It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ok, no more lurking!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 09:08 PM
link   
Hello ATS. I've been lurking for about a year, but thought it was finally time to become more involved!

Since I was a kid (I'm 29 now), I have been interested in the unknown and mysterious side to life. I didn't explore this as much as I got older, although have always felt that there is much more to life than meets the eye. I found conspiracy theories interesting but nothing more than amusing, until a couple of years ago, when my wife and were signed up to this personal-development sort of seminar, and the night before we were due to go, we thought we'd just check out on youtube what other people's experiences of it were. Turns out they were mostly negative, and the organisation was rather cult-like in origin. Needless to say we pulled out of the weekend! It is always fun to view the related videos to the one just watched on youtube, and this led us on an eye-opening journey through cults and then onto the wild and wacky world of conspiracy theories.

Some were definitely 'out there', but others seemed to have a point, and the world that I thought I knew suddenly became slightly less safe and assured. Like many people first exposed to this sort of thing I came across a certain A. Jones and the terrifying world he presented left me shaking and hanging onto his every movie/article. Over time (and after finding ATS) I came to the conclusion that whilst there are undoubtedly some sinister backroom dealings going on amongst those in power, things aren't immediately bleak enough to load a backpack, grab a shotgun and run to the hills! I think that things are more of a middle ground between the two views of "all is doomed" and "all is well, nothing to see here". Be aware of what's going on around us, but don't live in a state of perpetual paranoid fear.

Which is something I've really appreciated with ATS. You get the full spectrum of views - from the most extreme tinfoil-hatters to the most cynical debunkers. And everything in between. I also love that ATS is much more than just a consipracy theory forum, but is a legitimate alternative news portal, and provides discussion of so many other topics yet all the time with this attitude of not just accepting the 'official' view of things.

Online as in real life, I tend to listen and observe much more than I speak or contribute, that's just my personality, but I will jump into threads here and there as I feel I have something to add. Look forward to seeing you guys around

Cheers.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 09:16 PM
link   
Welcome to ATS!

Thank you for sharing your story about how you came across the conspiracy world and eventually the ATS website.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 09:16 PM
link   
Hi,, Glad to see you've made the leap and joined.
I think there is a wide range of people on this site and they can be nice too,,, with and with-out their tin foil hats on

edit on 5-1-2011 by guohua because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 10:06 PM
link   
Thanks for the welcomes guys

Yeah nothing wrong with donning the tin foil from time to time; it can be good to challenge one's perception of the world, keeps you on your toes.

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 10:59 PM
link   
reply to post by soldier_ant

Explanation: Flagged!

Personal Disclosure: Welcome! OL is sure a mod will be along soon to help out with an informative post etc. I also recommend utilizing the green chat voyuer function on the ATS tool bar to the bottom of most ATS webpages [aka the ribbon]! It will enable you to watch who and what is being posted in chat but unfortunately you wont be able to join or chat back until your post count reaches 200 posts or so.

Reply to this post with the reply function up top right of this post and that'll be another post towards your mandatory 20 posts before you can start your own threads

Please message me using the message button on far left ATS tool bar if you require any further help whatsoever!

Peace and much love!

Sincerely OL [OmegaLogos]

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 11:39 PM
link   
reply to post by OmegaLogos

Thanks for the welcome and tips Omega.

I've come across a lot of your posts over my last 12 months of lurking, and have always appreciated your insights. I feel honoured to have one of the ATS 'heavyweights' post in my thread!

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 11:42 PM
link   
Hello and welcome to ATS

Hope you have some fun!
Looks like we have another Aussie to add to the collection

Sorry about the cricket

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 11:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by davespanners
Hello and welcome to ATS

Hope you have some fun!
Looks like we have another Aussie to add to the collection

Sorry about the cricket

Garrr don't talk about the cricket haha

Actually it is good to see a competitive English side once again (it's been a couple of decades
). The roles have well and truly reversed! Trott, Cook, Anderson, Tremlett etc, you have some serious depth there. I am intrigued to see how you go against India later in the year.

new topics

top topics

join