It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Underwater Sculpture Park With Bodies

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 03:47 AM
link   
Well this is something you don't see everyday, amazing in the concept, the skills and the expressions, and detail of the characters. Sculpted by Jason deClaires Taylor, their are over 400 of them, and they were placed in Cancun, Mexico. They used the native people as subjects for the sculptures. The details are striking..... What a trip! Imagine in the future looking at these.

photos by Jorge Silva
The Cast

Artist

More than 400 of the permanent sculptures have been installed in recent months in the National Marine Park of Cancún, Isla Mujeres, and Punta Nizuc (map of the region) as part of a major artwork called "The Silent Evolution." The installation is the first endeavor of a new underwater museum called MUSA, or Museo Subacuático de Arte. Created by Mexico-based British sculptor Jason deCaires Taylor, the Caribbean installation is intended to eventually cover more than 4,520 square feet (420 square meters), which would make it "one of the largest and most ambitious underwater attractions in the world," according to a museum statement.
In doing so, Taylor hopes the reefs, which are already stressed by marine pollution, warming waters, and overfishing, can catch a break from the approximately 750,000 tourists who visit local reefs each year.
"That puts a lot of pressure on the existing reefs," Taylor told National Geographic News. "So part of this project is to actually discharge those people away from the natural reefs and bring them to an area of artificial reefs."
—With reporting by Fritz Faerber

Source

Peace,
spec
edit on 6-1-2011 by speculativeoptimist because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 03:58 AM
link   
... That is really cool! The attention to detail is amazing!

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 09:18 AM
link   
reply to post by faryjay

ver cool, now I want to run out and get my dive certification

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 12:38 PM
link   
reply to post by speculativeoptimist

WHOAA!!!!! AWESOME!!! YEAH!!!! THANK YOU FOR POSTING THIS.

S+F!! YEAH!!!!

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Thanks for the replies guys! Glad you dug these, I thought it was pretty surreal looking and I'd love to go snorkeling to see em'.
Thought I would add some vid for additional perspective...this is really awesome:

Peace,
spec
edit on 6-1-2011 by speculativeoptimist because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 01:08 AM
link   
An additional vid with new stuff and more detail...wow!

spec

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 02:58 PM
link   
The Bump

spec

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by speculativeoptimist

Oh MY! ...spec, where do you find this stuff?!?

It's wonderful. In so many ways. Work for local sculptors, immortality for local people, an adventure for tourists. What a perfect delightful endeavor.

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 08:49 PM
link   
reply to post by soficrow

Much thanks sofi, I'm glad it got bumped because this is truly a cool thing, like you say, all the way around. The realism is just incredible. I hope more get to see it.

spec

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 06:03 PM
link   
I found this OP in your sig from your cool Google Art Project thread. I'm definitely digging this too! One of the most fascinating art installations that I've seen in awhile. Thanks again for sharing, you've definitely got my number when it comes to art. Christo must be jealous & pouty looking at this.

Pleasant surprise with The Commodores too.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Wow this really is amazing probably one of the coolest things I've ever seen. Everyone really should check out the artists page for dozens more photos, thanks for sharing this with us spec.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 07:10 PM
link   
reply to post by The GUT

Howdy again GUT, and thank you for the kind words. Art is one of the best mediums for truth, imo, and I have been turned onto some awesome works, so naturally I wanted to share the experiences. You might dig the others in my sig too.
These sculptures alone are pretty awesome, but dropping them underwater in this setting is enchantingly surreal.

spec

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 08:11 PM
link   
Fascinating. Very lifelike and unusual offering.
Now I am wondering - Is there a message here ?
My reasoning is they basically look miserable, in my opinion.
Am I seeing things ?
Could this be saying "We are drowning in tourism pollution?" or "We are being oppressed?"
They just seem kinda desperate looking, although I appreciate the interesting concept !

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 08:35 PM
link   
reply to post by bigern

Thanks bigern, I appreciate you chiming in and I hope more people get to see this too

Peace,
spec

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 09:08 PM
link   
reply to post by CestLaVie

Ya know, there does seem to be more solemn expressions than those of joy or elation, although I do see some smiles. Perhaps it is a true representation of the people there, enduring hard times. The artist also wanted to capture a look that represents the feeling of buoyancy, a moment of suspended animation and blankness.
Here is a link to the artist's perspective and he goes into detail about the project. Here
There are even more pics there, adding to the scope of grandeur.
Part of the effort is to supplement the tourist attractions, and reduce heavy visiting to the coral reefs, which have been harming the ecosystem.

Thank you for commenting,
spec

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 01:47 AM
link   
All those pics and vid's reminds me of something, of war and battles I think, especially the last one of the monk on his knees. I just can't quite place it though, but it puts pictures in my head, but I know it was not a what you would define as happy thoughts. But that sums up live and civilization, statues in the mud, or in this case, under water.

They should put more statues underwater, thousands of them, hundreds of thousands of them, everywhere as far as you can see. Now that would be something to witness, diving underwater to see a city of statues, freaking spooky and awesome at the same time, definitely conveys lots of emotions. Though not much will be left of them with the passage of time, eventually they will become just unremarkable lumps, even if they are made of a more durable stone/material, but then again they might survive our current cities and civilizations.
But still it's pretty cool.

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 02:23 PM
link   
reply to post by galadofwarthethird

Hey galadof, I too get a sense of subtle apocalyptic vibe in the setting, but as mentioned above, the artist was trying to capture that moment of buoyancy and blankness one may experience upon being submersed.
I would love to see more of these, like on an entire underwater city level maybe. It would be interesting to see these things in the distant future and I'm not sure how long these things will last but I imagine a pretty good while.

Thanks for commenting,
spec

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Can you imagine?

Millions of years from now they will be discovered in a fossilised coral reef by whatever passes as intelligent beings.........................will they rebury it because "It's just too disturbing to think about".............?

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 07:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Khaaaaaan!!

It does make one wonder, but I think they would preserve rather than cover it. That is, unless it is the future Vatican recon wants to destroy it in an effort to hide true history!

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 07:37 PM
link   
I think there is something going on here that is related to the nlp and manifesting, possibly with their leylines and negative energy being pulled in by media, wars, starvation, sacrifices. In other words, this is like casting wishes in stone, to me. Don't like the idea, think its onimous and bloodline occult related. Something like the map of the snow covered northern hemisphere coming out just before all the snowstorms hit.
edit on 4-2-2011 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join