It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We Should Talk Up seti@home To Get More ATS Members Involved

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 01:23 AM
link   
I'm hammering the data as fast as I can right now after a long hiatus, and I'm gonna chase a few of you for stats. Those that have less processing power than me, I'll catch you....
Not being a dick, but I want some competition in my poor group of low total credit, because really, I feel I'm chasing some very large dragons.

( I'm still here for the science. )

That aside, I don't understand why more members of ATS don't give a little processing power to crunch some data for a project searching for signals from alien lifeforms ???

Get Boinc and install it:
boinc.berkeley.edu...

Select seti@home as your project:
setiathome.berkeley.edu...

You can set what your machine does for the project, so why not let it do some work when you don't use it

EDIT: This should be a link to the ATS member page:

setiathome.berkeley.edu...
edit on 6/1/2011 by anxietydisorder because: Needed to add a link

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 01:28 AM
link   
Yeah man, you're totally right, I've always been a big proponent of SETI yet I've never donated my idle CPU cycles...I'm downloading and installing the app as we speak, let's all help and find those alien mofos!

peace and love,

J

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 01:33 AM
link   
i think you might be right there mate, also gonna download it.

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 02:11 AM
link   
I'm hoping an ATS member will come along and post how to connect ATS users to the group we have going, and have had going for many years.

I see all these folks join ( over 500) , but only 22 are active contributors.

Join the abovetopsecret group and we can kick butt with the number of processors we run.

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 02:12 AM
link   
I have an i7 3.0 chip with 12 gigs of ram that I barely use since I got the iPad, so I'll download this on my computer tomorrow.

Will I be part of an ats team already? Or do I join? What's the point of groups?

What does it do?
Maybe I should go look.

Pred..

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 02:43 AM
link   
reply to post by predator0187

You will need to join the ATS team, and I think it's part of the sign-up process, but it's been a few years since I set up my acct.

Just set up your acct. with your user name on ATS, then figure out how to associate it. Once you have that figured out, let everyone else know the steps.
I can't seem to get those pages for setting up because I already have an account set to the ATS group.

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 03:21 AM
link   
Downloaded and installed . . . a very good idea that I had totally forgotten about.

I will have to pass the word to a few friends again and make sure they are still running it.

To assign yourself to the AboveTopSecret team all you need to do is go to "Your Account" in the Boinc software. This will redirect you to the Seti@home account page . . . click "Account" again and you will see a link to search for a team on the right of the page. You will then see the AboveTopSecret team list and simply select "Join".
edit on 6-1-2011 by nonnez because: To add team info

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 05:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by predator0187
What's the point of groups?

What does it do?

Pred..

You don't need to join any group at all.

You can crunch the data solo just for the science. The groups only add a sense of challenge amongst members of sites with a common interest. It's like the point system on this website, or any number of status type rewards that mean nothing, but seem to be offered all over the web.

Go out there and try to find alien signals any way you want, but I find for me, that being part of a group gives me more incentive to upgrade my rigs to chase the next person on the ATS member stat page.

Yes, I'm easily distracted by shiny objects.

new topics

top topics

join