind or there isn't anything in that article. If not, apologies for assuming it might be meant for me.

Regards,
T

"Bad Cement Job" is to blame for the Gulf Spill...the Reason for this link is...it happened before. So BP knew it could happen. But they didnt do anything about it,because it would have cost too much Money or BS like that.

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 10:54 AM
link   
reply to post by blamethegreys

Dear Blamethegreys,
Similarly I can find numerous examples where I have worked in other industries where contractors outright lie about the standard of their work, and through either trust or simple economics the company who contracted them does not "check" the work. This is where liability should fall on BP, I agree but I digress.

However your example and stating that it is a defacto thing based on experience is, without disrespect, not quite the same thing as affirmation of the fact or "proof" of BP's knowledge that there was a problem.

As I stated, if BP are proven to have had foreknowledge of the problem and still went ahead then liability should fall on their shoulders. Anything to the contrary is Halliburton's or whomevers responsability.

Proof, facts are what are truly required, not opinions when laying blame.

Regards,
T

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 10:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Shenon

Dear Shenon,
As per my other response to Blamethegreys, this actually proves nothing. I am sure you are aware of what can and can't be proven in a court of law. Something having happened previously, in another entirely different situation is circumstantial. I am being a devil's advocate I know, but your statement isn't actually anything based in facts, it is just "coincidence" when liability is at stake.

Regards,
T

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 11:08 AM
link   

reply to post by Shenon

Dear Shenon,
As per my other response to Blamethegreys, this actually proves nothing. I am sure you are aware of what can and can't be proven in a court of law. Something having happened previously, in another entirely different situation is circumstantial. I am being a devil's advocate I know, but your statement isn't actually anything based in facts, it is just "coincidence" when liability is at stake.

Regards,
T

You may be right,and im no Expert either,but my common sense says:

If i knew someone did a bad Job or made mistakes that could be fatal,i better ckeck the next Job very carefully or hire someone else. BP either didnt do that because it costs too much Money,or they did and didnt care to fix it because it could costs more Money.

Thats the way i see it anyway.

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 12:11 PM
link   
And, as I was thinking about this thread.

I don't think the report is soley focused on the sub-contractors/B.P. relationship.

As I indicated before, B.P. knew there were Issues---regardless of what they were they went ahead anyway. Bad decisions and negligent in light of what happened.

Had nothing happened at that time... say it happens next week, they would still be operating a improper device that they knew, or should have known, was defective.

Fact of the matter was, the money juice was a flying, the tills a filling and carefullness got tossed to the win...

I think it's called.....

GREED!

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/d86b4c3a7e4b.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 12:15 PM
link   
What?
Evil, corrupt, BP corporation not having to pay there dues
and get away with crimes?

Not that shocking at all, well not when you can pay off the people
who are suppose to be charging you for well under half the cost..

BP SUCKS!!

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 01:33 PM
link   
reply to post by thecinic

Unfortunately, they probably paid their dues.... to Obama and the administration. With a political gun to their head while a national-no international disaster was taking place.

Not a good position to be in for them. Got caught with their pants down and do to who they are, it appears that Money can make things go away.

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 09:04 PM
link   
I read a blog today that alleged the Gulf residents are finding red foam and odd things on the beach. They believe that BP and/or the Gov't is continuing to spead that banned oil disperser.

What the hell would RED foam be washing ashore be-other than those chemicals?

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 04:03 AM
link   
reply to post by anon72

Dear Anon72,
You may have missed this in your thread, but you state it here again. "They knew there were issues prior". Can you please provide a source to that so I can check it over and then change my point of view if they are valid facts?

I'd love to be corrected on this, but I simply cannot find anything which proves undeniably that they knew it was faulty prior to commencing the drilling. Post start of the drilling, well that's an obvious one.

Regards,
T

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 07:27 AM
link   
reply to post by torqpoc

Good Morning T.

Yes, I can understand you concern.

This was what I was referring to.... in my thread from months ago.

BP’s ‘Nightmare’ Well: Internal Documents Uncover Negligence!www.abovetopsecret.com...

The whole piece is good but I consider this part most damaging:

Halliburton, the company responsible for cement in the well shaft, recommended using 21 “centralizers” to position the metal tube that ran down the center of the well. An off-center tube would cause cement to harden at different rates, producing gaps and channels that could weaken its structure and increase chances of failure. BP used just six centralizers. A mid-April review of the well said “it is unlikely to be a successful cement job,” but BP declined to run a “cement bond log,” a day-long evaluation of the cement’s integrity. A crew that arrived expecting to perform the evaluation was sent home.

I hope this helps. Peace

top topics

<<   2 >>

join