It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shift of Earth's Magnetic North Pole Impacts Tampa Airport

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 03:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by tarifa37
Absolutely nothing to worry about read my post a couple above.

Giant Breach in Earth's Magnetic Field Discovered

Dec. 16, 2008: NASA's five THEMIS spacecraft have discovered a breach in Earth's magnetic field ten times larger than anything previously thought to exist. Solar wind can flow in through the opening to "load up" the magnetosphere for powerful geomagnetic storms. But the breach itself is not the biggest surprise. Researchers are even more amazed at the strange and unexpected way it forms, overturning long-held ideas of space physics. "At first I didn't believe it," says THEMIS project scientist David Sibeck of the Goddard Space Flight Center. "This finding fundamentally alters our understanding of the solar wind-magnetosphere interaction."

science.nasa.gov...

Scientists stumped... but yer right nothing to worry about

Solar Wind Loses Power, Hits 50-year Low

Sept. 23, 2008: In a briefing today at NASA headquarters, solar physicists announced that the solar wind is losing power. "The average pressure of the solar wind has dropped more than 20% since the mid-1990s," says Dave McComas of the Southwest Research Institute in San Antonio, Texas. "This is the weakest it's been since we began monitoring solar wind almost 50 years ago."

How unusual is this event? "It's hard to say. We've only been monitoring solar wind since the early years of the Space Age—from the early 60s to the present," says Posner. "Over that period of time, it's unique. How the event stands out over centuries or millennia, however, is anybody's guess. We don't have data going back that far."

"The solar wind isn't inflating the heliosphere as much as it used to," says McComas. "That means less shielding against cosmic rays."

Scientists stumped... but yer right nothing to worry about

Pole Shift... no magnetic shield around Earth for several days (well the Scientists don't REALLY know how long), so no shield against Cosmic radiation...

...but yer right nothing to worry about

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 03:50 AM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Well if the solar winds are at a low, less of it will pass through the breach in the magnetosphere, right?

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 04:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

Maybe we need solar-winds to rotate on our axis the same way a basketball needs someone to spin it in order to stay on a persons finger. Stop spinning the ball and it starts to lose its axis.

I don't have any clue if this could happen in a planetary orbit, and I am not saying we are going to "fall off of the sun's finger" either. I am just saying, the weakened winds COULD have something to do with an axis/polar shift.

(I'm not sure if axis shift was brought up earlier, but if the poles shift I am willing to bet the axis and equator will as well.)

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 04:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon

Pole Shift... no magnetic shield around Earth for several days (well the Scientists don't REALLY know how long), so no shield against Cosmic radiation...

Yep, that's really it. Doesn't mean anything will happen, just means we are more susceptible to CME's and unprotected for a period of time. Could be nothing or could be the end of life as we know it. Anything from knocking out a few satellites & the power grid to massive ELE or even getting part of our atmosphere blown off.

No reason to raise any alarms as there's nothing we can do about it, though It would be nice to have a pass to one of those underground safe zones if such an event occurs.

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 05:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Human_Alien

Okay. The magnetic pole shifted. The PTB play this event down all the time. But isn't that a concern? Won't the core soon follow?

In a nutshell, no.

Since it was first discovered in 1831 it has been on the move. Recently the pace has been increasing as the Russians try to steal it from the Canadians.

Of course since it was only discovered recently, almost in my youth you could say, we don't know if this is normal or not.

The magnetism of our planet is pretty small.....

SGR 1806-20 has a magnetic field that is a quadrillion times stronger than that of the Earth.

Wikipedia

This produced the largest earthquake we have ever witnessed - a Magniture 32!

32.0 1×1021 yottatons 4.2×1030 YJ Approximate magnitude of the starquake on the magnetar SGR 1806-20, registered on December 27, 2004.

Wikipedia

'The scientists' think the core is solid iron (creases me up every time I read that) and the core is always shifting since the rotational speed of the core is not the same. This article actually give a hint that this may not be iron. I personally think it is plasma - so prove me wrong!

Anyways, none of this is out of the 'ordinary' at present, and no telling if it will go that way or not.

Re-painting other airports will follow if this is enough of a movement to prevent ILS (Instrument Landing System) from bringing an aircraft down in the right place (if that uses magnetic bearings which I assume it does)

edit on 6/1/2011 by PuterMan because: (no reason given)

link   
let's go back to Tampa, the one it is all about : why just only Tampa ??
if this is all about magnetic shift why not all the other airports ??
what about the shipping around the world ??
somebody knows more about this practical questions ?

link   

Originally posted by verylowfrequency

Originally posted by zorgon

Yep, that's really it. Doesn't mean anything will happen, just means we are more susceptible to CME's and unprotected for a period of time. Could be nothing or could be the end of life as we know it. Anything from knocking out a few satellites & the power grid to massive ELE or even getting part of our atmosphere blown off.

No reason to raise any alarms as there's nothing we can do about it, though It would be nice to have a pass to one of those underground safe zones if such an event occurs.

It would need really strong CME to blow our atmosphere away, so that is not to worry about. Major problem would be global blackouts. That would be disaster for northern hemisphere this time of year. No electricity -> No gas flow -> No heating.

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 05:19 AM
link   

I tried a compass that has been in storage since I was younger. North has appeared to swung to the right more than I remember (before seeing this thread too I may add). I'll check vs gps. My aeronautical maps put my area at +20 east magnetic deviation from map north, I will do some checking tomorrow and see if 20 degrees is still accurate.

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 05:32 AM
link   
im not convinced this would cause birds to die off at that rate if you look into the patterns and types of birds dying youl'e see its almost as if they were targeted

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 05:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by akapapasmurf
im not convinced this would cause birds to die off at that rate if you look into the patterns and types of birds dying youl'e see its almost as if they were targeted

Many of the fish and birds are reported to have died due to the cold.
Maybe the change in the magnetic field affected their navigation senses or disorientated them..
Who knows.??
edit on 6-1-2011 by backinblack because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 06:00 AM
link   
reply to post by endtimer

your joking right...? no matter where you are you will always have a compass point north even if the north magnetic pole is over africa

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 06:10 AM
link   
I wanted to visualize the movement of magnetic north. I used the info from Wiki: Earths's Magnetic Field and plotted them on Google earth.

The Distance of the line is 309 miles.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/132b93a57d55.jpg[/atsimg]
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/673017e49393.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 06:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sunlionspirit
let's go back to Tampa, the one it is all about : why just only Tampa ??
if this is all about magnetic shift why not all the other airports ??
what about the shipping around the world ??
somebody knows more about this practical questions ?

I may have a silly question. I thought that most planes navigate via GPS. What affect would a change in the magnetic field have on any other instrumentation? I understand weedwackers very thorough explanations, so other than providing a visual reference to a degree heading, why would we even care what a runway is named.

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 06:19 AM
link   
In the Hollow Earth theories magnetic north is not a point on a map.

A compass will indicate that you have arrived at 'the North Pole' when you reach any point on the edge of the area several thousand miles across, which encircles the area of gradual descent into 'inner earth'.

This could explain why the 'pole point' appears to be moving - just a different point on the edge of this area is being used for navigation purposes.

Now that puts a spanner in the works don't it?

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 06:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by GhostR1der

I tried a compass that has been in storage since I was younger. North has appeared to swung to the right more than I remember (before seeing this thread too I may add). I'll check vs gps. My aeronautical maps put my area at +20 east magnetic deviation from map north, I will do some checking tomorrow and see if 20 degrees is still accurate.

Map North?

True North is the direction along the earth's surface towards the geographic North Pole. ( the place at the "top of the world" where the map Latitude reads 90 degrees.)

Magnetic North is the point on the surface of the Northern Hemisphere at which the Earth's magnetic field points vertically downwards.

edit on (1/6/11) by AllSeeingI because: for code link edit

edit on (1/6/11) by AllSeeingI because: BBCODE

edit on (1/6/11) by AllSeeingI because: typos and redundancy

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 06:29 AM
link   
reply to post by peter_kandra

The same reason we name the streets and highways. Gotta know who is going where so we can avoid collisions.

Most pilots use GPS, as well as other Navigation devices such as ADF, VOR, and NDB radio navigational beacons. Also use a floating compass and a heading indicator.

You never know when one or many of your aircraft systems could fail, so having multiple sources of information helps reinforce correct decisions.

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 06:45 AM
link   
The dance of the Magnetic North Pole from 1590-2010.

Note the rapid movement increase at the very end of the video 2000-2010... The most rapid movement the pole shift has experienced in 420 years is happening right now.

source: GEOMAG

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 06:53 AM
link   

New research shows the pole moving at rapid clip—25 miles (40 kilometers) a year.Over the past century the pole has moved 685 miles (1,100 kilometers) from Arctic Canada toward Siberia, says Joe Stoner, a paleomagnetist at Oregon State University.

Related article from National Geographic: news.nationalgeographic.com...

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 06:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Paroxysm

Wouldn't really mess up human navigation, as we rely mainly on GPS now.

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 07:19 AM
link   
i think that this is interesting, i thought that this might have been the case.chances are that everything in the world like the other airports arent going to be affected yet, but i bet in a month or 2 several more airports may be affeted by this

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join